Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

World-Mart
This topic is about World-Mart
Science Fiction > What Does YOUR Future Look Like?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh (new) - added it

Leigh Lane (leighmlane) | 152 comments Back when I was a child, not that long ago, small businesses were all over the place. There were grocery markets, department stores, and restaurant chains, but “Mom and Pop” were still everywhere.

My first job was at a family owned, full-line pet store. My boss taught me the importance of treating the customer right, taking pride in my work, always doing right by the animals, and being educated about what I was selling. The bottom line was important, but not as important as customer loyalty and product quality. Fast-forward twenty years and one would find me working as a manager at a corporate pet store chain. I found the differences between the establishments to be profound--and that bigger does not always mean better.

After an especially trying tangle against the corporate red tape on one side of me and low paid young adults slacking under my watch on the other, I remember deciding I was going to write a book that took place in a world where everyone was reduced to a nametag, khakis, and a polo shirt. In this world, no one took pride in what they did, so everything was of mediocre quality at best. The multiple levels of managers and associates made it impossible to accomplish anything efficiently. Everyone did all of their shopping at the Food-Mart, because that was the only place left for people to go. Churches were owned by Faith-Corp. People got all of their news from Info-Corp.

And then the terrifying thought struck me that we were already well on our way there....

Check out World-Mart.

message 2: by Maranda (new)

Maranda Russell Wow, creepy thought. Definitely can see why you think the world might be headed that way though!

message 3: by Leigh (new) - added it

Leigh Lane (leighmlane) | 152 comments Maranda wrote: "Wow, creepy thought. Definitely can see why you think the world might be headed that way though!"

I hope I'm wrong! ;-)

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Souza | 10 comments Leigh, I pretty much see it the way you do. I am also writing a science fiction novel (Robyn's Egg - planned release spring 2012) set in the not to distant future where corporations pretty much control everything including religion.

George Orwell saw a future where the government drifted into totalitarianism and seized control. I think where he got it wrong is it won't be the government running the show, it will be the corporations and wealthy, those responsible for getting those in government elected. The government will just be doing their bidding.

I don't like where we're headed. And I worry it might already be too late for non-violent solutions. Imagine what would happen if someone tried to introduce a bill limiting how wealthy a corporation or individual could become, or removing lobbyists from government, or limiting campaign contributions. I guarantee it would never make it to a vote.

Limiting campaign contributions is a bad example as corporations have already found a way around it. They just provide cushy figurehead jobs to those who served them well, with multimillion dollar salaries and massive bonuses after leaving Capital Hill.

As bad as things are, I foresee a day when these are looked upon as better days, and that's sad.

message 5: by Leigh (new) - added it

Leigh Lane (leighmlane) | 152 comments Mark, good luck with your upcoming release.

We have definitely returned to an age in which the dystopia is an appropriate genre for serious writers to explore. As writers, we can effect change through our ideas--but sometimes that means writing works that are uncomfortably dark and gritty.

I think people are ready to start thinking again, to read not only for escape, but to contemplate our world and the direction we're heading. I hope so, anyway....

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Souza | 10 comments Leigh said: I think people are ready to start thinking again, to read not only for escape, but to contemplate our world and the direction we're heading. I hope so, anyway....

I totally agree and hope you are right. I wish you success with your story as well. Post back when it's ready, it sounds like something I want to read. Best of luck.

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Thorson (jennthorson) | 65 comments Mine is a heavily-marketed universe where print has been largely purged in favor of infopill. Print Liberation takes place at the local branch of the LibLounge, where you get fractions of a monetary currency for each book you bring in for fragmentation, you get to digest all the latest infopills, and sit around with your buds and discuss what you've digested.

All over pricey alien beverages, of course. :)

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 0 comments Leigh wrote: "Mark, good luck with your upcoming release.

We have definitely returned to an age in which the dystopia is an appropriate genre for serious writers to explore. As writers, we can effect change th..."

Leigh, your cover is so cool!

message 9: by Leigh (last edited Nov 04, 2011 02:16PM) (new) - added it

Leigh Lane (leighmlane) | 152 comments Thanks, Mary!

@Mark: it's available now in print and ePub.

message 10: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat (katzombie) Sounds like a great book Leigh, have wishlisted as I'm banned from buying more books until 2012 (god help my bank account come Jan 1st mwhahahah!)

And the cover IS really cool!

message 11: by Leigh (new) - added it

Leigh Lane (leighmlane) | 152 comments Thanks, Kat!

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 0 comments Leigh, I hope you are right about people wanting thought-provoking reading. Wish you guys well with your publishing endeavors. My husband has a book chronicling the future history of belief and a Space Empire founded by exiles persecuted off the Earth.

Space Empire Saga by Michael Findley

Jeffery Anderson | 19 comments Leigh wrote: "Back when I was a child, not that long ago, small businesses were all over the place. There were grocery markets, department stores, and restaurant chains, but “Mom and Pop” were still everywhere...."

Hi Leigh,
It looks like an excellent book. It sounds like it shares some similarities with my novel, Ephemera.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

In Ephemera, it is the government up to no good, but it is run by special interest groups and megalomaniac politicians who care nothing for the people.

The part in your description about the questionable terrorist attack, and what sounds like an apocalyptic conspiracy, rang true with my plot as well.

All the best to you with it. Would love to share news about promotional opportunities for dystopian books. Not a lot of blogs out there that exclusively cover that genre. It's usually lumped in with sci-fi.

message 14: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat (katzombie) So I caved. I had a spree and picked up Leigh's book.

Hopefully I'll get to it before the end of this year and I'll let you know when I review it on my blog.

Jeffrey - true there are not a lot of adult dystopia blogs (99% are YA-dystopia which I try and avoid like the plague). But there are some out there!

message 15: by Leigh (new) - added it

Leigh Lane (leighmlane) | 152 comments Let's network, Jeffery.

I look forward to your review, Kat!

Jeffery Anderson | 19 comments Kat wrote: "So I caved. I had a spree and picked up Leigh's book.

Hopefully I'll get to it before the end of this year and I'll let you know when I review it on my blog.

Jeffrey - true there are not a lot ..."

Hi Kat - Thanks. I'm out there working to get in touch with all of them, so if you want to suggest any, I would greatly appreciate it. You can post here or message me.

Jeffery Anderson | 19 comments Leigh wrote: "Let's network, Jeffery.

I look forward to your review, Kat!"

I'm always up for collaboration, Leigh!