Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

WHAT TO READ IN HEAVEN?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) Being a Book-Aholic has given me a strang worry. If/when I die and go to heaven will I still be able to read? What books will be in heaven? Will everything be on an approved for heavenly values reading list? Will the only author be moses? Can I sit in a local cloudbucks to read and listen to harmonic music? Will there be restricted reading material? Maybe there will be no reading at all?
Food for thought and discussion..
ANYONE GAME?
WES
PLEASE RESPOND IN THE BOOK-AHOLICS GROUP OR HERE

message 2: by Jason (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Jason (gireesh42) This is an interesting theological question. First of all, if we're really talking about heaven, then we must also be assuming there is a hell, right? Another question therefore becomes, if all reading material is NOT available in heaven, does the leftover stuff end up on the shelves of hell? OR, if heaven allows everything, does hell allow nothing? OR, if heaven allows nothing, is it all in hell? OR, is there no reading, period, in the afterlife?

And which heaven/hell are we working with here? Christian? Then it depends upon what sort of Christian you are. There are plenty of Christians who take the bible as the only true Word, but also read for pleasure. Perhaps we need a way to figure out which authors are influenced by Satan and which are innocent.

Personally, I think in hell I would be forced to listen to a festering street urchin read in an indecipherable cockney accent the complete works of Dickens over and over. In heaven...that's much more difficult. I'm not a Christian myself, but I'd have to say it's all or nothing up there--either you get scripture 24/7 or everything is available, including the works that everyone produced AFTER they died. John Kennedy Toole, Shakespeare, Douglas Adams, Keats, Spenser, Austen, Woolf--they'd have a sweet ass writer's club and would produce a new masterpiece every week.

message 3: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) I being a Christian believe in heaven but have trouble deciphering the content of heaven which most do. I am unsure of the free will aspect when it deals with heaven I am unsure if free will applies there at all. God gave us free will on earth but we would ruin heaven if given free will upon it. I hope that we are allowed to read in heaven.

The focus of imagination and the ability to use it. I do not wish to focus on the aspect of books in hell, unless they are flame retardant. All or nothing in heaven would cause major conflict in my opinion, unless you cannot influence others in heaven, but are left unto yourself and your own dreams and aspirations are focused upon.

Will we need books at all or will we be filled with all of knowledge upon entering the pearly gates. If we are filled with all of knowledge then boredom would be overwhelming.

message 4: by Jason (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Jason (gireesh42) Well, Lucifer was thrown out of heaven, along with his cohorts, when he started jockeying for the thrown, right? This would suggest that one can influence others in heaven, and that we are not filled with all knowledge upon entrance, otherwise Lucifer wouldn't have had any followers, and God wouldn't have had to worry about anyone listening to him, because they would already have known it was a bad idea. So we're still fallible in heaven. Or, at least the angels are. Lucifer was an angel, right? I'm not sure on how all that works...angels vs. regular heaven residents...

Does this mean that Harry Potter would not be allowed since it "promotes" witchcraft? Maybe only non-fiction would be available.

And I don't see how one can have a discussion about heaven without automatically including hell. It's like driving through a city and saying I'm only going to pay attention to the green lights.

Here's another question: If a book makes it to heaven, does that mean the author also went to heaven? Or can a damned writer produce a heaven-worthy book? Or visa versa, I guess...

message 5: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) Do you think the Harry Potter pop culture book that it is will be on the shelves of heaven... lol that is good stuff but that does go back to my original question you just asked it in a more precise mannor.

I do not include hell because I do not dwell on the things which I consider darkness, I personally ignore the things that do not interest me. If I go into a bookstore I do not dwell in the romance section because it does not interest me, I go elsewhere.

You are really into this theology discussion? lol

I like your thoughts... but you not being a Christian. What are you, and in your "heaven" what is allowed and what is not?

message 6: by Jason (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Jason (gireesh42) I'm not sure what I "am," though religion has always fascinated me--it's a long long story.

Strictly speaking, in my own heaven, everything would be allowed, since I believe language is god's creation and to limit even the negative aspects of it would be an act of uncalculable destruction. Even the bad/evil stuff plays a part in the discourse, and if heaven were to completely wipe out "unworthy" works, what would happen to language, writing and communication up above?

I have to believe that my favorite writers responsible for more or less innocent books would be available in heaven. But could they exist without the books that may have influenced them? For instance, if I am not mistaken the Chronicles of Narnia are often read within a Christian narrative, right? Let's assume they are therefore allowed in heaven. But they incorporate, borrow and subvert all sorts of pagan ideas. If we were to get rid of all the literature that those pagan ideas came from, would Lewis' work become incomprehensible? I think so.

message 7: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) ETERNITY IS A LONG TIME I HOPE THAT THEIR IS SOME FORM OF MEDIA IN HEAVEN.
HSN- HEAVEN SHOPPING NETWORK
HBO- HEAVENS BIBLE OBSERVER
ESPN- EVANGALICAL SPIRITUAL PRACTICE NETWORK
B&N- BIBLE & NOBLE

message 8: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) shouldn't heaven be whatever we want it to be? our heaven ...what we would like and all?

message 9: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) In theory I agree but God created the heavens and the earth on the first day long before he created man, so where do we get the idea that heaven has anything to do with us. We may have no control over God's home heaven.
The ideals of heaven are equal to a black hole... we don't know what is inside.
Gods secret: so will there be books in heaven?

message 10: by ScottK (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

ScottK Yeah I kinda agree with Hannah,I think there will be way too many other things to absorb your time than reading books, plus can a spirit even hold a book ? I am not sure. Anyway my understanding is that things will be way different up there and we may not even care about the fact that there might not be books.
- x theology major in college

message 11: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) HEAVENLY THOUGHTS: SO WHERE WILL KNOWLEDGE COME FROM IF WE ARE SUPPOSE TO BUILD A NEW JERUSALEM SOME FLOOR PLANS WILL HAVE TO BE DRAWN, SCHEMATICS PLANNED, MATERIAL MINED AND LABORORS TO BUILD. ALL WITH NO BOOKS, BECAUSE WE ARE SPIRITS AND CAN'T TURN A PAGE?

message 12: by ScottK (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

ScottK apparently when we die all questions are answered so I would think that we would then know how to do all of these things with out knowing before hand ....and you can really take all I am telling you with a grain of salt I may have been a theology major but all it really showed me was how judgemental and hate filled people can really be so you might not want to take what I say too seriously.

message 13: by Wes (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) Wow sounds like taking theology kind of hurt things a little Scottk. Heaven to me is an unaswered question and no one really knows, unless they are dead, what really happens. I think nature is extremely beautiful when you leave everything behind and can observe God's creation up close. This is my Heaven. Streets paved with gold and jewels everywhere is garbage. This is an ideal to draw people with greed and envy into the belief in God which I do not agree. I think heaven is going to be alot like earth but on a greater scale weeding out the evil that corrupts man. A new eden without original sin. "with books" lol