Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Bound by Blood (The Garner Witch #1)
This topic is about Bound by Blood
Page Numbering Requests > My ebook isbn is different as well as page count

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 35 comments My ISBN:9780987749314 and the page count is 664 pages versus 309 listed on goodreads.

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim | 604 comments What version are you reading? 664 seems very high considering all the other e-editions are around 300 pages and the paperback is only 360.

message 3: by Shay (new)

Shay | 179 comments Per Smashwords, this book has a word count of 95,654. So, that makes it more in the 300-ish page range. In other words, it would have to have 144 words per page at 664 pages which is far below a standard amount of words per page.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 35 comments I read it from my NookColor that is the page count given.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2443 comments About the ISBN issue: One e-book listing didn't have an ISBN ( publisher: smashwords) and the other one had BN ID number listed instead. I added the correct ISBN # to the one that was missing (based on the edition listed at Smashwords) and deleted the ISBN 10 for the one that had the BN ID (so now it will actually link to the book on Barnes & Noble).

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 35 comments Thank you! Sorry about the confusion.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2443 comments No worries.

I do know that ePub versions can have a larger page count than the paper versions (or at least that's what I've read). That may account for some of the discrepancy. Font size may also contribute. (Keep in mind I don't have a Nook, so I'm not sure how the page numbering on one works)

message 8: by Shay (new)

Shay | 179 comments Amanda wrote: "No worries.

I do know that ePub versions can have a larger page count than the paper versions (or at least that's what I've read). That may account for some of the discrepancy. Font size may a..."

The page count stays the same regardless of the font size. It could just be an oddly formatted edition or one that has short pages.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 35 comments I just wanted to let you know about the edition so it would be there for your records. I have the same issue for another book as well but I'm not sure of the isbn on it. I'm currently reading Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning but I tried looking up the right edition for it and ended up using the paperback version instead of the ebook.

message 10: by willaful (new)

willaful Shay wrote: "The page count stays the same regardless of the font size. It could just be an oddly formatted edition or one that has short pages. "

Or possibly a lot of extra crap at the end. Fairly common with ebooks.

message 11: by Stefani (new) - added it

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 37 comments One thing you also need to be aware of for ebooks is the size font that you are using. On some models of ebook reader if you have a larger font then it gives you more pages. Other models will not change the page number but make you turn the page more than once for the same text. Ebook page numbers are notoriously inaccurate when compared to actual paper page numbers. So the Nook may say 664 pages, the Kindle may say 400, and the paperback may have 300. That is the hassle with ebooks since there is no set standard on how to number the pages.

message 12: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 122 comments Stefani, it's not the model buy the ebook format. Kindle books change the number of pages with the font size, epub books don't do it, aside of the ereader.

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23191 comments That is why the standard for ebook page numbers is PDF or ePub.

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments My thought with ebooks is (from a librarian standpoint) I will check the librarian change log to see if anyone has changed the page number. If they have I leave it alone and track my progess by percent. If it hasn't been changed I will use the page numbers on my ePub edition (which is what they are mostly released in besides Kindle, which have their own edition).

Not much of an issue for me since GR kindly made % progress automatic for ebooks.

message 15: by Paolo (new)

Paolo (plog) | 12 comments The ePub standard is unfortunately not clear about page numbering, so what is commonly used instead is a feature of Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) that calculates a page each 1024 bytes in the compressed file size (an ePub container is essentially a zip file). Thus, if for instance you unpack your ePub and re-zip it with a different compression level you might get a different page count. Pretty nasty, uh? Clearly, you're not supposed to mess around with a DRM'ed (i.e. ADE) ePub.

However, since after all ADE is not ePub, IMHO we should use "standard" ADE page numbers on GR only for ePubs protected with Adobe DRMs, while for other (DRM-free or watermarked) ePubs it doesn't make much sense.

For more info you can read this very nice article.

message 16: by Stefani (new) - added it

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 37 comments Marisa wrote: "Stefani, it's not the model buy the ebook format. Kindle books change the number of pages with the font size, epub books don't do it, aside of the ereader."

You're right, I must have lost my mind on that one lol. I was referring to ebook format and somehow came out with ereader model. Thank you for correcting my mistake!