Reader's Ink discussion

Remarkable Creatures > Question 9. Narrators

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
Which narrator (Miss Philpot or Mary Anning) did you like more? WHY?

message 2: by Carol (last edited Nov 05, 2011 01:41PM) (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
Good question Ashley. One of my favorite quotes in the book, pg. 248 was Elizabeth's quote about Mary. She said, "I had no idea if I could make any difference to Mary's predicament. I only knew that when I read Joseph Pentland's letter, I was consumed with anger. Mary had been so generous for so long, so little gain--apart from Colonel Birch's sudden, madcap auction--while others too what she found and made their names from it as natural philosophers. William Buckland lectured on the creatures of Oxford, Charles Konig brought them into the British Museum to acclaim, Reverend Conybeare and even our dear Henry De La Beche addressed the Geological Society and published papers about them. Konig had had the privilege of naming the ichthyosaurus, and Conybeare the plesiosaurus. Neither would have anything to name without Mary. I would not stand by to watch suspicions grow about her skills when the men knew she outstripped them all in her abilities."

Isn't that an awesome quote. More passion in those words than in most of the book to me, and the relationship/friendship was redefined in Elizabeth's mind as to the GOOD Mary did, and the huge sacrifice she put forth in doing all this work, and having the "eye." Love it. Elizabeth wanted Mary to get the credit she deserved.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 168 comments I don't necessarily have a favorite, but I did like the dual narrator in this novel. It doesn't always work, but the stories were woven together in a way that kept my interest.

I did like to see Elizabeth's true thoughts regarding Mary, such as the quote above. I was glad that, even when their friendship was on the outs temporarily, she still tried to support and stand up for Mary.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 134 comments JULIE,
I LOVED THAT COMMENT ABOUT COL. BIRCH, TOO. I LOL!