http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Marci > Chapter Books

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marci (new)

Marci | 21 comments I chose to read Rules for one of my chapter books. This is a great story for any 4th, 5th, or 6th grade class. This story confronts the naiveness of autism and how people are treated that are autistic and/or has a sibling that is autistic. I think this is a great book for discussion groups as there is a lot of points of interest to center the discussion around. Many kids at the 4th grade level are not too familiar with what being autistic means and what autism is. This is a great way to teach that, especially when there are several or even just one autistic child in the school.

message 2: by Marci (new)

Marci | 21 comments For my second chapter book I read How to Steal a Dog. I read this book to my class and they loved it, as did I. This is a great book to zone in on the hard economic times that many of our students are facing, as well as homelessness. The character gets the idea to steal a dog from someone who must be wealthy in order to receive money if the dog is found...what a clever idea and it also helped to teach moral standards and honesty. This is a great book for about the 3rd or 4th grade level.