Active GoodReaders discussion

Writers Corner > Write-a-long 3

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (last edited Nov 01, 2011 08:41PM) (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 392 comments Mod
Post stories or links here!

Prompt
Write at least 800 words based on the book that is currently closest to you.
Please note: The story does not have to be a fanfic (although for this prompt it can be) but there must be some recognizable theme or element from the book and please remember to post the title and author of your inspiration.

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) "Closest" how? Physicaly, the last book we read or are curently reading?, or our favorite book?

message 3: by Linda (new)

As in the one sitting nearest you, on your desk perhaps?

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) That's fine, but if it's a spacial thing, when I sit down to write, that could be a dictonarry or an encyclopedia. (and how in the world would I rate my kindle?)

If we're talking last read, or current read, or favorite read, or most inspirational read or the book I Identify most with, it could be very different.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments I have the Kindle problem too. So I just am using the book that was loaded currently. :)

I suppose the top book on the list would work otherwise.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Hugh (A.K.A. Hermit the Curmudgeon) wrote: "That's fine, but if it's a spacial thing, when I sit down to write, that could be a dictonarry or an encyclopedia. (and how in the world would I rate my kindle?)

If we're talking last read, or..."

I do know what you mean, when I was typing this up I looked around and the closest book to me was a cookbook from the Grand canyon :) wouldn't that be interesting.... but actually you are more than welcome to use the closest fiction (or non-fiction) and ignore the dictionarys, textbooks and cookbooks, I won't quibble (I couldn't anyway because I wouldn't actually know)
As for kindles: Heather is correct.

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Okay, it's closest in proximity. That works. Whats the dates for this agian?

message 8: by Linda (new)

Started November 2nd, ends November 8th.

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Actually, that works out well, porximity I mean. cause the book I'm reading has actually inspired (along with another more modern influence) one of the characters that actually goes with the last to chapters of what I posted for Write Along 2.

I have to do some modifying though. I went a bit of a different direction in Write Along 2.

message 10: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...

THere's my post. Hope it's entertaining, and not a waste of time.

I appologize for how long it is. I hope it's readable... if nothing else, it will likely help you go to sleep.

message 11: by Ice (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) I like the concept of a connected write a long.

message 12: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I just hope I can write something interesting. (I may like to eat, but that doesn't make me a good cook. I may like Art, but that doesn't make me an artist.) I like the concept, I just hope I write something worth the time anyone spends reading it.

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments Hugh quit downing yourself every time you post! Why would anyone want to read your work if you insult it before we get a chance to read it? Be proud of what you write. Who cares if other people like it if it makes you happy? I think you insult your writing before others have a chance to so it won't hurt as badly if people have a critique. Well that's not fair to yourself or your work. How are we suppose to fall in love with your story if you aren't? I'm sure you're a great writer so quit downing yourself!!!

message 14: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Yes....maaam. (so, you read it?)

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments Not yet I had to make dinner I'll read it and post. I read your write-a-long 2 story though and thought it was good. So be nice to yourself!

message 16: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I'll take it under advisement. (8-{D>

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments For starters Hugh I'm super jealous that you can write so much so fast. I write one paragraph and sit there reading it for an hour trying to make it perfect. I really liked it. Honestly, I have no idea why you are so hard on yourself. Good job! :)

message 18: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) To be personally honest, if I wrote in a week, it would be more like one or two chapters ... I have some old stuff that nobody has seen that I've been modifying.

I'd love to say I wrote it in three days, but... I can say I wrote it though.

I'm glad you like it. (The Boston Cop stuff was new and fresh though.)

No reason to be jealous. I can write a lot, but I need a lot of editing.

message 19: by Gina - (new)

Gina -   Behind the Pages (behindthe_pages) | 29 comments Ok I've chosen the novel Raziel because I was reading the synopsis on GR at the time when I saw the new write-a-long event. I have only used the theme of Angels and Demons not the actual storyline/setting etc so it's not fan fic.

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...

Comments please!

message 20: by The Pirate Ghost (last edited Nov 07, 2011 06:02AM) (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I'd also like to ask that everyone who's enjoying the write along either "like" or acknowledge posts of others, even if it's just being polite. It takes time to write and though it's fun for the writer, it's a scary thing to put your work out there, open to critisism and derision (or praise and applause) when your not a professional writer, editor publisher etc.

Most people have been gracious enough to ackowldge the writting and work that is getting done and I humbly appriciate that very much. I just want to make sure we share the love.

It's easy to feel discouraged whe, after a period of time and several posts of creative work there is no feed back. When someone gets discouraged enough, they quit.

Even if you didn't like the story, please acknowledge the inner strength it takes to put something out there for you to dislike it. (Nobody likes everything they read.)

I'll get off of my soap box now. Sorry for the rant.

message 21: by The Pirate Ghost (last edited Nov 07, 2011 08:58AM) (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) This is wonderful. It reminds me of Demon Girl by Penelope Fletcher.

I also recognize how unique the story is. I love inner conflict in story heroines/heroes. This is wonderful.

Thank you for sharing... when are you writing more of it?

Demon Girl (Rae Wilder, #1) by Penelope Fletcher

message 22: by Gina - (new)

Gina -   Behind the Pages (behindthe_pages) | 29 comments Never heard of that book but I put it on my to-reads list now so I can see if it is somewhat similar to what I have in mind. Maybe. I might write more but when I have time. P.s *like* the acknowledgement post/comment

message 23: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I don't read many PNR/Post Appocolyptic Fantasy/YA adventure stories. I read this one and really enjoyed it. It also calls Fairies, Demons, which I found oddly unique.

The idea of an angel/demon girl sounds like it would fit with this book.

P.S. Your welcome. I'm glad. Anyone posting on these story write alongs and puts them out there for people to see is taking a chance with their feelings unless they are a professional writer or something. I believe in rewarding risk and daring. ... but... there I go again. Sorry, I'll stop ranting.

message 24: by Gina - (new)

Gina -   Behind the Pages (behindthe_pages) | 29 comments I'll definately have to read it then, but not before I continue with the story because then I might keep thinking back to that book and "borrow" ideas accidentally without my noticing.
Don't worry about the whole ranting thing. I always have to stop myself from ranting as well.

message 25: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) That's cool. I understand that, not wanting to borrow thing. That's a good read. I'll post this weekend, (hopefully thursday or friday night. It's veterans day).

I'm going to try to keep the story going... back to the Boston Cops Ithink.

message 26: by Gina - (new)

Gina -   Behind the Pages (behindthe_pages) | 29 comments I'm only just to be on the safe side of things. I might use the next prompt we chose to continue with one of my other stories that I posted for the W-A-L's. That's one way to continue a story haha. Yes keep going!

message 27: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I'll need to write the first chapter fresh from Boston, well, the story, I'm not in Boston. Then go back to the snow (and poor Pollie).

message 28: by Gina - (new)

Gina -   Behind the Pages (behindthe_pages) | 29 comments Well good luck with it all and happy writing from Boston but not in Boston

message 29: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) You too.