Reading the Chunksters discussion

General Archive > Read-a-Thon - Goals for the Read-a-Thon

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Please post your goals (page number, books, time spent reading, etc.) here.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie My goals:

1] The Scarecrow of Oz
2] 5 essays
"Why We Crave Horror Movies"
"Home for the Holidays: A Survivors Frightening
Account"
"Lost in the Kitchen"
hmmm...and 2 other to be named later
3] a couple of teacher books i need to finish
4] Mists of Avalon before Sunday, as I need to read a new section before posting...

that is all...for now...

I'll read as much as I can throughout the day...but I have a 2 year old :) and I like to hang out with her at times...definitely a work day of reading (say 8-10 hrs.)

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne | 137 comments I hope to get in about 8 hours of reading, but I'm not sure which books I'll read. I always have several going at once, and I'll choose based on my mood that day.

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) 8-12 hours is my goal

Reading list:
Rebecca
Jar City
Villette
The Mists of Avalon
The Zookeeper's Wife audio book
I'd like to finish Rebecca and The Zookeeper's Wife and make significant progress on Villette and The Mists of Avalon. We'll see ...

I love this idea. Hope we do it again soon.

message 5: by Judy (last edited Nov 05, 2011 01:22PM) (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) I hope to read for 12-14 hours. My list will include (but won't be limited to) the following:

1) Hamlet
2) Carl Sandburg: Selected Poems
3) an audiobook, In Cold Blood: A True Account of a Multiple Murder and Its Consequences
4) the next section of East of Eden
5) one of my monthly group read books, The Skystone
6) a chapter or two from Thy Will Be Done: The Conquest of the Amazon : Nelson Rockefeller and Evangelism in the Age of Oil

This will be fun and interesting to see what everyone else is reading.

message 6: by Loretta (last edited Nov 03, 2011 08:48AM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) My goal is similarly about 12 hours

I'd like to read/finish:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Retreat (Season 8, Vol. 6) by Jane Espenson Buffy the Vampire Slayer Twilight (Season 8, Vol. 7) by Brad Meltzer Buffy the Vampire Slayer Last Gleaming (Season 8, Vol. 8) by Joss Whedon The Walking Dead, Book Seven by Robert Kirkman

I'll be listening to:

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (I'm a couple weeks behind, not too bad, should be about 3 hours of listening. I might work out and/or clean while I do that.)

Also, work got really intense, and I've completely ignored East of Eden, so I'm going to try to catch up.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Oh, and I'll be reading poems every now and then throughout the day.

Selected Poems by Gwendolyn Brooks

Pretty ambitious. Hope it works out.

message 7: by Juliette (new)

Juliette I'm ashamed of the audio book that I have, but I got it from the library... (Tucker Max is the author)

I've started reading to my child from non-picture books, so I'd like to continue that with some Kipling (see, child time with the reading, I so sneaky).

I'll catch up on East of Eden.

If I'm not done with it I want to finish Shiver

And I want to start Soul Catcher which I read a long time ago (probably 20-25 years ago) and I remembered it being really good.

Beyond that I have a bunch of things on my kindle I'd like to get to.

My plan on how many hours? My goal is small, I'm going with three hours. Once I make it to three, I'll double it, so on and so forth. Baby steps.

PS Loretta, I LOVE Gwendolyn Brooks. I met her once in grade school when she came to speak at our school

message 8: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Loretta, I love Buffy!! Are the books good? Looks like something I would enjoy.

Juliette, sneaky, but very smart. I love reading to my grandkids. Can't wait until they are old enough for non-picture books.

message 9: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) @ Martha: Actually, sadly, the books are not that great, but I'm an addict, and couldn't stop myself from reading them. Now that "Season 8" is done, "Season 9" has started, and I've been hearing slightly better things about that arc, so we'll see how that goes.

@ Juliette: Isn't Gwendolyn Brooks wonderful? :)

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (peppersgirl) My goals are to get some projects done around my house before my Thanksgiving guests arrive, while listening to audio books of course.
To finish the Sookie Stackhouse Companion.
Also to get caught up on East of Eden. I'm running a little behind.

Oh I hope I can still do this! It's starting to look like I might have to work:(

message 11: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristina3880) My goal is 12 hours of reading

I am going to read

The Night Circus book
Middlemarch kindle
Club Dead audio
Dead to the World audio
The Magician King if I am not done with this book by friday.

message 12: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I'm loving reading everyone's goals. And adding to my TBR list, mentally at least. We're at the campground. It's cold, but the furnace works. :-) have my books stacked up by my chair ready for saturday morning.

message 13: by Kristen (new)

Kristen So excited to tackle some serious reading on Saturday. Here's what I have going:
Finish Anton Chekhov's Short Stories and Long Day's Journey Into Night; read through Chapter 1 of Fault Lines: How Hidden Fractures Still Threaten the World Economy; and make a dent in Ulysses and The New Bloomsday Book: A Guide Through Ulysses.

The kids are going to join too for a little bit with The Storm - Dogs of the Drowned City and Spiders ---> :)

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (peppersgirl) It looks like I won't be able to participate after all. I'm going to have to work:( I hope everyone has a great time and that we do this again soon!

message 15: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) So sorry, Carol. I, too, hope we do this again. It's a great idea.

message 16: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) Too bad, Carol! :(

Hi Kristen, I didn't know you were a part of this group, too. Welcome! Glad you are joining in. :)

message 17: by Kathy (last edited Nov 04, 2011 06:10PM) (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I'm hoping to get to 10 hrs reading. I'm working for a little while in the morning and my stamina hasn't been so great lately due to my health issues, but this is what I will be working on tomorrow:

The Three Musketeers - didn't keep up with the group read. :(
Third From The Sun by Richard Matheson - short stories
Legion by William Peter Blatty (already started)
The Dead of Night by James Marsden
A House Divided by Pearl S. Buck - audio

I guess thats where I'll start, if by some miracle I accomplish all this, I'll add to my goal. :)

message 18: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 885 comments I'm not able to set too ambitious a goal, what with Saturday chores and a birthday party for my sons-in-law (twins) tomorrow evening. But what reading time I can devote to the Read-a-thon will include some more sections of Tennyson's Idylls, Lucretius de rerum natura (On the Nature of the Universe), Proust Swann's Way, and when my eyes get tired turning to audiobooks with Dorothy Sayers's Strong Poison and Dickens Our Mutual Friend. Plus probably dipping into and out of a few other things.

message 19: by Diana S (last edited Nov 04, 2011 10:55PM) (new)

Diana S My Goal:

11.5.11 (6 Hours of Reading)

Books:
To Finish up:
Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer Twilight Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier Remarkable Creatures
To get half-way:
Morrigan's Cross (Circle trilogy #1) by Nora Roberts Morrigan's Cross

message 20: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (janastasiow) About 12 hours of reading:

Kill Them All, The Bride Collector, and I don't know after that. I may catch up on my biology text Biology, read The Best of Clean Eating: Over 200 Mouthwatering Recipes to Keep You Lean and Healthy, or start An American Tragedy.

message 21: by Izzy (new)

Izzy Holmes | 46 comments I'm going to try and read a crime novel from start to finish that a friend lent me and has been sitting on my to read shelf for ages.

Fallen (Will Trent, #3) by Karin Slaughter

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) I'll be reading The Cat's Table. Just started it so I might just read that one book. I have some short stories from Memory Wall as back-up.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) I just noticed that I have not received notifications or emails for this thread for at least 24 to 48 hours. Anyone else having this problem?

message 24: by Mikki (new)

Mikki I will be starting with [Book: Embers] but have no idea where I'll be going from there...

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Everyone getting excited!!!! I'm going to eat some breakfast before we get started. Happy reading everyone!!!

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Happy Reading! :)

message 27: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Just saw this! I'm going to shoot for 8-10 hours. I'd like to say 12, but we're supposed to hang out with a friend tonight. Not sure what books yet.

message 28: by Andrea (new)

Andrea My goal is 12 hours as well. I have a few books that I'm going to read and the rest I'm going to just go on what I feel like :)