Terminalcoffee discussion

Food / Drink > CANDY CANDY CANDY

Comments Showing 1-50 of 277 (277 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Oct 27, 2008 06:12AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments So in my part of Wisconsin the kids trick or treat on the Sunday before Halloween. Yes, it's stupid...we trick or treated yesterday. Does anyone else do this?

Anyway...I checked out the kids' candy and I can say, with authority, that these are my five favorite standard Halloween candies:

1. Whoppers: the perfect mix of crunch and chocolate.
2. Milk Duds: Bad for your teeth, yes, but lovely.
3. Baby Ruth: I like to see if I can bite off one peanut at a time. Yes, I'm a sick man.
4. Peanut M and Ms: An old standby that never lets me down.
5. Twix: Sort of like #1, but in a bar.

And a few of my least favorite:

Bit O Honey: What the hell? This is candy? Bleh.
Mounds: Anything with coconut is a no-go.
Twizzlers: I just don't like them. They taste like wax.

Comments? Your favorite candy? Your least favorite?

(By the way, if you really want to make friends, make sure the parents get candy too when their kids trick or treat at your door.)

shellyindallas You guys already trick or treated?! WTF? Weird. I've live in apts since I left home and don't get trick or treaters, but I hate Bit O Honey, too.

Faves (in order of most to least)

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (NOT Pieces)
Twix
Peanut M&Ms
Kit Kat
Hot Tamales
Raisinettes
Milky Way
Plain M&Ms
Snickers
Skittles

I agree about the coconut thing, too--Mounds are gross! Plus, wasn't that a Mounds bar in the pool in Caddy Shack?
I also hate Sugar Babies and Choco-Stix.

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) Parts of Illinois Trick or Treat a few days early because of a yearly festival on Halloween.

Favorites:
Twix
Snickers
Whoppers
Peanut Butter Cups

Least favorites:
Those generic peanut butter taffy things in the orange or black wrapper
Anything with coconut
black licorice

message 4: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Hmmmm, so much to choose from!

Favorites:

Heath
Twix
Kit-Kat
Pay Day (then Baby Ruth, then Snickers, in that order)
Hot Tamales (My movie choice)
Sour Patch Kids

Least Favorites:

Anything with Coconut...I agree
Milky Way
Tootsie Rolls
Jelly Beans

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Love Almond Joy, Twix, Kit Kat, Bit'O'Honey, Baby Ruth, Peanut M&Ms,

Actually, I love almost every candy except Butterfinger. Butterfinger can go find Dr. Pepper and they can just head to hell for all I care.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Apparently I'm the only coconut lover out there. I like Mounds and Almond Joy. My other faves are anything with peanut butter, Snickers and those little individual packets of Runts (with new flavors pineapple and watermelon).

Oh, and I love 100 Grand candy bars. Yum!

message 7: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Oh, Shell, Yes! 100 Grad are yum!

Coconut is still shit... :)

message 8: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Nope, you're not alone, Shell. I love Mounds and Almond Joy, too!

This is probably not a Halloween candy anywhere, but my new chocolate love is Hershey's Extra Dark with Cranberries, Blueberries, & Almonds. Oh dear jeezus, it's amazing! (And it's medicinal!)

http://www.hersheys.com/products/deta...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I LOVE dark, dark chocolate. The darker the better. And it's better for you!

message 10: by Valerie (last edited Oct 27, 2008 09:34AM) (new)

Valerie | 21 comments I like Nerds.
:)

I don't like Sweet Tarts or Boston Baked Beans. Gack.

message 11: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Favorite:

1. Jelly Belly brand Jelly beans
2. Kit Kat
3. Candy corn

Least:

1. Jujubes--For some unknown reason my dad likes these.

message 12: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) Oh man, I'd love for some kids to come to the door with someone waiting to ladle some hot, baked beans into their bags.

message 13: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Oct 27, 2008 10:21AM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Favorites, meaning pretty much anything chocolatey (really I prefer dark chocolate to all of these, but good luck getting any of that as Halloween candy!):
1. 3 Musketeers
2. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
3. Kit-Kats
4. Tootsie Pops

Won't eat:
1. Necco Wafers. These are food?
2. Mounds/Almond Joy. Coconut, yuck.
3. Black licorice. It even smells evil.

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm not a fan of nougat or whatever so I don't like 3 Musketeers, Jacks. What exactly is nougat? Am I spelling that right?

Tootsie pops rock, though...

message 15: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) I've thought about giving out toothbrushes, thereby guaranteeing no trick or treaters for years to come.

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I would buy the kids eggs so they could vandalize your house, Dan.

They would be entirely justified.

message 17: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) This probably isn't a good time to note that I only have one Christmas decoration.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments from Cook Advice:
http://www.cookadvice.com/glossary/11...

Nougat:
A sweet substance made from sugar, almonds or other nuts and honey. Can be chewy or brittle.

from the 3 Musketeers website:
http://www.3musketeers.com/news.shtml

What is nougat?
Ah yes nougat. Good question. Nougat is made by whipping egg whites until they are light and frothy. Sugar syrup is then added, stabilizing the foam and creating "frappe." A number of other flavoring ingredients are then added to the frappe; each ingredient creates nougat with a different taste. These nougats are then ready for use in the manufacture of specific brands as the filling in the bars, which is included in the delicious 3 MUSKETEERS® Bar.

message 19: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I love you, nougat.

message 20: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) Is everyone aware that Three Musketeers used to contain three kinds of nougat, not just one?

message 21: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I actually hate Halloween, as much as every other holiday and I normally stay home with all of the lights off and eat the candy out of the bowl. It somewhat goes back to my "stage fright" issues. It embarrasses me to open the door, I feel shy and uncomfortable. Then I begin to resent the little bastards for ringing the doorbell and making the dog bark.

This year I'm going to go out with my 8 mo. old niece. It will be torture, but for her I'll go. She's going to be a skunk, we took pictures in the yard this weekend. She's pretty freakin cute!!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments She's adorable, Ames! Are you going to dress up, too?

message 23: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Thanks! (She says with pride, as if she had anything to do with it!:)

No, like I said...stage fright. I don't really like to draw attention to myself if I can help it. I hated Trick-or-Treating when I was a kid. I did it, because everyone did it and it would have been torture to be the only one without candy. But, it was painful and I hated it. I loathed having to talk to strangers and beg for their candy.

It is a bit humiliating if you think about it.

message 24: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) Your niece is cute. I'd let her pick out which color toothbrush she wanted.

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'd let her pick out what egg she was going to throw at Dan's house.

message 26: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) She hasn't got a tooth yet, but she'd love it...anything that can go in her mouth is magic! You'd be her best friend, Dan.

message 27: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 5 comments Trick or Treating doesn't happen to often over here in England anymore - to many gangs of kids hanging around terrorizing everyone.

When I was a kid I loved Trick or Treating and I used to love getting packs of Haribo and we also got mini versions of our favourity chocolate, like Dairy Milk, Galaxy, Mars Bars, Snickers and so on.

I'm at a Halloween Party on Friday nite and my friend is doing dunking for apples - how much fun will that be!!!

message 28: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Probably not as much as you would imagine...

Drunken Twister was fun to watch tho!

message 29: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Is everyone aware that Three Musketeers used to contain three kinds of nougat, not just one?

What happened to the other two nougats? Downsizing?

message 30: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) The vanilla and strawberry nougats got the axe in 1945. Wiki doesn't say but it was probably a cost cutting measure. We've all been eating an inferior product for over 60 years!

message 31: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17345 comments Mod
It should be called The One Cheap Musketeer.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Oh, but wait! There's now a NEW 3 Musketeers flavor:

[image error]

So, we're back up to 2 Musketeers...

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Have any of you read "Candyfreak?" It's a great, entertaining read and will have you on a sugar kick for sure.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50...

message 34: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments So 3 Musketeers used to be a Neapolitan!

message 35: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Three Musketeers are gross, almost as gross as Charleston Chews!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Love Charleston Chews!

message 37: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 3 comments That was a good book Montambo... When the book was written, I was working for Annabelle Candy (they make Look!, Big Hunk, Abba Zaba, U-No & Rocky Road candy bars, mainly found on the West Coast). The author interviewed the president of the company and used to call me all the time for information (I was her assistant). He is a very cool dude. We were all sent signed copies of the book. (just my 2 cents on the subject).

My fave candy is Reese's Fast Break.

message 38: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I knew someone was going to love them, Mo. You can have all of mine...I'll trade you for your Pay Days, okay?

message 39: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17345 comments Mod
My sister and I used to weed out all the Three Muskateers from both our sacs when we got home from Trick or Treating. She loved them. She'd always peel the outer chocolate off and eat that first. Then she'd wad up the squishy foam (aka nougat) into a ball. Sometimes this ball would be built from multiple 3M bars to form one huge transfat mass. The sugar high would last for quite the while.

I tried it once. Not recommended at all.

message 40: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments (The junkie in me is considering trying that now.)

message 41: by Lori (new)

Lori I'm so glad I am not a candy addict! I used to love Milky Ways and M&Ms. I still enjoy KitKats (I have been known to steal them out of Jake's bag of goodies), and if I'm desperate a few M&Ms, but only the colored ones. Once the KitKats are gone, the bag holds no attraction for me.

Ice cream is my weakness. I have that pretty much every evening.

message 42: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I eat a piece of that new Hershey's I posted every day. 'Cause dark chocolate IS medicinal! (And fucking amazing!)

message 43: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) Thanks RA, everytime I see this heading I hear Iggy Pop in my head. Things could be worse, I suppose.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I am eating cough drops like candy, at the moment. Mmm, ColdEeze...

message 45: by Lori (new)

Lori For awhile before I discovered ColdEeze were zinc, I would try to suck on zinc lozenges but just had to stop because they were so metallic. I don't know how ColdEeze gets out that aftertaste, but the cherry flavored is quite good.

message 46: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 21 comments RE 34: I'll be forever grateful to "Candy Freak" for introducing me to the 5-Star Bar. (Hazelnut is the best one.) Yum.

message 47: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 21 comments Are you sick, Jackie? Or just trying to head off a cold (I hope)?

message 48: by Meen (last edited Oct 27, 2008 08:15PM) (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Damn moderation!

OK, Charly, I had to look up Chunky, and bah!, it's just boring old milk chocolate with peanuts and raisins. The new Hershey's kicks Chunky's ass all over the candy aisle!

:)

(But if you got some Chunkys you're not doing anything with...)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm trying NOT to come down with a cold, Val, but the sore throat keeps coming back.
Rats.

message 50: by Lori (new)

Lori 'Tis the season, Jackie. Seems a lot of people have this crud. Blech.

As for chocolate, screw Hershey, I'm all about Lindts. *drools*

« previous 1 3 4 5 6