Reading the Chunksters discussion

General Archive > The Chunksters Read-a-thon Official Thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 187 (187 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Well folks, here we are. Please post your thoughts, progress, etc. here throughout the day.

Thanks for paticipating!

message 2: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Woohoo! I have my coffee & figured I'd check in before I got back to reading Soulless. It's surprisingly delightful and I hated having to put it down last night.

message 3: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Denae wrote: "Woohoo! I have my coffee & figured I'd check in before I got back to reading Soulless. It's surprisingly delightful and I hated having to put it down last night."

I've read that. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. Though, I do have the next two books in the series as well. Been meaning to give them a read.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie What am I tackling first? The Mists of Avalon 591-651 (Chapters 10-13)

message 5: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) I'm starting with:

The Walking Dead, Book Seven by Robert Kirkman

message 6: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I did some reading last night and early this morning then slept some more. Now back to reading. :-)

I'll start with Rebecca page 191.

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne | 137 comments I'm going to start with reading Oliver Twist since I have 3 chapters left to read for next week's discussion. After that, I'm going to try to finish Gulliver's Travels. It is on my list of books that I said I would finish this year (another group- need to read 12, and I've only finished 8 so far). I keep reading other books rather than finishing it.

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I'm starting my morning off with Vanity Fair!!

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Andrea wrote: "I'm starting my morning off with Vanity Fair!!" you poor thing, good thing you had a lovely breakfast! :D

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie ok, so i read 3 pages of Mists of Avalon and then got sidetracked into researching Guy Fawkes day...and, found this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/polit...

while i am not British, it is easy to see how those 'what-ifs' could have come true.

loretta, thanks for putting this on the 5th, so i'd learn more about a day in history i knew very little about! :D

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) I'm starting with The Cat's Table.

message 13: by Mikki (new)

Mikki I've started with [Book: Embers] and am enjoying it so far.

message 14: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Finished:

Roughly 150 pages (the pages aren't numbered, but I was halfway through the book before I started today, and it's 304 pages long...)

5 stars. I freakin' love this series, and this latest installment was excellent.

message 15: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Okay, moving on to Oliver Twist now, which I'm doing half audio/half reading.

On page 105.

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie http://articles.chicagotribune.com/20...

ok, i'm really going to read my book now...really...

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Loretta wrote: "Finished:

Roughly 150 pages (the pages aren't numbered, but I was halfway through the book before I started today, and it's 304 pages long...)

5..."

they do seem fun, one of my students was talking about them and i researched them a bit.

message 18: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Finished another section of Rebecca ... What a great gothic tale. Now I'm going to try for another few pages in Wizard's First Rule. Hoping to make some progress in it. This is my 3rd attempt to read it and I think this read-a-thon might do the trick.

message 19: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) I finished Soulless and am dithering over what to move onto next. I may read some more of Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain. It would provide a break between fiction reads. Don't know if I will finish it though. It's one of those that requires some digestion.

Tracy (A Good Novel) I'm starting with Doctor Who: The Stone Rose. Bit of light reading before I get into something heavier later on!

message 21: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Time: 10 - 12 am
Book: Vanity Fair
Pages: 372 - 413
Total Pages: 41
Comment: Now tht I am almost hal way into this book I guees I do like it...hahah

message 22: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Tracy wrote: "I'm starting with Doctor Who: The Stone Rose. Bit of light reading before I get into something heavier later on!"

I love Doctor Who... never tried any of the novels, though.

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Time: 9 - 11.27 am (CST)
Read: Two articles (mentioned above); Mists of Avalon
Pages: 6 pages (articles); Mists (591-625)
Total Pages: 40

Andrea, I love your template!

message 24: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 885 comments Well, it's still not 10:00 out here in the Pacific NW, but I know it's long past that back East and the official start of the RaT, but rushed through Saturday chores to get here ASAP.

Will start with something light to get the RaT started: Samuel Johnson's Essay "The Boarding House."

BTW, a question of protocol. Is it acceptable to respond to/comment on/ask questions about others' reading, or is that inappropriate as diverting time and attention from the task of actually reading?

message 25: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) @ Everyman: Totally appropriate to comment on what others are reading. I think my main motivation here was to turn reading (by definition, a solitary activity) into something much more social. So comment as much or as little as you like.

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Twitter #hashtag: #RCRaT feel free to use it there! :D

message 27: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 885 comments 9:40 PDT (Stephanie, is it really CST where you are, or is it still CDT with CST not to arrive until tomorrow morning? I know some areas don't go to Daylight time -- is yours one?)
Finished warm-up essay, Johnson's "The Boarding House." Not particularly deep, but amusing little essay on what he could learn of the previous inhabitants of the 5th floor boarding house garret he was then occupying; do you ever try to learn about the people who inhabited a room or apartment before you? Or is ignorance bliss??

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Everyman wrote: "9:40 PDT (Stephanie, is it really CST where you are, or is it still CDT with CST not to arrive until tomorrow morning? I know some areas don't go to Daylight time -- is yours one?)
Finished warm-u..."

i just laughed with nerdy delight! no we have CDT. CST tomorrow! :D love it! this is also something my husband would've noticed!

i'm nosy i like to know what is happening at all times...it's the teacher (?) in me i guess. :D

and, finally, i've been missing your comments, everyman, noticed that you've not been reading Mists and i just don't have the time to read more than one chunksters at a time!

message 29: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) @ Everyman: I actually find it impossible not to learn at least a little about the people who live in an apartment before me. Mail forwarding doesn't always kick in right away, so I end up finding out which stores they've ordered from, which charities they've given money to, and occasionally even where they've worked.

message 30: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Hi everyone, got started a little late due to the luxury of sleeping in!

I'm reading the fabulous Pulitzer play
Long Day's Journey Into Night

Just starting Act Two, Scene Two.....

message 31: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Up to page 144 in Oliver Twist now, so got through 39 pages in about an hour and 15 minutes. Need a little break from it, so trying to figure out what to turn to next...

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Any of you Nosy Parkers live in NYC? Try learning about your neighbors there. Depends on the building, but it can be rough. Everyone is on stimulus overload and don't want to meet their neighbors. The only caveat is if you both have dogs. Then you get to know the names of the dogs and what they eat and all about their life. But you may not actually know the first name of your neighbor.

That was a difficult lesson for me to learn having moved to NYC from CA.

message 33: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) I was born and raised in New York City (though grew up in a house, so it's a little different).

I feel like any major city is like that though. I lived in D.C., and am in Boston now, and you just don't talk to your neighbors much... only neighbor in D.C. I really ever chatted with was this one guy because I'd found his cat in the hallway a couple times.

message 34: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristina3880) I finished Club Dead and The Magician King
I will start The Night Circus after I finish grocery shopping. In the car I will be listening to Dead to the World

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) I'm now reading The New York Times Book Review; That counts, right?

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Loretta wrote: "I was born and raised in New York City (though grew up in a house, so it's a little different).

I feel like any major city is like that though. I lived in D.C., and am in Boston now, and you just ..."

I agree that it's a general big city phenomenon. You see, the cat got you talking to your neighbor. Animals break down the walls.

message 37: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Anne wrote: "I'm now reading The New York Times Book Review; That counts, right?"

Yep. Let us know if there's anything new and noteworthy we should be reading. :)

message 38: by Stephanie (last edited Nov 05, 2011 10:47AM) (new)

Stephanie Time: 11.27-12.42 am (CDT) :P
Read: one article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/fi... Mists of Avalon; It's Time for School Mouse
Pages: 6 pages (article); Mists (625-633);(children's book)
Total Pages: 14; children's book 24

message 39: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) I'm continuing with A Storm of Swords. I started this morning on page 590, with a pot of coffee. I'm currently on page 650. I'm out west, so it's only 10:50 am. I'd love to finish this book today.... 600 more pages??

I love seeing what everyone else is reading!

message 40: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Just got home from what was probably our last camping trip of the year. We'll see.

Listened to an hour and a half of The Zookeeper's Wife. No idea how many pages that would be. :-)

Will do a few tasks, scare up some lunch and then back to reading.

BTW, Everyman, the other book I'm reading is all about learning about the person who lived there before ... Rebecca ... lol

message 41: by Izzy (new)

Izzy Holmes | 46 comments 17.49 in Britain which means its dark as we changed our clocks back last week. Realised I'm a slow reader but 100 pages into my Karin Slaughter crime novel. Fascinated by the different time zones in other parts of the world. Going to try and finish the book in one sweep.

message 42: by Anne (new)

Anne | 137 comments Loretta wrote: "I was born and raised in New York City (though grew up in a house, so it's a little different).

I feel like any major city is like that though. I lived in D.C., and am in Boston now, and you just ..."

I've noticed that about neighbors in big cities too (I used to live in Milwaukee and now I live in the Twin Cities). I've lived in the same apartment for 6 years, and I only know the name of one of my neighbors. I've spoken to a few others when fire alarms have gone off but that's about it.

I'm now on page 248 of Oliver Twist (finished chapter 27). It was really hard to stop there and not keep reading, but I don't want to get ahead of the group. All sorts of horrible things keep happening, but I'm still enjoying the book. If it wasn't a group-read, I would probably finish it off this weekend because I really want to know what will happen next. I can't believe I never got around to reading this book before.

Time to switch to Gulliver's Travels for a while before I have to leave to volunteer at the library. I'm on page 121 (of 343). I have really been struggling to get into this book. I hope I start to like it more soon.

message 43: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) I'll catch up to you on Oliver Twist soon, Anne. Just had to do a little switch for an hour. I'm about to start chapter 18.

message 44: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Okay, started and finished Buffy the Vampire Slayer Retreat (Season 8, Vol. 6) by Jane Espenson .

4 stars. Might move straight onto the next one.

message 45: by Juliette (new)

Juliette I finished Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
I'm not too sure about it. It took a long time to get me interested. It's soo much like Twilight that I really felt the characters were stale.

It doesn't help that I'm a Buckeye fan and the game started at noon (two hours ago). Though to be honest I do read during the games all the time, it's one of those wierd superstitions of mine. I read while they're playing and if they start falling behind I read upside down on the couch (feet on wall, thighs on back of couch, back on the seat of the couch, head hanging off). I was about to give the stats on how well that works, but since the game isn't over, I would prefer not to add to the negative column today.

Time to catch up on East of Eden. I'll read this past weeks section and move into next.

message 46: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) I'm reading slowly today, despite the coffee I've consumed. 115 pages to finish Soulless and just wrapped up 52 more pages of Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain. Moving on to Oliver Twist for a bit.

message 47: by Anne (On semi-hiatus) (last edited Nov 05, 2011 11:28AM) (new)

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Loretta wrote: "Anne wrote: "I'm now reading The New York Times Book Review; That counts, right?"

Yep. Let us know if there's anything new and noteworthy we should be reading. :)"

Loretta, I thought The Barbarian Nurseries: A Novel by Héctor Tobar sounded interesting. A GR friend just gave it a five-star review. She lives in LA where the story takes place. I was born and raised there.

Also an article on 1Q84 Book 1 and Book 2 by Haruki Murakami which is getting a lot of press now.

message 48: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 885 comments Grandchild interruption!

Two grandchildren (4 and 18 mos) came to visit. (They live right next door and are in and out frequently, especially on weekends.) But I managed to be true to the RaT and read them stories, so I'm going to count those -- Fox on Duty and Fox all Wet.

Now back to Lucretius.

message 49: by Juliette (new)

Juliette Way to go Everyman! I bet they loved it too!

message 50: by Juliette (new)

Juliette Denae wrote: "I'm reading slowly today, despite the coffee I've consumed. 115 pages to finish Soulless and just wrapped up 52 more pages of [book:Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain|1297985..."

How is Musicophilia? That's on my to read list, I just don't have it yet.

« previous 1 3 4