GoodGames discussion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Burns (TheFailedPhilosopher) | 105 comments Mod
A gamer recommended thread topic here from the wonderful MrsJoseph.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) One of my favorite games! I'm about to start playing again...while waiting for 3 to come out.

message 3: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Tell me the premise for this one Mrs. J, please.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) No problem! Sensei, if I mess up, please correct. :-)

IIRC Diablo (game 1) starts in a small town named Tristian. Some years and years ago the devil Diablo was sealed within a crystal and then sealed within a human who was then buried. Years later the king of Tristan (who I think was dreaming about Diablo) some how starts to free him. This causes demons and devils and other evils to escape with him and harass the town.

Treasure hunters come, too. The character(s) are all treasure hunters but they have different characteristics. Later - after getting deep within the crypt that Diablo is in, the character goes from just hunting for treasure to actively seeking Diablo in order to seal him.

message 5: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) What platform? (Sounds fun!)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) Game 1 was PC only *I think.* Blizzard. Later I heard they made a console version. I think Sensei has a copy so I'm not sure which system.

Game 2 is PC - not sure about other formats.

Game 3 (which I'm impatiently waiting for) is supposed to be PC only - I've heard they are going to try to make a constant internet connection required. I'm waiting to see what happens.

message 7: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) PC, I could play that at work...

message 8: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Interesting...you can buy the first one on Amazon, but you have to have Windows 95 or 98. Who still has that? I have XP at work and the dreaded Vista at home, or a Macbook Pro. That so sucks that you have to have a specific operating system!

message 9: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-Sega-Dre...

It seems there is a PlayStation version, but holy EXPENSIVE game, people!

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) Amelia wrote: "http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-Sega-Dre...

It seems there is a PlayStation version, but holy EXPENSIVE game, people!"

OMG. That is INSANE! O_o

But you can get it used for $30.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) Myles wrote: "Absolutely loved the Diablo games.

Game 2 was strictly PC too, but it was a lot more expansive than game 1. Instead of going through one huge dungeon the game play was spread out over the "world..."

^This. Diablo2 is huge and lots of fun!

message 12: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Nov 03, 2011 08:46PM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 39 comments Yah, the Play Station game is for the original or PS1, and it's costs a fortune. I tracked one down several years ago and keep it locked in a Mithril vault guarded by trained dragons. Ironically the graphics aren't that special, it's just because it's Diablo.

The account above is correct (except the town is Tristram, not a big deal). The first game as noted is played through a huge dungeon. Diablo 2 (and it's expansion Lord of Destruction which adds a long new act, a new "boss" Baal) is played across the face of the world it caomes with a "cinematic disc which a prompt will call for between acts. It gives the Diablo back story, lets you know what's going on and sets up each act. The expansion also adds 2 new characters, the Assassin and the Druid. The original 5 were the Amazon (primarily fights with spears and bow), the Necromancer (a type of sorcerer who uses undead etc.), the Barbarian (just what you think, swords, axes etc. and can have a skill to fight with both hands), the Sorceress (magic, mostly elemental damage) and the Paladin (my personal favorite of course. He fights with swords etc. but his special weapons are mace type weapons).

It's a third person action RPG.

And like MrsJ I'm waiting impatiently for Diablo 3 (I'm playing through 2 and expansion again). Diablo 1 came out in '96 I believe, Diablo 2 in 2000...and we're still waiting for 3.

You can get a boxed set with 1,2 and expansion pretty inexpensively.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) You know, I've never played the expansion...

...the guy who owns the corner store near our apt bots Diablo2 all the time. He says he makes a lot of real world $$ for it. Apparently some kind of wipe happened recently (supposedly to get rid of bot-ters) but he says its actually prime money making time.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 39 comments MrsJ it's worth it. The expansion adds enough new material that's it's almost like a new game. It also makes your henchman worth keeping with you.

When I first got Diablo the first thing I found was that your companion or henchman was almost not worth having as they tend to run right into the enemies, get mobbed and killed. Or they rush a boss and die, whatever. they cost you a fortune if you kept bringing them back. Ehen you load the expansion it re writes a lot. the idea is to either convert existing characters to expansion characters or eve start over (some new things throughout, treasure, bigger stash, more set groups and so on). The henchman shows a lot more sense and doesn't do what amounts suicide (or at least not so often). I usually play a Paladin (though I've tried other characters) who is "basically" a melee fighter (I usually carry a throwing weapon as a back up or for places where I can't get to the enemy) so I usually keep the first hench-person (the archer, I go for a cold arroe) as she's already built her levels or pick up the wizard in the jungle.

You can get from Amazon for (I think) less than $20. It'll give you a lot of new content...as we wait for 3.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) Really??? I prefer to fight as a archer for distance (she basically comes with a hench cat, lol) but I got rid of her because my henchmen were worthless. I play now as a necromancer just to get the extra henchmen (last I counted I was getting close to being able to create 10 or so).

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 39 comments I know I was always skipping having the "hench-person" resurrected as they were killed off so regularly. With the expansion they are worth having. Also with the Druid you can call animals. They get more plentiful and more powerful as you progress, ravens to wolves to BEAR. Bear is like a sort of super fighter, really helps out, but you have to get fairly high up in level, like 30 or something.

Also the last act (the new boss act the expansion adds) is a long one and it's good.