Irish Readers discussion

Life of Pi
This topic is about Life of Pi
MONTHLY GROUP READS > November Read - Life of Pi

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anastasia (sun_and_sand) | 10 comments Welcome all. This is a discussion of Life of Pi. It runs for the whole of November, and I hope many will participate, read and discuss.

As a start of, I'm posting the blurb, to make sure even those just passing through now what's it about.

After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship, one solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild, blue Pacific. The only survivors from the wreak are a sixteen-year-old boy named Pi, a hyena, a zebra (with a broken leg), a female orang-utan...and a 450-pound Royal Bengal tiger.

The scene is set for one of the most extraordinary works of fiction in recent years.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I did try to read this book a few years ago, and only got halfway. So this is a good reason for me to try it again.

Iuliana Naughton | 26 comments I read this last year and really enjoyed it. It is definitely worth giving it another go Sam.

Anastasia (sun_and_sand) | 10 comments I think the best thing to do is try start it on a good day when you're not rushed. This book is quite heavy in information. But it is well worth trying to read. I'm half way through and love it.

Anastasia (sun_and_sand) | 10 comments So, its near the end of November, how's everyone doing? Any opinions so far?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi I'm new and am about to say something unfashionable. I know one is supposed to be in awe of lauded and awarded books like this but I'm afraid I hated it. I thought it obscure mystical nonsense with no meaning or message and very little entertainment value. It was a struggle to read and I'm afraid I think it was over-hyped, over-exposed and over-valued.
Sorry.
davidrory.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

@ David -I agree with you. I did try to read this book a few years ago and only got halfway, I'm going to try to read it again.

Anastasia (sun_and_sand) | 10 comments Its a very heavy read, with a lot of information. I personally didn't find it enlightening. I did learn a lot about Zoology though.

John Braine (trontsephore) Surprised to see how little people seemed to enjoy this. I really liked it.

David I know what you mean about 'Mystical Nonsense'. I'm an Atheist, and skeptic of all things mystical and woo - and sometimes this can interfere in my enjoyment of books, yes even fiction but this just worked for me somehow.

And yes hype can all but ruin a book too. I'm pretty sure hype can turn a good book to an average book, and turn an average book into a thoroughly mediocre book. I read this years ago btw.