The Humour Club discussion

General > Having to go to work

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melki (new)

Melki | 3510 comments Mod
When I was young and impressionable, as opposed to old and jaded, I read several books about young girls living in the 1800s, who were forced to work in textile mills. They worked unbelievably long hours, SIX days a week. After that, 5 eight hour days didn't seem so bad to me.
A UK Goodreads friend told me recently that he felt Americans had a stronger work ethic than Europeans which surprised me, as everyone I know seems kind of lazy. Then I looked at my husband's pay stub and noticed he has 86 hours of unused vacation time.

Do we secretly fear that if the boss notices he can do without us while we're on vacation for two weeks, that he will decide he can do without us permanently?

But if you want to send around a petition for that three day work week thing, I'll be happy to sign it.

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) Melki

That's Nothing when I were lad worked 20 hours a day in t mill for 5 shillings a week
(who know this sketch please continue)

message 3: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 309 comments Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) Well that's nought!!! When I were lad of 2 had to work 36hours a day. Pay for privilege. When got home dad would kill us with blunt knife. And we were grateful
AND YOU TELL KIDS TODAY AMD THEY....

message 5: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 309 comments they don't believe you!!

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) HA HA. Secret Policmans Ball. Love it!!!

message 7: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 309 comments Anyway, Melki, I don't think its Europeans who have a poor work ethic, thats not the case at all. Brits have a terrible work ethic though (generally, there's always people who do have a good work ethic), but it has reached the point in Britain that people don't want to do the dirty or menial jobs, thats why (despite people complaining about people "coming over and stealing our jobs") you tend to find eastern europeans taking those jobs in the UK, and working as hard as they can. I've even seen a documentary in which an asparagus farmer said he preferred european workers because they worked better than brits, and when they threw some unemployed brits his way to do the same work, it turned out he was absolutely right, the brits ended up costing him money, because he paid for the weight of the asparagus each person picked (meaning people could earn up to £100 a day), and the brits didn't hit the lowest target, nowhere near, and he had to pay them minimum wage as the law dictates, even though they'd not picked enough asparagus to cover that cost for him. There were other examples on the programme too, but thats the one I remember best.

Eastern europeans have a great work ethic, and the germans are pretty damned good for it too. I can't really comment on the other countries.

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) I was one said about American work ethic and stand by that for number reasons.

message 9: by Sam (last edited Nov 09, 2011 05:58AM) (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 154 comments Hazel wrote: "Anyway, Melki, I don't think its Europeans who have a poor work ethic, thats not the case at all. Brits have a terrible work ethic though (generally, there's always people who do have a good work e..."

I saw that programme too, I couldn't believe the attitude of some of those people! I've worked since I was 15 and know the value of a hard day's work yet those lot barely managed to drag their arses out of bed (you may have guessed that I got quite irrate watching that programme)!

But hell yeah I'd sign that petition.

BTW I've currently got 114 hours to take off (not including normal annual leave) due to all the extra work I've done so us Brits do have a good work ethic (at least some of us do anyway)!

message 10: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Bookworm Smith | 685 comments Funny, I always use up my vacation time? One year I even used two extra days...nobody seemed to notice?

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 154 comments Bookworm wrote: "Funny, I always use up my vacation time? One year I even used two extra days...nobody seemed to notice?"

Wow, I am so going to have to try that!!!

message 12: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Bookworm Smith | 685 comments Bookworm wrote: "Funny, I always use up my vacation time? One year I even used two extra days...nobody seemed to notice?"

You think it's a bad sign that nobody seems to notice when you are gone? Or I know how to 'work the system'?

message 13: by Donovan (new)

Donovan Sotam (DSotam) | 8 comments If you like work related humor, you should check my series Working for heat. Collections of short-stories, satire lots of nonsense.
Cheers,
Donovan Sotam

message 14: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Bookworm Smith | 685 comments You know what is good about going to work this time of the year? The annual holiday/christmas party...mix alchohol with co-workers always ends in a laugh.

Here is a rundown of the few xmas parties I went to.

Year one - two coworkers start making out on the dancefloor...only problem. The guy happened to be married (ouch!).

Year two - Our new boss is late, misses dinner, but hits the wine. An hour later she is feeling up my wife's pregnant belly and asking all us co-workers to 'be her friend...she's not just the boss'

Year three - Co-workers husband smuggles in some booze, the kind of bottle that need an opener. He decides to use his hand. This ends with a lot of blood and a dozen stitches.

Three years was enough for me...

message 15: by Melki (new)

I'm actually working outside the home this week. I'm buying back textbooks at the local college. This means that I offer a student 20 bucks for a book that cost him $145.00 just a few months ago. Can you feel the love? I'm just lucky no one has hauled off and punched me yet.

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 154 comments Bookworm wrote: "You know what is good about going to work this time of the year? The annual holiday/christmas party...mix alchohol with co-workers always ends in a laugh.

Here is a rundown of the few xmas parti..."

Now they sound like some entertaining Christmas parties!!!

message 17: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Bookworm Smith | 685 comments Melki wrote: "I'm actually working outside the home this week. I'm buying back textbooks at the local college. This means that I offer a student 20 bucks for a book that cost him $145.00 just a few months ago..."

Ah, I remember you (or your type)...luckily at this point in the year that 20 bucks was more than welcome (beer money ran out in October).

message 18: by Melki (new)

My week of textbook buyback is finally over. No one threatened me with bodily harm. The kids were actually very sweet. One kid huffed at me. Literally, he HUFFED. That was as nasty as they got. Despite being offered only $3.00 for their books, many of them wished me a happy holiday. Made me kind of want to go all Angelina Jolie and adopt a whole passel of them, but then I'd get stuck paying for their educations, so...nevermind.

message 19: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Bookworm Smith | 685 comments I took a dive into Youngdom this weekend too with a visit to the mall, on a Friday night. I haven't been to the mall in about a decade...I've kind of forgotten the demographic, ave age 15.
I managed to get called, 'dude'...not sure if that is good, as in I'm still looking young and cool...or if dude is a slang term for an old wannabe guy dragging around his screaming three year old?
The exact content may help. I was at NYFries ordering french fries and the young gentleman behind the counter said, "Dude, wanna try a free sample of butter chicken fries?"
I accepted the sample and enjoyed it to the fullest extent.

message 20: by Melki (new)

I used to work at B.Dalton Books with a delightful teenager named Jason. He was a great employee - punctual, polite and hard working. AND he called everyone "Duuuude". I once saw him tell an elderly woman, "I'm sorry. We don't have that book. Would you like me to order it for you, dude?"

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 154 comments Melki wrote: "I used to work at B.Dalton Books with a delightful teenager named Jason. He was a great employee - punctual, polite and hard working. AND he called everyone "Duuuude". I once saw him tell an eld..."

Oh that's fab, I hope I still get called dude when I'm in the elderly bracket!

message 22: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Bookworm Smith | 685 comments Speaking of elderly...I'm feeling a bit old as I don't have a cell phone/ smart phone whatever they are called.
So, what's the etiquette on smart phone use in the washrooms? Just saw a fellow employee head into the can watching videos on his smart/cell phone thing?
Strange or is that the new norm?

message 23: by Melki (new)

Can't help you out there. No cell phone for me, either. Hell, I'm practically Amish.

message 24: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Bookworm Smith | 685 comments Ya, I thought I heard what sounded like music coming from one of the stalls in the washroom the other day - I have a strange feeling it was the same dude?

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 154 comments Bookworm wrote: "Speaking of elderly...I'm feeling a bit old as I don't have a cell phone/ smart phone whatever they are called.
So, what's the etiquette on smart phone use in the washrooms? Just saw a fellow emplo..."

Nope that is just weird...

message 26: by Emily Iliani (new)

Emily Iliani (emilyiliani) | 5 comments im in for the petition; from Malaysia normally work 9-6 but occasionally there will be meetings till 1 am and weekends in the slum. Havent used up my vacation time and plan to do so before it expires.

On a different note: smartphones in the toilet while you are attending to your business is just WEIRD, dude!

message 27: by Jeb (new)

Jeb Harrison (jebh) | 36 comments I'm eager to share the results of a lab experiment I recently conducted on the topic: "Work as the Cause of Incurable Narcolepsy". Fascinating findings I'm sure you'll agree!

http://jsharrison22855.blogspot.com/2...

message 28: by Jeb (new)

Jeb Harrison (jebh) | 36 comments More on the somnambulist on the conference call: http://jsharrison22855.blogspot.com/2...

message 29: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 2420 comments Mod
Ooh, I like the petition.

Wait a minute. I only work 10 hours/week now.

Never mind.

(Goes back to looking through the library catalog for something interesting).

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Working for Heat (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Donovan Sotam (other topics)