Amazon Kindle & Fire discussion

Playing with Fire > What Will You Name Your Fire?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 293 comments Mod
Taking this from the other thread, what are you going to name your Kindle Fire?

I'm thinking about KFC -- Kindle Fire Crisis!

message 2: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments I may have used up all my good names on my three previous Kindles, Bartleby, Mister Atoz, and Alexander.

At least I have some time to think about this.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

stormhawk wrote: "I may have used up all my good names on my three previous Kindles, Bartleby, Mister Atoz, and Alexander.

At least I have some time to think about this."

Is there any specific Alexander your Kindle was named after? Alexander the Great? Alexander Dumas?

message 4: by Anne-Gigi (new)

Anne-Gigi  Chan (pinelakechic) hmmm, I didn't know that people name their Kindles... I need to think about this... I have 2 weeks to come up with a name! :)

message 5: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments Jennifer wrote: "Is there any specific Alexander your Kindle was named after? Alexander the Great? Alexander Dumas?"

The Great Library at Alexandria ;)

I'm leaning toward calling my Fire "McCaffrey."

Can anyone guess why?

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

It's gotta be after Anne McCaffrey, right?

message 7: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments Nope ... not dragon's fire ...

message 8: by Terri (new)

Terri | 14 comments Hot Tamale!

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa stormhawk wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Is there any specific Alexander your Kindle was named after? Alexander the Great? Alexander Dumas?"

The Great Library at Alexandria ;)

I'm leaning toward calling my Fire "McCaffr..."

Is that one of the firefighters in Backdraft??

message 10: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 4 comments If I get mine (which I am planning on) I think I will name it Cappa II, since my Kindle is Cappa and I love that name. Hehe!

message 11: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) You name them? I had no idea. Hmmmm, maybe Flash

message 12: by LeisureSuitLarry (new)

LeisureSuitLarry | 1 comments I think I'll name mine Granger, after the character in Fahrenheit 451 that leads a group of exiles who memorize books in order to preserve their contents.

message 13: by stormhawk (last edited Nov 14, 2011 08:19AM) (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments Kaliki wrote: "Is that one of the firefighters in Backdraft?? "

Sure is! Although now, of course, after reading LeisureSuitLarry's post I'm thinking about "Montag."

message 14: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Red Dog. (Why?... Why not?)

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Hugh (A.K.A. Hermit the Curmudgeon) wrote: "Red Dog. (Why?... Why not?)"

That sounds like a good name. Now you need a cover with a pitbull on it!

message 16: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Well, it was either Red dog or "Fluffy" ... but I'm not feeling very potterish.

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth Mathison | 15 comments I have to feel it in my hands first. I'm hoping that it will inspire me...

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Beth wrote: "I have to feel it in my hands first. I'm hoping that it will inspire me..."

lol absorbing the name via osmosis. I love it! :)

message 19: by Robin Lyn (new)

Robin Lyn (dreamergirl) I am leaning toward Acheron, my favorite character from the Dark Hunters series but I will have to see what it's personality is really like! (yes, I have the fire fever and I am not responsible for any silliness)

message 20: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (cjjjjj) | 4 comments Hugh (A.K.A. Hermit the Curmudgeon) wrote: "Red Dog. (Why?... Why not?)"

Red Dog after the Australian film?

Mine is called Finnegan because all my devices have to have names that start with the first letter of what they are my old Kindle was called Kenny and the Fire is Finnegan. My laptop's name is Laurence.

p.s. I am very relieved that other people name their Kindles.

message 21: by Vernessa (new)

Vernessa Fernandes (wetmokakisses) | 4 comments I'm naming mine Betty after Betty Boop, whom I love dearly.......now only if there was a kindle fire cover with her on it :)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 40 comments I named mine Oscar after Oscar Wilde. I ironically have not read Oscar Wilde yet and the name comes from a long running inside joke that comes from my boyfriend's habit of writing random things on shopping lists and packing checklists (Oscar Wilde cannot be found in most grocery stores btw.) Another item was dragon which would probably be more appropriate but since Dorian Gray is controversial and on the banned books list I feel that Oscar is also appropriate. I will be reading/reviewing Dorian Gray and watching/reviewing the movie in January for a challenge. :)

"The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame."
--Oscar Wilde

message 23: by Beth (new)

Beth Mathison | 15 comments Beth wrote: "I have to feel it in my hands first. I'm hoping that it will inspire me..."

I'm still uninspired. Or my Fire is just not talking to me yet. My daughter suggested I call it "Tristan"... I don't know where she came up with that one. Sometimes device names just come to me. I've had a printer named "Satan" because it did everything in it's power to slow up my day. I swear, it was just evil. We had a Roomba named Fred -- he was a very good worker. My Kindle Fire seems to have a slight male tendency... maybe Rocco or Bruno or Guido...

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 40 comments Hey Beth. Those are good names. We have a dog named Bruno at my house. I like Tristan as well. I like less common names. Some people like to make references to authors, characters or fire. People who opposed Oscar Wilde's works held bonfires so I think Oscar is perfect for mine. I hope you find the perfect name. I still feel bad because I never named my k1. I am posting from Oscar right now. :)

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

I like Rocco!

message 26: by stormhawk (last edited Dec 05, 2011 08:38AM) (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments tuttle88 wrote: "are my old Kindle was called Kenny "

So .... if your old Kindle gets dropped, will you shout, "Oh my god! You killed Kenny!" at the offender?

And another thing ... is your user name from M*A*S*H?

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa stormhawk wrote: "tuttle88 wrote: "are my old Kindle was called Kenny "

So .... if your old Kindle gets dropped, will you shout, "Oh my god! You killed Kenny!" at the offender? ..."

This made me laugh right out loud!

message 28: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Mine hasn't spoken to me yet either. I'm trying to enlist my husband's help in coming up with a name. He named our Garmin "G-spot".

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth Mathison | 15 comments Kaliki wrote: "Mine hasn't spoken to me yet either. I'm trying to enlist my husband's help in coming up with a name. He named our Garmin "G-spot"."

G-spot. Gotta love those hubbies!

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Beth wrote: "Kaliki wrote: "Mine hasn't spoken to me yet either. I'm trying to enlist my husband's help in coming up with a name. He named our Garmin "G-spot"."

G-spot. Gotta love those hubbies!"

Yeah, he's pretty proud of himself for that one. :)

message 31: by Robin Lyn (new)

Robin Lyn (dreamergirl) Finally settled on a name. While I adore Acheron as one of my favorite book characters, his name just didn't suit the kindle fire. Yesterday a name came to me and it is Sunneefire. It's a great fit and I changed the name in my digital content over on Amazon so that it displays on the screen.

Gotta say I got a kick out of G-spot for the Varmint!

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 40 comments That is cute. I didn't change the name to Oscar on my account. Mine just says "Jennifer's Kindle Fire." I guess I am boring and unoriginal.

message 33: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (cjjjjj) | 4 comments stormhawk wrote: "tuttle88 wrote: "are my old Kindle was called Kenny "

So .... if your old Kindle gets dropped, will you shout, "Oh my god! You killed Kenny!" at the offender?

And another thing ... is your user ..."

I didn't even think of that! Now its too late!

And yes my username is from MASH I was majorly obsessed with that show at age 15 when I was starting out on the Internet and now I'm kind of stuck with it because that's what everyone knows me as.

message 34: by Dahlia (new)

Dahlia (bookchick313) I named my Kindle Keyboard "Hermione" and my Kindle Fire "Ludwig" after Ludwig Van Beethoven.

message 35: by Bob (new)

Bob | 1 comments Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) wrote: "That is cute. I didn't change the name to Oscar on my account. Mine just says "Jennifer's Kindle Fire." I guess I am boring and unoriginal."

I named it Bob's Kindle Fire. Not very original.

message 36: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 55 comments Well I don't know if I will name mine. If I do decide to name it I would most likely call it Hedwig. I love HP and Hedwig!

message 37: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I named mine "Dandelion Fire" after a character in a short story that I never finished and, like everything else, since I am unpublished ... and unsubmitted (nothing worth showing anyone.)

message 38: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 13 comments After seeing a similar thread in another GR's group earlier today and then thinking about it ever since, a name has finally chosen itself for my Fire. It popped into my head immediately after I asked my hubby what he thought I should name it. Ready?

Imaginarium.

I'm not really sure where it came from. I'm sure I've heard the word before, but not sure why or from where.

I also name other favorite items.
Laptop = Purple Monster (since it's purple)
iPod = Nayana's SOUL (Nayana is my bellydance performing name and SOUL is part of my logo, tagline)
Oscar = my dance/fitness pole
Suckem Sam = our Dyson vacuum

message 39: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn Lucas (pursuedbyabear) I decided to name mine Elmo from St. Elmo's Fire =D

message 40: by Stacey Jo (last edited Jan 01, 2012 09:15AM) (new)

Stacey Jo (st1ac2ey3) I asked my husband what I should name my Fire when I got it for Christmas. He said what about "Shirks All Responsibilities" My response to that was "How about I name it 'No Need For Husband'" I still haven't come up with a good name for it other than "My Preciousssss", because that's what I call it :o)

I think that's what I'm going with though...
My Precioussss

message 41: by Stephenie (new)

Stephenie  (StephenieInKY) I think I'm naming mine Henry because you can always count on a Henry.

message 42: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I used to have a Basset Hound Named Henry... Henri St. Aurens (full name).

message 43: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 55 comments After I posted about my possible name I thought of another name for it either Phoenix or Fawkes. Just not sure yet.

message 44: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 13 comments Monica - Love them both and a nice subtle nod to an endearing HP character. :o)

message 45: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 55 comments I know Krista. I love HP so I have to pay tribute some how. I could go with Fawkes the Phoenix. I actually love both those names and I think they fit better then Hedwig (love that Owl & cried in book 7). And I have a read cover for my Fire which even makes me think of Fawkes the Phoenix. :)

message 46: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 13 comments Oooh! I really like Fawkes the Phoenix. Then you don't have to choose between the two and you can use "FTP" as your Kindle's nickname. :o)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 40 comments Fawkes is adorable for a Fire name. :)

message 48: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 55 comments I think Fawkes the Phoenix is going to stay. Now everyone at work with know I am crazy!! ;) I love the FTP nickname too.

message 49: by Katy (new)

Katy (katybean27) | 2 comments Mine doesn't have a name. How do you name it?

message 50: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (cjjjjj) | 4 comments You just name it. Like you would name a car or whatever inanimate object you want to name. If you want to name it on Amazon you go into manage your device and you can rename it.

« previous 1