Debates of all sorts discussion

92 views
Other > Using the word retarded as an insult

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
I added this on an impulse... Anyways.

Do you think this needs to stop being used?


message 2: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
I think it should probably stop being used and it's insulting to those who are mentally challenged BUT I have a few problems with it. It's insults them when it's used as an insult due to it being used in the medical community to describe them. But not to long ago (1900's I think) moron, stupid, and idiot were all also used as well to describe different degrees of mental illness... But we don't have a problem with them...


message 3: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Yes. There's no need for it. My solution: use dumb as shit instead. It'll get your point across, be more offensive, and won't hurt the feelings of another whole group of people.


message 4: by Brielle (new)

Brielle (briebrie5) I think it should stop being used 2. I have a cousin who is mentally retarded and it makes me think of him every time someone says it. Just use dumb or stupid instead.


message 5: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 399 comments Mod
I dislike the use of the word "retarded" and "gay." Why should these labels be used in a derogatory manner?

One time some big-shot at my school kept talking to another guy alike, saying that x was day and y was "faggy" (probably a bad sports game) and I turned around and politely asked him to stop saying those words. He asked "well, why should I?" and I said "some people are offended by it." He got the hint, I think.


message 6: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
I agree but like I said... What about stupid, moronic, and idiotic. Those all used to describe mental illness.

But gay definitely needs to stop being used.


message 7: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 399 comments Mod
You do have a point, though. Perhaps we have come to accept those but we learn that "retarded" isn't PC? I'm unsure of those origins.


message 8: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
I can't remember when it's use was stopped in the medical field but Moronic, stupid, and idiot were all just varying degrees of mental illness. But they're not used anymore and they haven't been for a while so I think it may be that people just kinda forgot.


message 9: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 399 comments Mod
I know I was surprised when I found out that people used those words in the medical world back in the day ..


message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Its not right to call someone retarded when they're not because everyone has problems at some point of time whether they know it or not or admit it.


message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Yeah. People may laugh, so they will keep that person as a friend, but its not really making anything better, people who can't (ex.) run fast (I actually can't.), it doesn't mean their disabled all of the time. I'm just not fast, I'm not retarded. This was just something I wanted to say.


message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Okay. Its fine with me. My point is that REAL people are mentally retarded and they can't do anything about it. Its the way they are kinda forced to. While other people may just be challenged at doing something and someone says they're retarded (insulting of course) and it hurts that person's feelings and its offending real metally retarded people.


message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Yes, but its still mean. I even say it. Hyprocrite or whatever. But I know its wrong. I think its ok to say it only to your friends is my point because they know you're kidding.


message 14: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS If you are talking about making it illegal...fmhdsjklhslkghlskgjklfgjfklgjfklgjfdlk


message 15: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Well, its mean, but it doesn't have to be illegal though. I mean, we can't exactly stop it that easily.


message 16: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) I'm with Nina.


message 17: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
The speaking of any word should never be made illegal. that is censorship which I am completely against.


message 18: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
Yeah, I think most people don't really think of mentally ill people when they say 'retarded' in a negative way...I say it from time to time, I don't think it's much of a big deal as long as you don't say it in like...a formal situation or something :P


message 19: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 399 comments Mod
It's the same thing as saying "that's so gay" as well .. personally I have a problem with it, but ah well.


message 20: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
C especially - it's an offensive word currently being used against homosexuals, so you shouldn't use it because it reinforces the negativity. The word 'retarded' actually isn't used as much to apply to mentally ill people anymore, I think...people usually say 'autistic' or whatever the problem is specifically, at least from what I've noticed, so calling something 'retarded' isn't much of an association with mentally retarded people.


message 21: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Raven wrote: "Well, its mean, but it doesn't have to be illegal though. I mean, we can't exactly stop it that easily."

Lol, that was confusing.

Honestly, if you are joking around with your friends, it's fine. But it can really hurt someone, and is a general insult, so you just have to be careful.


message 22: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Tenebris In Lux wrote: "I dislike the use of the word "retarded" and "gay." Why should these labels be used in a derogatory manner?

One time some big-shot at my school kept talking to another guy alike, saying that x ..."


I use the word retarded because when I first heard it, nobody ever told me it was referring to people.

What makes me really upset is how people can use the word "lame" or "dumb" when they used to be describing people who couldn't walk or talk, yet they don't have an uproar about it.

When I call somebody a retard, I'm not saying that they're mentally challenge, I'm saying that they're an idiot. I don't call mentally challenged people stupid or idiots or anything, because they have something genuinely wrong with them whereas the moron that takes five minutes to walk a foot in the hallway is just being plan stupid.

I also don't like using the term "gay" to describe things. It just doesn't make much sense, and is especially offensive because that's what people are still called today. I just never understood why people say stuff is gay.


message 23: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 399 comments Mod
Funny enough, "Idiot" used to be a legit term to measure someone's mental ability as well. Though I don't find it offensive due to the fact doctors don't use that term anymore. One could only wonder how slang works, no?


message 24: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
'Sblood used to be a swear word =D


message 25: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis So did 'zounds', and it was pronounced 'zoonds'.


message 26: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
Indeed, and 'slight sort of.


message 27: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Tenebris In Lux wrote: "Funny enough, "Idiot" used to be a legit term to measure someone's mental ability as well. Though I don't find it offensive due to the fact doctors don't use that term anymore. One could only won..."

Good point there. I mean, on the IQ scale they used to have "moron", "imbecile", and "idiot".


message 28: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Aleph wrote: "Raven wrote: "Yes, but its still mean. I even say it. Hyprocrite or whatever. But I know its wrong. I think its ok to say it only to your friends is my point because they know you're kidding."

Yea..."


Exactly.


message 29: by Cody, Ninja (last edited Nov 26, 2011 02:13PM) (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
I already said that... message 2... but I said stupid not imbecile...


message 30: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) I don't know... I'm just saying.


message 31: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Hrrrm, this is a tricky one. I support freedom of speech, so part of me doesn't want to object to what people say––even though it can be hurtful. I don't encourage insults like "gay" and "retarded," but I feel like a lot of the time, people don't mean them as harmful to groups of people. It just slips out because they're used to hearing it. That is, I think the meaning behind such words is wrong, but people who say these things aren't always bad people. I don't think I've ever used "gay" as an insult, but I do occasionally find myself saying "retarded"––not about people, but about situations. Like, "Oh, that's so retarded." I try to stop myself, and when I do say it I feel bad, but ... I don't know. I feel like it's worse when people are directing these insults at other people. When someone calls another person "gay/fag" or "retarded" that's what pisses me off more.

Sorry, that explanation made like no sense...


message 32: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Yeah ... I mean, when it's being used to mock someone purposefully, that's the worst. I still don't really like it when it's used to describe situations and whatnot, but at least then it isn't being used as maliciously.


message 33: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
I never call anyone gay... Alas I've been calling people retarded my whole life, trying to curb it, but it's difficult sometimes.


message 34: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 132 comments well, I'm just gonna throw in my 2 cents- I don't understand AT ALL why it's not okay to say "retarded" but it's perfectly fine to say "dumb as shit" or "idiot." how can someone help being an "idiot" any more than another can help being a "retard?" you're born with your intellectual capacity, whether it's at an extreme or in the middle. in fact, the lesser the disability, the more likely it is that the person would actually have their feelings hurt.

anyway, I don't think it's ever really the terminology- letters can't actually hurt anyone. it's the intent behind the words.


message 35: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) I don't like retarded as an insult. Its so mean and they might have a family member who is retarded, the health way, not insulting. Then they (retarded people) are probably getting teased at their school or where they work.


message 36: by Isaac (new)

Isaac *refreshing thoughts*

Mm'kay. I don't call people retards. If I ever did, it was muttered because they were walking two miles an hour in front of me in school. I don't nearly say it as much as I used too. I only use it now when something is so stupid I just say, "That's freaking retarded."

For the gay thing. I have never understood that insult. I mean, just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's gay. As John Greene has said about his videos, how can his video be gay when gay refers to a sexuality of a human person? Does that mean the video is now attracted to a certain gender although the video doesn't have a gender?

And then when people call others gay it makes me mad. Gay is still such a widely-used term, and it offends people. Homosexual people themselves, gay-rights supporters, and even people against same-sex marriage. YOU DON'T CALL SOMEONE GAY BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE THEM AORHEOAPFUSATHOAPEWUR >.<

Ahhh it drives me crazy.

Back to the retard term.

I have never thought of a mentally-challenged person as a retard, which I think explains why I used it so loosely about stuff.

Now I pretty much use "moron", "idiot", etc. Maybe that's not much better, but I guess it isn't as controversial.


message 37: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
"I have never thought of a mentally-challenged person as a retard, which I think explains why I used it so loosely about stuff." This sentence describes my problem exactly, I never associated retardation as an actual medical term, I just thought it was an insult like idiot and moron.


message 38: by Me (new)

Me (inactiveaccount) I dont like it when people say mentally retarded -___-


message 39: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
I don't even mind if people say 'gay' negatively without actually talking about gay people. I know what they mean, and most people (around here, at least) are really accepting...it's just an expression. Same with retarded. As long as there's a separation between the two meanings, I think it's fine. -.-


message 40: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ I think that's the issue I have, too. Since I don't think of it as, well, its literal meaning, I sometimes have difficulty not saying it. However, I know it deeply offends some people so I make a conscious effort trying not to say things like, "That's retarded" even if I don't mean it to be offensive. Sometimes it slips out ... but I almost always correct myself afterward. x_x


message 41: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ That's an excellent speech, Rachel. :)


message 42: by Ally (new)

Ally | 3 comments Mello wrote: "Yes. There's no need for it. My solution: use dumb as shit instead. It'll get your point across, be more offensive, and won't hurt the feelings of another whole group of people."
True, but you spout that off in public school and they're all over you with DT slips.


message 43: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
Brigid/Rachel: But see, I don't even think about 'retarded' as anything like Down Syndrome. The two are totally unconnected for me unless I have to think about it in this context (like if I'm debating it). I don't really even see a problem with it...:P


message 44: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 132 comments Rachel wrote: "I wrote a speech for English and posted it on my Tumblr. It pertains to this subject.

http://cest-mon-histoire.tumblr.com/p..."


that is a good speech!


message 45: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
Some people don't particularly care...I have a friend who I think is autistic (by which I mean she never said it outright but she's sort of hinted at it) and she uses it more than anyone else I know.
But that's besides the point, yes. If somebody points it out to me and says they're offended by it, I try and make a point to avoid saying it around them...but other than that, I don't see why it can't be used in a context where it's not aimed at anybody in the 'you're autistic etc' way. Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to other people >.<


message 46: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
Heh. Um, thanks. :)


message 47: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ ♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "Brigid/Rachel: But see, I don't even think about 'retarded' as anything like Down Syndrome. The two are totally unconnected for me unless I have to think about it in this context (like if I'm debat..."

Well, other-Rachel said this already but yeah ... Just because you don't see a connection between them doesn't mean that other people do. But in response to your other post, it's good that you avoid saying it around people who are personally offended by it. That's pretty much my tactic, I guess. I try to not say it, particularly around people who are personally opposed to it––and I try not to say it at all, but sometimes I just do for the same reason. I mean, if I say it in front of one person who I know isn't offended by it, and I don't mean it in its literal meaning or in an offensive way, I don't really see the harm. But, I guess in more public spaces or around people I don't know well, I try not to say it––because, you know, you never know who's listening and might get upset by it.

Probably none of that made sense...


message 48: by Isaac (new)

Isaac I say it more to myself than anything. Like a muttered word when I'm mad at things and people.


message 49: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 17, 2012 09:44PM) (new)

The word retarded really shouldn't offend anyone... it's a medical condition.

If you think about it, the people who would be offended by it don't even understand the term.

This is more PC bullshit being crammed down our throats by the same people who want to take the word "nigger" out of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn.


message 50: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 18, 2012 10:12AM) (new)

Rachel wrote: "Did you know that medical professionals no longer refer to mental disabilities as "retardation?"

The term "developmental disability" is more popular, which still means retarded.

Rachel wrote: "And most people with special needs are NOT oblivious, as you and others seem to think. They are not stupid. They know when someone's insulting them, even if they don't know what the insult means—which, by the way, they do."

Excuse me, but we are discussing the word "retard", which means, by definition, "hindered", "delayed" and "slow". You can call them something else but they are still operating with a 70 or lower IQ. A number of these people didn't see it as an insult until someone told them that should be insulted.

Let's not be dishonest here. It wasn't dubbed an insult until some PC tight asses made an issue out of it because of the misuse of the word.

I called my brother a penis the other day, should that be labeled a bad word? Should we start making PSAs because that medical term is being used as a form of "insult"?


« previous 1
back to top