Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Ultimate showdown Harry Potter vs Percy Jackson vs Twilight vs Hunger Games vs Artemis Fowl vs Alex Rider vs His Dark Materials vs Narnia vs Lord of the Rings

Comments Showing 1-50 of 115 (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Romario (last edited Nov 05, 2011 05:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Romario Tell me which one is your favourite and why. I know some of these books are not related to each other so please don't keep mentioning that.

Juliet Harry Potter. Percy Jackson. Hunger Games. In that order because I read them in that order. I love them all because the characters are just awesome and the stories are fascinating. I love all of them.

Juliet I also love Artemis Fowl but it's not one of my favorites. I still really enjoyed it though, but it took a while for me to get into them and I didn't really like where the series was heading in the last few books.

Barry I am afraid you ask the impossible of me. I have read all the books of all these series except His Dark Materials (which if it is in this list then I will probably like it).... let me think... well excluding HDM since I haven't read it, I believe my order would be Alex Rider, The Hunger Games, Harry Potter,Percy Jackson, Twilight and Artemis Fowl. The first four in my list are all neck in neck for first (I deleted and rewrote this list like 6 times now lol) the last two are also neck in neck with each other. Loved 'em all, and I'll be looking for His Dark Materials.

I do feel this list was missing a few good series such as Narnia, Lord of the Rings, and the Inheritance series (Eragon, Eldest, ...)

Lord Voldemort THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE! Choosing which one is the best is impossible but the worst was Twilight. HP + Percy Jackson + The Hunger games + Artemis fowl + Alex rider + His dark materials contain some fantastic characters. I love the characters in the books and the story line in each book so it is hard to choose which one is best.

message 6: by Kal (last edited Nov 10, 2011 02:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kal So, it just occurred to me that while the Twilight vampires would kick any other vampire's ass (because they're OP), avada kedavra, or maybe reducio (if that's the right spelling) would probably take them down. So I guess England is better than America after all.

Okay, that's a joke. The serious answer is that HP is the best one I've read so far without having read Alex Rider or (more likely) Hunger Games.

message 7: by Allison (last edited Apr 18, 2012 03:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Allison HP is the best (come on, it's a classic!) i've only read the series about TWENTY TIMES!! :) just kidding not that many. next would be The Hunger Games (although Mockingjay disappointed me.. *tear) Then Percy Jackson, then Alex Rider (although it seems like the author just keeps going on and on, is it true that ANOTHER book came out this year? by about # 8 (Crocodile tears) I just got bored... I never actually read it...) Then Twilight, the first book was pretty good but the 2nd one.... ugh gag me!
Never Heard of Dark Materials .....
only seen the movies for Lord of the Rings and Narnia so... yeah

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 10, 2011 08:05PM) (new)

Well I love Harry Potter series the most because the plot is well thought out and intricate yet there are no loopholes and everything clicks in sync perfectly.
Then for Percy Jackson... I don't like Percy Jackson and the Olympians series so much because I prefer the one after it, The Heroes of Olympus which is about the same world but with a couple new characters added.
I detest twilight. Never read any of the others mentioned, but what about the Lorien Legacies? I love that series!

And I love the Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan, the author of Percy Jackson and The Heroes of Olympus!
The Hunger Games series is pretty good but not one of my favorites because of the excessive (and, in my opinion, overdone and a bit unneeded) romance, but, like I said, just my opinion...

AnnieB OHHHH! Hard Question!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, Artemis Fowl, Alex Rider, His Dark Materials, Narnia, Lord of the Rings, and Twilight will be utterly and unequivocally annihilated.

Now, with that settled, the Hunger Games doesn't stand a chance against against Percy Jackson.

So, in what would be the most epic battle ever Percy Jackson vs Harry Potter, Harry Potter would Avada Kedavra Percy Jackson's butt faster than you can say Rip-Tide. :)

AnnieB HUNGER GAMES

Fiona Yonkman I'm not even going to attempt to answer this question. You can't compare apples to oranges.

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) Harry Potter. Percy Jackson and the Olypians.The Hunger Games Trilogy. ALL AMAZING

Emily Honestly. We all know it's true. Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and Lord of the Rings all would have to fight for the number one spot. I think Katniss would totally destroy Percy though, just because she's tougher than him by a long shot.
But then when it gets to Harry and Katniss I'm totally at a loss for words. I LOVE THEM BOTH!!!

Michael I do not care much for 'Lord of the Rings' since it was force fed to me in school. So, it's a toss up between 'Harry Potter' and 'His Dark Materials'. They are the only two titles that really flow together well, in my opinion, to make one truly epic story.

message 16: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Uhmm... The Hunger Games, Artemis Fowl & His dark materials... Or maybe His Dark Materials, The Hunger Games and Artemis Fowl...
Well, and the other I don't like them very much, so...

Shelby Harry Potter is the uniting fabric of my childhood. I spent every book release at Borders waiting until midnight so I could start my book. However, His Dark Materials is the superior series. The idea itself is of epic proportion, and Phillip Pullman is the superior writer. Harry Potter comes in a close second, with Artemis Fowl coming in third, and Hunger Games in fourth. HG was a great story, but the writing quality of AF was much better, and the story line much more focused on action, rather than romance. Narnia and Twilight don't even compare.

Lord of the Rings is in a category of its own, and cannot properly be compared to these other novels. It's a work of true literature, and if I had read all of them, I would most likely rank it first.

Julia Harry Potter is my small yet biggest obsession. I read the series for the first time when I was in fourth grade. J.K. Rowling is my hero :) 500,000,000,000,000,000 Stars.

Percy Jackson was a good book, but honestly, I wouldn't read it again by choice.....

Twilight: No. Just..... no.
Negative 500,000,000,000,000,000 stars.
(sorry, twilight fans..... no offense...)

Haven't read the Hunger Games yet but a lot of my friends have, and my one friend is kind of obsessed with it.

Didn't read the next 2......

Narnia was great(:

Nicole qwerty hunger games twilight percy jackson aretmis fowl honestly i love them all <3 <3

message 20: by Scott (new)

Scott Romario wrote: "Tell me which one is your favourite and why. I know some of these books are not related to each other so please don't keep mentioning that."

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott The Narnia Series would be first, including those which were never made into a movie, like the Sorceror's Daughter, was actually the first part of the story. Unfortuneately, the movies came out like the Star Wars, with prequels and sequels.
Second favorite is "Lord of the Rings". I would have liked it more if the 'good guys' were not so medieval: a few noblemen sending the masses off to die at their binding.
Harry Potter is third. Not very original, but well written with some clever twists.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I love how Harry potter was on almost everyone's list.

message 23: by Megan (last edited Dec 27, 2011 08:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan Harry Potter, Percy Jackson (has a special place in my heart which is why its one of the first. I know its not one of the best), His Dark Materials, Hunger Games (though I have a love/hate relationship with HDM and HG cause of the endings), Twilight, Narnia. I haven't read Alex Rider, AF, or Lord of the Rings.....

message 24: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia I don't know which one to pick as my favorite!! I love Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, Percy Jackson, and Narnia. I am reading the Hobbit right now which is like the prelude to The Lord of the Rings. If I had to pick a favorite though it would be... Harry Potter:)

Derek Hecker I wouls say I like Alex Rider, Harry Potter and Percy Jackson the best.

Derek Hecker Sorry to Lord of the rings fans, but it had wayyyyyyy to much detail. The books could have been 2 hundred pages and still made as much sense!

Julia Derek wrote: "I wouls say I like Alex Rider, Harry Potter and Percy Jackson the best."

Harry Potter's first..... right?
*staredown*

message 28: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia Derek wrote: "Sorry to Lord of the rings fans, but it had wayyyyyyy to much detail. The books could have been 2 hundred pages and still made as much sense!"

I think the Hobbit is kinda hard to understand because there are so many words and there is a lot of detail:/ It's still a good book though

message 29: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia But I have read every single Harry Potter book and I have watched every movie. Both my mom and dad have read them. I really like Harry Potter.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

harry potter, persy jackson,hunger games, artemis fowl and alex rider
all the series are awsome

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel all of these comments have been written by people under the age of 15.

Someone really said Harry Potter is a classic? Up there with Dracula, The Once and Future King, and The Odyssey? Give me a break. People claiming that The Hobbit is too wordy? That is because the books that are written now are not complicated. At all.

You'd die under the text of Lovecraft or Tolkien.
Tolkien created entire words, history, and languages.
Please respect older texts.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Jarred wrote: "I feel all of these comments have been written by people under the age of 15.

Someone really said Harry Potter is a classic? Up there with Dracula, The Once and Future King, and The Odyssey? Give..."

Personally, I've never read The Hobbit.. It's not my genre, so, I can't comment on that, but just because Harry Potter isn't older doesn't mean it's not a classic. Every story is new at some point.. It's the impression it makes on the readers that makes it a classic. Harry Potter is just one of those books that people will read for years and years to come.

Madelene harry potter all the way although percy jackson is also great. I love hunger games but the ending is way too disappointing. narnia is also great i haven't read the others. And twilight is just no!!!!!!!!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Heaven, Harry Potter is not a classic I'm sorry. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and even I know it's not a classic. It does not stand up to any of what we know now as classics. Maybe in awhile it will be known as a type of classic, that's a big maybe. Just because tons of people read it now, for it to be considered a classic it has to stand the test of time. It has yet to do that. I know that sucks to hear.

message 35: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia Jarred wrote: "Heaven, Harry Potter is not a classic I'm sorry. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and even I know it's not a classic. It does not stand up to any of what we know now as classics. Maybe in awhile it will..."

Most all of my family has read Harry Potter. I love all of the movies and especially part 2, Deathly Hallows. I will always be a big Harry Potter fan.

message 36: by HC (new) - rated it 5 stars

HC 1. HArry Potter and Percy Jackson!!!! these books are awesome!!!
2. Alex Rider and Artemis Fowl.
3. Narnia
4. the first Hunger GAmes book (the 2nd wasnt very good so i didnt read the third one)
5. narnia
6. Lord of the Rings (got really boring at times. I dont think that there was enough action)
7. Twilight (i read the summary and a coule of pages and really didnt like it its a cheesy vampire book)

I havent read His DArk Materials yet so idk. :)

message 37: by Cristina (new) - added it

Cristina Percy Jackson Hunger Games and Artemis Fowl

Sonia Jarmula It saddens me how many people are not mentioning Narnia and Lord of the Rings. They have defined literature and have inspired the writers of these series. I highly recommend them, they are honestly the best escapes I could ask for.

message 39: by Sonia (last edited Nov 17, 2011 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sonia Jarmula Jarred wrote: "I feel all of these comments have been written by people under the age of 15.

Someone really said Harry Potter is a classic? Up there with Dracula, The Once and Future King, and The Odyssey? Give..."

Agreed. I am fourteen and I am in love with these books, it saddens me that I only have one friend who I can discuss Narnia and LOTR with, not because they have seen the movies, but because they have read the books, which is rare in my age group. Even Narnia, which is aimed at younger readers, people find dry. What is this?!

Sonia Jarmula Fiona wrote: "I'm not even going to attempt to answer this question. You can't compare apples to oranges."

Agreed! My mom always says that.

message 41: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 17, 2011 08:06PM) (new)

narnia is extremely boring! *gags* X-P

Sonia Jarmula Asmaa wrote: "narnia is extremely boring! *gags* X-P"

WHAT. NO. Adventure, bravery, incredible creatures and things, what's not to love?

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Ughhhh! *gags again, then vomits*

message 44: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia I think Narnia is pretty cool. I have seen 3 of the movies.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

no, the books.

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) I read the 1st and 2nd. I liked them but I thought the 3rd might be confusing.

message 47: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia I know but the books are good too. They have a lot of action and I love magic and it involves that too.

message 48: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia I don't know over all I like Prince Caspian the best.

message 49: by HC (new) - rated it 5 stars

HC idk about narnia and LOTR. they definetely classics, but I found them boring because they didnt have enough action. In LOTR, the battles werent very descriptive and they only lasted for about a page. Narnia was more interesting, but it still was kind of tedious.

I think that one of the reasons why they were boring is because it didnt describe that characters feelings very well. I think that they were both told in third person and neither of them mentioned what the characters were feeling. i didnt fell a connection with them as much as the other books.

message 50: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia I haven't read the Lord of the Rings but I think Narnia is better. Just saying.

« previous 1 3