Ask Lisa See! discussion

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
This topic is about Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
What was your favorite part of seeing the book translated into the movie?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rebecca (bellacarta) | 3 comments What was your favorite part of seeing the book translated into the "big screen"?

message 2: by Cyd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cyd | 3 comments Lisa were you asked to write the screen play?

Kathy | 2 comments Was there anything missing from the movie that you felt should have been included?

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Did you agree to the addition of the characters Nina and Sophia to the movie? This was so different from the book.

message 5: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa See | 81 comments Mod
Rebecca wrote: "What was your favorite part of seeing the book translated into the "big screen"?"

I'm cutting and pasting what I wrote for another question:

My favorite scene is based on the chapter called "The Letter of Vituperation." In the book, Lily totally takes down Snow Flower by reading this letter at a women's gathering. In the film, the director hired nu shu singers so you can hear what those songs sounded like, which is amazing and something I couldn't do in the book). Instead of Lily reading the letter, she sees Snow Flower, all these emotions play across her face, then she gets up and walks out without saying a word. the effect is the same: Snow Flower has been ostracized but it has been done in a purely visual and aural way.

message 6: by Lisa (new) - added it

Cyd wrote: "Lisa were you asked to write the screen play?"

they asked me several times, but I wasn't interested in writing the modern story.

message 7: by Lisa (new) - added it

Kathy wrote: "Was there anything missing from the movie that you felt should have been included?"

Maybe only half of the film is based on the book, so there's lots of things I wish had been included. The film is a bit like a Cliff Notes version of the book.

message 8: by Lisa (new) - added it

Theresa wrote: "Did you agree to the addition of the characters Nina and Sophia to the movie? This was so different from the book."

This was the director and the producers' decision. They felt that they could bring the theme of friendship into modern times.