Best Books discussion

Books Of The Month > It's Kind of a Funny Story

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jade (new)

Jade Write what you think of the book as you read it or when you finish it!

I didn't even realize that this is the movie with Emma Roberts..

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (itsmegan) Book is absolutely brilliant in my opinion.

message 3: by Jade (new)

Jade Megan wrote: "Book is absolutely brilliant in my opinion."

Is it a comedy? I've never heard anything about it.

message 4: by R (new)

R (rikksandresslbpublishingcocom) | 1 comments Here is a good clean fiction book filled with Drama!
Excerpt: My Father's Colors by Marian L. Thomas, 2011 "USA Book Best Award" Finalist
For now, let’s take a step back in time to the first Mr. Jazzmyne. Of course, he had a last name but at this point who really cares to know it? What you will care to know is how she felt about him. You might read this section and feel as I did, at first— another woman scorned. That too has no color. But in reality, I have come to determine that hurt is hurt and pain is just what it is.
So just what did she have to say about her late husband? Read on.
Me: “I heard that you were married before, what was your first husband like?”
Jazzmyne: “When we first met, he walked into the thick gloom of the Skinny, (for those of you who don’t know, this was a hot jazz joint where I first heard her sing) I couldn’t see his face but I saw the smoothness of his perfectly polished black leather shoes and I tell you that when I looked into those shoes of his, I swear I saw our wedding day. I saw me standing next to him, grinning like a fool in love and I saw him standing tall with those shoes on. Grinning like a fool trying to act like he was in love. Man, what a reaction he caused in me!
“Then I heard him, his voice was like butter that slid off the tip of his tongue and glided down to that spot in my heart that made it beat even harder. It took a moment but when I finally got the nerves to look up and stare into his eyes, I felt like my feet had been lifted off the ground and I was floating on every syllable that uttered from that man’s mouth.
“I’m not going to lie; I was ready to say ‘I do.’ Forget the dress, forget the fancy ceremony. I wanted to ride off into a courthouse with this man.
“It took six months, two days and three hours for that initial reflection to become a reality and all I can think about now is….never judge a man by his perfectly polished pair of black leather shoes.”
Me: “Why do you say that?”
Jazzmyne: “Well, every time I stepped off the stage, he wasn’t there. I’d be standing on the stage, singing to him like a love-sick fool, and he, instead of hearing me would be listening to the giggles of someone else.”
Me:”How did that make you feel?”
Jazzmyne: “Every day that we were married I stared at those shining black shoes of his, only this time the reflection was smeared. How do you love a man who never read the book on what love is supposed to be like? How do you love a man that when you offered him just a little more than life, your heart, gave you nothing more than spit on your face?”
Me: “Do you think he ever really loved you?”
Jazzmyne: “Mr. Charles T. Williams never saw me and never cared one dime about me, until the day I opened my mouth and began to sing.”
Me: “May I ask what was that like?”
Jazzmyne: “The way it happened was like a whirlwind. He flew into the house one day, as I was in our tiny kitchen cleaning up the mess he always forgot he made. I was so angry at the situation I was in that something inside of me wanted to let it come out, so I like a fool, opened my mouth and began to sing. It had been a long time, too long. I didn’t even see him standing there, but when I turned around trying to avoid the whiff of some woman’s cheap perfume looming in the air, I saw him staring at me like he had seen me for the first time.”
Me: “So what happened?”
Jazzmyne: “Well, this next statement might make some of your female readers want to reach out and touch me across the face, real hard, but I admit that seeing him look at me like that, made me want to love him for the both of us. Downright crazy, I know, but when you have never had the love of a man that you love, let’s just say that a look like that can cover over so many empty promises.
“The words that came off the lips of that man for the first time had me wanting to sing to the universe if I could. Truth be told Mr. Pitts, I thought for a moment, perhaps it was more like a split of a split second if there is such a thing, that I had found the way to his heart. My voice would be like the juice that started the ignition that had never felt the key turn it before.
“Before I knew it, that man had me on the stage at the skinny. Do you know what he said to me that day?”
Me: “No ma’am.”
Jazzmyne: “He told me to sing like I was singing to a man who loved me. You know they say words never really hurt you, I say words can downright kill you. That was the night the microphone man introduced me as Jazzmyne.”
###

© 2010 All rights reserved. Book Excerpt Reprinted by Permission of Marian L. Thomas, author. Do not reproduce, copy or use without the author's written permission. Copyright infringement is a serious offense. This excerpt is used for promotional purposes only. Share a link to this page or the author's website if you really like this sample from "My Father's Colors".

My Father's Colors by Marian L. Thomas
ISBN-13: 978-0615409412

Purchase from Barnes & Noble.com
http://www.amazon.com/Fathers-Colors-Dra...

About the Author
Marian L. Thomas lives outside Atlanta, Georgia and is also the best-selling author of acclaimed novel, Color Me Jazzmyne. Avid readers have embraced Marian's ability to move the heart and stir the mind with her dramatic style of writing.The best-selling author has been a frequent guest on radio shows, nominated for many industry awards and interviewed by numerous newspapers and national magazines. Marian is working on her next novel, Strings of Color, which is scheduled for release in April 2012.

Connect with Marian L. Thomas online at:

Schedule a Book Club Visit by the Author,
Rikki Sandress
Publicist
rikkisandress@lbpublishingco.com

reply | edit | delete | flag*

My Father's Colors-The Drama-Filled Journey of Naya Mon Continues