Ask Lisa See! discussion

Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls, #1)
This topic is about Shanghai Girls
How deep into history did you have to research?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patti (moncherieisme) | 2 comments I loved this book and it opened the world of Lisa See to me. I haven't had the chance to read any other books of hers...yet. I am hoping to win Snowflower and trying to save up for Snowflower. My dream? ALL of Lisa's books. After I was done, I felt as if I was leaving friends.

Curious as to how much studying Lisa had to do with her books.

message 2: by Sharon/ LFrog1386 (last edited Nov 03, 2011 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 32 comments Lisa does extensive research inside China, spending months in country gaining the depth of knowledge needed to write her books. Other books, like Shanghai Girls, can also be researched right at home, in L.A. and other areas, interviewing her own relatives and other well-known people that lived through these times.

I can tell you that you will absolutely fall in love with Lisa's other books. Maybe you should check your local library to see about finding Snow Flower and also the sequel to Shanghai Girls, Dreams of Joy. If you want to find out what happens to Joy and her two mothers, you really want to read this sequel!

message 3: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa See | 81 comments Mod
Patti wrote: "I loved this book and it opened the world of Lisa See to me. I haven't had the chance to read any other books of hers...yet. I am hoping to win Snowflower and trying to save up for Snowflower. My d..."

I do a ton of research, and I do it in all kinds of ways.

I hope you do read the other books. What about a library?

Patti (moncherieisme) | 2 comments I live in a tiny town of 300, with a very small library. Just was hoping I would win, but if not, then there is Amazon for me:-) I will look into all of her books now that I have read Shanghai Girls! Thank you for the opportunity, and for the quick response!