Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1)
This topic is about First Grave on the Right
Archived: Series Reads > First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson #1) (Start Date December 12th)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments

This will be an open discussion of First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones. PLEASE EXPECT SPOILERS

Goodreads Synopsis:
A smashing, award-winning debut novel that introduces Charley Davidson: part-time private investigator and full-time Grim Reaper

Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.” But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely.

This is a thrilling debut novel from an exciting newcomer to the world of paranormal romantic suspense.

message 2: by Heather (last edited Dec 12, 2011 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Welcome to our "Buddy Read".
Stop by and say "Hi" and while you're here let us know what your thoughts are on the book. OR stay and answer discussion questions, volunteer to post some, or just chose to comment on the ones you want.

Date                           Chapters                     PPDQs*
December 12           Chp. 1 - 5                       Heather
December 13           Chp. 6 - 10                    CaroB           
December 14           Chp. 11 - 16                  Susan           
December 14           Chp. 17 - 21           

Will update closer to start date

*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

message 3: by Heather (last edited Nov 11, 2011 06:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Participants (thus far)

Lisa Kay
CaroB
✿Michelle✿
Susan
Heather
Anomander (discussion)
Cindy (discussion)
Anna

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm in!

Lina | 5563 comments I'm in :-)

message 6: by Michelle (last edited Nov 09, 2011 07:20PM) (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I think I'm in. I'll know for sure depending on how fast I can get through The Princess Bride. I think I may be able to do both buddy reads though, since I'm beginning to master the whole reading more than one book at a time thing.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Great ladies. I'll look at the chapters and break them down for our reading consumption. =)

message 8: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Alright, ✿Michelle✿, spill it. How are you reading more than one book at a time. In fact, that goes for the rest of you. I just can't seem to do it. I get so involved in the book I'm in, it absorbs me and my thoughts.

And, yep, I'll probably join in on this too LOL

message 9: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "Alright, ✿Michelle✿, spill it. How are you reading more than one book at a time. In fact, that goes for the rest of you. I just can't seem to do it. I get so involved in the book I'm in, it abso..."

I don't know. I just realized when packing up my books for my move, that my TBR pile is ridiculous, and I need to conquer it, LOL!

message 10: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Plus, reading via Buddy Reads seems to help me stay on track.

message 11: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments So, you only read a set number of chapters from a buddy read and read whatever on another book?

message 12: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "So, you only read a set number of chapters from a buddy read and read whatever on another book?"

That's what I've been trying to do. I've been so behind my reading lately, that I'm doing whatever I can to catch up.

message 13: by Lina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lina | 5563 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "Alright, ✿Michelle✿, spill it. How are you reading more than one book at a time. In fact, that goes for the rest of you. I just can't seem to do it. I get so involved in the book I'm in, it abso..."

I can do it, as long as I haven't started them both at the same time, that's just confusing. I usually get at least 5-8 chapters into one book before I can start another, but have to admit, I do tend to read ahead and finish the one that's got more intrigue or a faster pace.

message 14: by Midu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Midu Hadi | 1693 comments Hey! I've read the book but can join the discussion.

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Great, Anomander! You found us. ☺

message 16: by Midu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Midu Hadi | 1693 comments :-)

Cindy | 18 comments I have read the book as well, would love the excuss to read it again! I'm in.

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Welcome, Cindy!

message 19: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments YAY! New friends to read with!

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Great to have you here, Anomander and Cindy!

message 21: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 226 comments I would like to join in also.

message 22: by Lina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lina | 5563 comments Woohoo! Will be great to see all the discussions!

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Wonderful, Anna! ☺

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Welcome Anna!

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Updated the chapter breakdown and start date in title. I know this is a month out, but if you want to volunteer for questions, please let me know and I'll update accordingly.

message 26: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'll do the 2nd set of questions

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Thanks, Susan!!

message 28: by Gigi, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gigi | 833 comments Oh wow! I enjoyed the book and I cant wait to hear what everyone else thinks!

message 29: by Midu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Midu Hadi | 1693 comments I've already read it. Will be joining in for the discussion. And if you need for me to make questions, lemme know.

message 30: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments In case anyone needs this, check your local WalMart. Mine had about 3 shelves worth of it last night and had never had it before :)

message 31: by Heather (last edited Dec 07, 2011 06:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Thanks for the heads up, Susan.
I'm going to read mine via audiobook. Am I the only one?

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I was thinking of doing audio... it is hard to write question w/o a hard copy (at least for me), but I may just go with the flow. I'll have to see who narrates it.

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, it is narrated by Lorelei King, the same one who does the Stephanie Plum series.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Never got into that series, Lisa Kay. I was turned off with the author's Wicked Appetite (The Unmentionables, #1) by Janet Evanovich , so I haven't picked anything else by her since. I'm assuming its a good series with 18 books in so far though.

message 35: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I haven't tried that one, Heather. She tends to repeat herself, and she has said in interviews she is NOT going to have any "growth" for the characters in the Stephanie Plum series, which has pissed some people off. She stated she is not going to mess with what is “working.” I stopped the series for quite a while (I was getting sick of them and the same-old-same-old), but now they are fun again. I just look at them in a different way - No Resolution. I've tried some of her earlier work in the past and recently and didn’t like them, so I can see her point - she found a blockbuster and stuck with it.

Three Plums in One Gift Set (Stephanie Plum, #1-3) by Janet Evanovich

If you were to try it, I would stick with the first three books. Even my ex liked them. There is a movie coming out starting Katherine Heigl as Stephanie, Debbie Reynolds and Grandma, Sherri Shepherd as Lulu, Jason O’Mara as Morelli, and Daniel Sunjata as Ranger.

One for the Money Movie Trailer

message 36: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I caved and got the audio of First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones . Lorelei King also narrates the Mercy Thompson series.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments I may try the first one, just to see. =)

message 38: by Lina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lina | 5563 comments let me know when you do Heather. I've just bought her collection as ebooks, since I've heard so much about the series.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments I don't think I will until January, maybe tag it as a Femme Fatale book, since I hear it has a lot of humor in it and it could be a Lucille Ball book. Sound good?

message 40: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Are you ladies talking the Stephanie Plum series? 'Cause I'd be willing to start over and do the first three... it is on a "Never Ending Series" challenge I'm doing.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Yeppers, Lisa Kay.
Nothing set, but another book to read. lol

message 42: by Lina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lina | 5563 comments Oooh, good idea about using it for the Femme Fatale challenge Heather. I'll have to start looking through books for next year's challenges

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Me too, CaroB! I haven't even started. lol

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Everyone ready to start this tomorrow?
I'll post the 1st set of questions in the evening. Anyone want to volunteer for the next group of chapters?

message 45: by Lina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lina | 5563 comments I'll do the second set!

message 46: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Sure, I'll do the next ones. I'm looking forward to this!

message 47: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm staying at my ex's tonight. He is not doing that well. I will see if I can download the audiobook from audible.com to "little polka-dot." I'll try to keep you ladies posted on what is up with me.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Hope he's feeling better, Lisa Kay.

Thanks CaroB and Susan, I'll put you down on the chapter breakdown post (#2).

Cindy | 18 comments I'm ready too!

message 50: by Heather (last edited Dec 12, 2011 12:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Heather’s Questions for Chapters 1-5

1. First thoughts on Charley? Did you think this book was going to be humorous? Maybe I should ask if you find the book humorous?

2. We have some interesting characters introduced right from the start. Thoughts on why she can’t get Mr. Wong to leave? Who is Angel? Could he be the kid she met the night she was helping her sister with her school project?

3. What is going on with these dreams or possessions coming over Charley? Hot as they might be, they are a little alarming. Any ideas on how they are happening?

4. Do you think Charley gets used by her family, in a bad way, or is it just accepted on her part to help them? Uncle Bob seemed to be rather demanding, or was I reading too much into it all?

5. We meet Garrett, who knows about Charley, but doesn’t accept it. He seems pretty determined not to believe in her abilities, but then I get the sense he’s conflicted. What are your thoughts on him? Is he going to be a love interest? And why, if he’s a skiptracer, is he still involved and taking her to Elizabeth’s body?

6. Anybody else think the Rosie (case) matter is going to come up and bite Charley in the butt later in this book? She seems to have dismissed the ex pretty fast.

7. We got more information on Reyes. The situation surrounding their introduction was rather brutal. What was Reyes trying to prove with his display in the alley? For a teenager, he came off rather scary. Thoughts?

8. If the ghosts are supposed to move on, and they use Charley as a portal, why haven’t the 3 lawyers moved on? Just to stay around to find out who killed them, as none of them saw who killed them.

9. By Chapter 5 we see that Garrett might be coming around. Do you think that part of the reason why he starts to accept her truth is because he’s interested in her? Did you agree with her take on the “non-believers” and reluctance not to do parlor tricks to prove what she is, or was she just being stubborn about him?

10. The blur from Elizabeth sister’s house makes a reappearance, and Charley is convinced that it’s Reyes. What do you think he is that he can show up like that and have this dream-like effect on her?

« previous 1 3