The Sword and Laser discussion

Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die (Machine of Death, #1)
This topic is about Machine of Death
Any other Machine of Death rejects?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 828 comments So. Yeah.

I got my Machine of Death rejection today. I was nervous the last two days but luckily I had some small family thing today which made me forget all about it until I checked my mail on the way home and there it was.

However, I feel strangely not disappointed. Yes, it would have been great to have been selected, but given that they had nearly 2000 submissions and also taken into account that it was my first real submission to anything serious ever, I feel just fine.

I did something very cool for a very cool project. I had friends read the story to give feedback and they all liked it and I like to believe they would have told me if they hadn't liked it. Plus, first rejection letter! A serious artist has to start with some rejection letters, right? (Please tell me that this is the case.)

I also realized that the mass of tweets from other rejects somehow soften the blow. It's a nice feeling to be part of something and with twitter (and the internet in general) it's much easier to really *feel* like a part of a group and not just some lonely person alone at home who happened to be rejected. Seeing a lot of other (probably really smart) people be bummed about their rejection made me realize that it's not just me and that really makes it easier, I guess.

Anyway, I wonder if there are other Machine of Death rejects in this group. Are you there? This could be our self help thread or something. I am also contemplating what to do with my story. I could just post it on my blog, but are there any other ideas out there how to make it publicly available?

(Also, of course, I would love to hear if there's someone in this group whose story has been accepted.)

message 2: by Muchandquick (new)

Muchandquick | 2 comments Anne wrote: "So. Yeah.

I got my Machine of Death rejection today. I was nervous the last two days but luckily I had some small family thing today which made me forget all about it until I checked my mail on..."

First off, let me give a high-five to a fellow MOD2 reject.

/high-five!

Congratulations on your very first rejection letter! Machine of Death was a noble endeavor to embark your journey of submission-itude on, so bravo!

As for me this will be my... mphfteenth or so rejection. Good times, let me tell you. Print it out, stick it on your wall and let it be an bit of encouragement for your future projects!

I agree with your points. The community that sprang up from 2k authors all submitting to one project was something awesome to behold and did somewhat help cushion the blow of rejection. It was nice to see that we were not creating in a vacuum! I will admit, seeing the "I got accepted!" tweets immediately after receiving my rejection notice did not help my mood at that moment. :)

As for your story, I would give the MOD editors a few days to collect themselves and send out a new blog update, as they might have advice on what to do with the story.

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 828 comments Muchandquick wrote: "As for your story, I would give the MOD editors a few days to collect themselves and send out a new blog update, as they might have advice on what to do with the story."

I was thinking the same thing. A lot of people have been publishing their rejected story rightaway, but since I actually really liked mine I want to let this initial phase pass and then decide how and where to make it available. I've been waiting for the feedback for months, so I guess a couple more weeks don't really make a difference.

message 4: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (forjay) | 51 comments You might be able to self-publish it on Kindle or another ebook platform. You'd probably sell a few copies to the other S&L members.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2836 comments Yes I was going to say, post it where we can see it!

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Pilkington | 104 comments Yup, me too. Though I was pretty psyched about the rejection. No sad feelings here. :D

I feel like a first rejection letter is as important for a budding career as a first sale, and I really didn't expect to be picked after seeing the number of submissions.

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 828 comments There are some discussions going on on the Machine of Death blog regarding what future projects they could do with the rejected stories. My rejection letter was somewhat ambiguous (it would be interesting to compare it to what others got to see whether it was just a standard rejection or if it differs somehow - but it seems like such a personal thing) and I've decided to wait it for a bit to see if they come up with anything and if it's worth waiting for it.

A lot of people have been putting up their story on the internet right away, but I felt like there was some kind of initial rush which seemed too quick for me.

I thought about publishing it in the Kindle store. I was also wondering how many other MoD submissions there were from S&L listeners and whether it would be interesting to do a special S&L compilation or something. Then we could peer-guilt the whole book club into reading it. Hee-hee.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2836 comments Anne wrote: "I was also wondering how many other MoD submissions there were from S&L listeners and whether it would be interesting to do a special S&L compilation or something. Then we could peer-guilt the whole book club into reading it. Hee-hee. "

You know, that would be the second suggested volume of S&L compilations in a week, the other being the NaNoWriMo plot proposals....

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 828 comments Jenny wrote: "You know, that would be the second suggested volume of S&L compilations in a week, the other being the NaNoWriMo plot proposals...."

That goes to show you what a creative bunch we are. Yay us!

message 10: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1666 comments Mod
I have been very seriously considering a S&L anthology for a long time, and I'm glad there's some interest in it. Let me talk to Tom about it tonight in show prep, maybe this is something we can move along.

message 11: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 5 stars

And also, CONGRATS!!! I know it sucks to be rejected, but YOU DID IT! You wrote and story and submitted it, and that's awesome.

I know we all want to read it too ;)

message 12: by Nevan (new)

Nevan | 143 comments Congratulations on finishing something! That's something that a lot of people, Yours Truly included, never do. Was it Stephen King who kept a stack of reception slips on a nail jutting out of his bedroom wall? And didn't Patrick Rothfuss get turned-down constantly?

One of the co-writers of Peep Show wrote, recently, on Twitter that the number one thing to keep in mind while writing is, to paraphrase, "Don't get it right; get it written."

message 13: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 828 comments An S&L anthology would be really, really cool.

It was my first rejection letter, so my feelings tend to be on the "Cool! I was officially rejected!" side of the whole thing. What do I know? I'm just a very positive person, I guess.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments My wife got her rejection for MoD on the same day she got a contract for Chicks Dig Comics from Mad Norwegian Press. It was a mixed emotion kind of day. She wants to tell you she's Batman, btw.

message 15: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim wrote: "My wife got her rejection for MoD on the same day she got a contract for Chicks Dig Comics from Mad Norwegian Press. It was a mixed emotion kind of day. She wants to tell you she's Batman, btw."

No, I'm Batman.

message 16: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Batman crashed through my house last night while chasing the Riddler, causing several thousand dollars worth of structural damage. Consider yourself served.

message 17: by Nevan (new)

Nevan | 143 comments Sean wrote: "Batman crashed through my house last night while chasing the Riddler, causing several thousand dollars worth of structural damage."

Another reprehensible display from the 1%. #OccupyGotham