The History Book Club discussion

A Tale of Two Cities
This topic is about A Tale of Two Cities
HISTORICAL FICTION > A TALE OF TWO CITIES - TOC AND SYLLABUS

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 05, 2011 11:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bentley | 44168 comments Mod
This is the thread for the table of contents and syllabus for the book:

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Table of Contents: (thanks to Becky Lindroos)

A Tale of Two Cities (Signet Classics) by Charles Dickens by Charles Dickens Charles Dickens

Table of Contents

Signet Classic Edition

ISBN-10: 0451526562 | ISBN-13: 978-0451526564
Publication Date: August 1, 1997

Introduction by Frederick Busch ix
Preface to the First Edition xvii

Book the First—Recalled to Life

I. The Period 13
II. The Mail 15
III. The Night Shadows 21
IV. The Preparation 25
V. The Wine-shop 36
VI. The Shoemaker 47

Book the Second—the Golden Thread

I. Five Years Later 61
II. A Sight 67
III. A Disappointment 73
IV. Congratulatory 86
V. The Jackal 93
VI. Hundreds of People 97
VII. Monseigneur in Town 109
VIII. Monseigneur in the Country 118
IX. The Gorgon's Head 123
X. Two Promises 134
XI. A Companion Picture 141
XII. The Fellow of Delicacy 148
XIII. The Fellow of No Delicacy 152
XIV. The Honest Tradesman 156
XV. Knitting 166
XVI. Still Knitting 177
XVII. One Night 187
XVIII. Nine Days 192
XIX. An Opinion 198
XX. A Plea 208
XXI. Echoing Footsteps 209
XXII. The Sea Still Rises 219
XXIII. Fire Rises 225
XXIV. Drawn to the Loadstone Rock 231

Book the Third—the Track of a Storm

I. In Secret 248
II. The Grindstone 256
III. The Shadow 262
IV. Calm in Storm 267
V. The Wood-Sawyer 272
VI. Triumph 278
VII. A Knock at the Door 284
VIII. A Hand at Cards 289
IX. The Game Made
X. The Substance of the Shadow
XI. Dusk
XII. Darkness
XIII. Fifty-two
XIV. The Knitting Done
XV. The Footsteps Die Out Forever

Selected Bibliography 369

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Feb 12, 2012 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Syllabus to follow: (thanks to Becky Lindroos)
Table of Contents

Signet Classic Edition
ISBN:
ISBN-10: 0451526562 | ISBN-13: 978-0451526564
Publication Date: August 1, 1997

Week One - February 6 - February 12
(pages ix - 24)
Introduction by Frederick Busch ix
Preface to the First Edition xvii
Book the First—Recalled to Life
I. The Period 13
II. The Mail 15
III. The Night Shadows 21

Week Two - February 13 - February 19
(pages 25 - 60)
IV. The Preparation 25
V. The Wine-shop 36
VI. The Shoemaker 47

Week Three - February 20 - February 26
(pages 61-92)
Book the Second—the Golden Thread
I. Five Years Later 61
II. A Sight 67
III. A Disappointment 73
IV. Congratulatory 86

Week Four - February 27 - March 4
(pages 93 - 122)
V. The Jackal 93
VI. Hundreds of People 97
VII. Monseigneur in Town 109
VIII. Monseigneur in the Country 118

Week Five - March 5 - March 11
(pages 123 - 155)
IX. The Gorgon's Head 123
X. Two Promises 134
XI. A Companion Picture 141
XII. The Fellow of Delicacy 148
XIII. The Fellow of No Delicacy 152

Week Six - March 12 - March 18
(pages 156 - 191)
XIV. The Honest Tradesman 156
XV. Knitting 166
XVI. Still Knitting 177
XVII. One Night 187

Week Seven - March 19 - March 25
(pages 192 - 224)
XVIII . Nine Days 192
XIV. An Opinion 198
XX. A Plea 208
XXI. Echoing Footsteps 209
XXII. The Sea Still Rises 219

Week Eight - March 26 - April 1
(pages 225 - 255)
XXVIII. Fire Rises 225
I. In Secret 248

Week Nine - April 2 - April 8
(pages 256 - 283)
II. The Grindstone 256
III. The Shadow 262
IV Calm in Storm 267
V. The Wood-Sawyer 272
VI. Triumph 278

Week Ten - April 9 - April 15
(pages 284 - 312)
VII. A Knock at the Door 284
VIII. A Hand at Cards 289
IX. The Game Made 301

Week Eleven - April 16 - April 22
(pages 313 - 338)
X. The Substance of the Shadow 313
XI. Dusk 327
XII. Darkness 331

Week Twelve - April 23 - April 29
(pages 339 - 368)
XIII. Fifty-two 339
XIV. The Knitting Done 350
XV. The Footsteps Die Out Forever 362

Week Thirteen - April 30 – May 6
Book as a Whole - Final Thoughts

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Synopsis of Book:

First published in 1859, A Tale of Two Cities is one of Dickens's most famous and popular novels. This stirring tale, set in the late eighteenth century against the backdrop of the French Revolution, is a novel for all generations. Filled with adventure and love, revolution and terror, it transports the reader to a time of political upheaval and solutions by guillotine.

Source: Goodreads

Vincent (vpbrancato) | 1245 comments I'm in starting Feb 6

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terrific Vince; we will be sending out an event notification soon so be sure to check yes.

message 6: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (va-BBoomer) | 210 comments I just came across this; if I can, I'll try to join this one. I haven't read this since my junior year English class in high school - and that was a million years ago!

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

That is great Virginia.

message 8: by Becky (last edited Jan 07, 2012 08:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments No need to have the same edition, but there's a Signet edition available for free from Goodreads - click the book and read where it says "read book."

I have the Barnes & Noble Classics edition but I'll try to find the corresponding page numbers in the Signet and use them for references as needed.

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks for letting folks know Becky.

message 10: by Mick (new)

Mick (mcedeez) | 11 comments Count me in! I just downloaded the book and am ready to go.

Darcy (drokka) I'm looking forward to this as well. Thank you for the information about the Goodreads version, I was wondering how to figure out the page number with my ancient Penguin Classics edition.

message 12: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glad that all of you are ready to go on this one.

message 13: by Debby (new)

Debby | 15 comments Count me in on this one! This is one of my most favorite books ever!

message 14: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glad to have you with us.

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments Good to see you all with us! Sounds great to me.

message 16: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Mortensen Count me in too. This book club experience is all new to me. I'm having fun and look forward to the process.

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary Thornell (esgaroth) | 3 comments I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK.

Even wrote a fanfiction for it. And got it published by a small time press.

I found a lithograph of one of Frederick Barnard's rendering of the guillotine soliloquy - just beautiful...

message 18: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish (plumadame) Somehow I made it through two years of high school British Literature without reading this book. Looking forward to finally reading Dickens.

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments Sharon wrote:
"I found a lithograph of one of Frederick Barnard's rendering of the guillotine soliloquy - just be..."

I've seen a couple of the reprints (in books and the web) where did you find this gem?

message 20: by Becky (last edited Jan 25, 2012 08:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens by Charles Dickens Charles Dickens is a very good book - not his standard fare, though. Some like it better than the' usual tales, others less so. I think my favorite Dickens is Bleak House by Charles Dickens but that's a bit different, too - not Great Expectations by Charles Dickens or David Copperfield by Charles Dickens . I think possibly A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens is more powerful - it's certainly a bit darker - my opinion, of course.

message 21: by Debby (new)

Debby | 15 comments Becky wrote: "A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickensby Charles DickensCharles Dickens is a very good book - not his standard fare, though. Some like it better than the' usual ..."

Nice one Becky, I'm impressed that your favorite is Bleak House by Charles Dickens Bleak House! I will admit that I found that piece of work a bit more difficult to get into, despite the amazing-ness of those first few paragraphs, but once I got going it was great! Dickens is an absolute master of description. I would even credit him, and A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens A Tale of Two Cities especially, with inspiring my love of history. If I could meet any author from history, he would be at the top of the list.

message 22: by Mary (new)

Mary Thornell (esgaroth) | 3 comments Becky wrote: "Sharon wrote:
"I found a lithograph of one of Frederick Barnard's rendering of the guillotine soliloquy - just be..."

I've seen a couple of the reprints (in books and the web) where did you find ..."

I happened to be in an antique mall and came across it. It had a few mold spots on it and was in a wood frame that had square nails in it (they stopped making square nails in the 1930s). I had it restored and reframed. The really funny thing was on the day I found it, I discovered I no longer had my high school copy of TOTC so I went to B&N to buy a new one, and the exact same picture was on the front cover of the new reprint! It was serendipity LOL. The print I found in the antique store wasnt water-colored though...

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments What a great find, Sharon! I'm kinda green.

message 24: by Razoor (new)

Razoor Just joined the group. I have never read Tale of two cities before, but I am really looking forward to reading it in a group. I went out and bought the Barnes and Noble classics edition. dont know much different it is from the signet edition

Kelly (kmkell84) | 3 comments I read this book my Sophomore year in high school (12 years ago) and loved it! It's my favorite book by Dickens - though that's not saying much because the only other book I've read by him is Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens and I didn't finish it lol. Really looking forward to this group reading.

I am new to Goodreads and am not familiar with the free books they have on this site. Is it possible to download the Signet edition Becky mentioned to an e-reader or must you read it on a PC?

K

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments You can download a freebie of A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
from Amazon or Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/98
or several other places.

I haven't been able to locate a free version with an "Introduction" or with the "Author's Preface to the 1st edition." There is an introduction at Victorian Web but it has spoilers. I'll see what I can do about that.
http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/d...

message 27: by Marilee (new) - added it

Marilee (hatchling) | 31 comments I had downloaded a free version to my Kindle last year, but hadn't read it yet. I'm looking forward to it, as this is one of the few Dickens novels I hadn't read. I'm currently "reading" 3 other books [1 NF, 1 audio, 1 F on my Kindle] so I'll wait to start Two Cities until the club start.

message 28: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 31, 2012 10:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Becky, the citations please, I sent you a couple of PMs, thanks. Bookcover, author's photo when available and always the author's link. For every book and author.

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments Marilee wrote: "I had downloaded a free version to my Kindle last year, but hadn't read it yet. I'm looking forward to it, as this is one of the few Dickens novels I hadn't read. I'm currently "reading" 3 other bo..."

Hi Merilee - glad you got the book - next time please use the proper citation method - book and author photo and link.
Like this:
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens by Charles Dickens Charles Dickens

message 30: by Becky (last edited Jan 31, 2012 10:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments In fact, while I'm here - we need proper citations from everyone on every post every time you want to say the name of a book or author. Please use the correct citations. Like this
Bleak House by Charles Dickens by Charles Dickens Charles Dickens

message 31: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thank you Becky for the corrections. For those newbies who need assistance, they can always go to the Help Desk folders and get some needed very detailed directions from the Mechanics of the Board thread.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

And of course the assisting mods can help too.

message 32: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Feb 02, 2012 08:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Folks, there are many free ways to download or read this book on line.

Here is another one:

http://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/22/a-tale-o...

Both an ebook and mp3s (audio too)

message 33: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Folks, the event notification is up; please make sure to let us know on that thread who will be joining Becky for this discussion: (just select yes and the team will know of your interest and participation). I know a few of you said you were getting the book already on this thread and we welcome you to the discussion which begins in four days.

http://www.goodreads.com/event/show/2...

message 34: by Thom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 12 comments I'm ahead. I hope that isn't a problem. I've just started Book II Chapter VIII Monseigneur in the Country.

message 35: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Feb 04, 2012 03:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well it is if you are putting information about future chapters in non spoiler weekly ones. But you can place spoilers in the glossary thread and the book as a whole thread. Or make sure that your comments are specific to the page numbers being discussed at the time or for pages already discussed.

Mandy I am ahead too Thom, I am going to be careful to keep comments relevant to where the group are up to.

message 37: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terrific Mandy thank you.

Darcy (drokka) Is it just the Penguin version (the one I have) that has chapters 1 through 15 in book 3? In writing the syllabus into my calendar I noticed they are numbered differently. I guess it doesn't matter much though, the names are the same :)

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments Each book has its own chapter numbers. Book 1 has chapters 1-6, Book 2 has chapters 1-24 and Book 3 has chapters 1-15. I suppose the Penguin edition could be numbered differently. On the Goodreads e-book site, after you open the cover, you can click in the upper left corner to see the contents.

http://www.goodreads.com/reader/496-a...

Hope this helps.

message 40: by Darcy (last edited Feb 10, 2012 07:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Darcy (drokka) Ah, okay. I was wondering because the syllabus is not numbered that way (i.e. Week 9, The Grindstone is listed as XVI, rather than II of Book 3).

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments I'm not understanding something. As far as I can see, the Syllabus matches the Table of Contents in the Goodreads book except I used Roman numerals like in my e-book edition. (Maybe the Penguin edition is different?)

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens by Charles Dickens

(Book the Second)
GR Book: Chapter 9 - The Gorgon’s Head
Syllabus: IX. The Gorgon's Head

(Book the Third)
GR Book: Chapter 2 - The Grindstone
Syllabus: II. The Grindstone

The only XVI in the Syllabus is for Book the Second: Still Knitting

Darcy (drokka) This is what I see. Could it be a server thing?

(pages 256 - 283)
XVI. The Grindstone 256
XVII. The Shadow 262
XVIII. Calm in Storm 267
XIX. The Wood-Sawyer 272
XX. Triumph 278

Week Ten - April 9 - April 15
(pages 284 - 312)
XXI. A Knock at the Door 284
XXII. A Hand at Cards 289
XXIII. The Game Made 301

Week Eleven - April 16 - April 22
(pages 313 - 338)
XXIV. The Substance of the Shadow 313
XXV. Dusk 327
XII. Darkness 331

Week Twelve - April 23 - April 29
(pages 339 - 368)
XIII. Fifty-two 339
XIV. The Knitting Done 350
XV. The Footsteps Die Out Forever 362

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments Found it! The Chapter numbers in the Third Book (Week 8) start with I but the next chapter in Week 9 is XVI.

I think that can get corrected pretty pronto. (Server error - heh! My bad. )

Thank you! :-)

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 1217 comments Syllabus Correction
The chapter numbers in the Syllabus got entered wrong (by me). This is the way they should go. The above official Syllabus will be corrected asap.

Week Eight - March 26 - April 1
(pages 225 - 255)
XXVIII. Fire Rises 225
I. In Secret 248

(pages 256 - 283)
II. The Grindstone 256
III. The Shadow 262
IV Calm in Storm 267
V. The Wood-Sawyer 272