This topic is about The Rowan
Monthly Read: Themed > November Theme Read-The Rowan by Anne McCaffrey

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 1 star

Maggie K | 1282 comments Mod
November's them is Women in Sci-fi, and the group choice was The Rowan

Post your thoughts here!

Scott I'm up to part two. It's a quick read, not bad so far.

message 3: by Aloha (new) - added it

Aloha | 538 comments I decided to go for The Handmaid's Tale, instead. Finished it and loved it. I won't be joining in this read.

Megan Baxter | 277 comments Mod
I read this years ago, so probably won't go back to it (although I may reread Neuromancer for the other read to see if I like it any more this time.)

I remember it being serviceable, but very much romance science fiction.

Scott Yeah, I'm just getting to the romance part... *sigh*

This book and the next in the series were both far too "will she realize that this is the love of her life, and what will she do to get him!?!" for my tastes. Which is to say, I enjoyed them as a teenager, but have no real urge to go back to them.

Scott At least it's not as bad as Crystal Line...yet.

I've only read the first one in that series, and you're not making me eager to go back and read the rest! :)

Scott Crystal Singer and Killashandra were very good, but stop there.

message 10: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (last edited Nov 02, 2011 09:01AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

I thought the book set up well in the first part...nothing to get excited about but an interesting premise. I was fairly intrigued.

But then came Part II.

:|

message 11: by Aloha (new) - added it

Aloha | 538 comments I started the book, but didn't find it interesting enough to continue. Somehow the tone of the book did not sit right with me. I got a feeling that it might be pretty stupid. Handmaid's Tale or this. No brainer of a choice for me.

message 12: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 1 star

I can't say how disapointed I am in this romance...I can take romance in Sci-Fi, it is part of life. But this, love at first mind-brush? Im sorry, I dont buy it at all. I just keep asking "how did that happen?"

message 13: by Scott (new) - rated it 1 star

Scott That's how I felt. I thought I had missed something, that Jeff Raven had appeared before and I'd forgotten. Glad it's not just me.

I've made it to part three and am putting it down for now. I will finish it before the end of the month, though.

Suzanne | 69 comments Good comment Maggie, it was "love at first thought" =). I am about 2/3 done and I agree with some of the comments above - the first third was the most interesting (at least so far).

message 15: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 1 star

I think it just got worse and worse...falls into bad stereotyping......

Suzanne | 69 comments I finished the book - I liked the idea of psy talents, the world setup, etc. However, I did not like the story.

message 17: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy (kathy_h) Hmm. I picked up this book super cheap used. But after reading the comments, I'm not sure it will be worth my time to read.

message 18: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 1 star

Yeah-it was a good premise, lots of promise....

message 19: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill (jillrowan) It's been quite a few years since I read it but I'm enjoying it again so far. Anne McCaffrey is my favourite author but I've always seen this as one of her 'intermediate' works.

Suzanne | 69 comments Kathy, its not a horrible book to read (in my opinion). I think I wanted something different, since I liked the world setup so much. But it was a fun and fast read - I'd be interested to hear what you think (since you already have the book).

message 21: by Pat () (new)

Pat () I read it a long time ago and again for this thread. I too have Anne mcCaffrey as my favorite author. I enjoyed reading it again, but wished it was not broken in the middle. Felt like it was started and left and then finished as an afterthought.. I still enjoy all her books I just go with the flow.

message 22: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy (kathy_h) I started it. Not real far in, but working for me so far.

message 23: by Jill (last edited Nov 13, 2011 10:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill (jillrowan) Pat, I have some memory that the first third of the book was originally a short story and then Anne Mc expanded it for the book. I'm also under the impression that she did this for other books. Certainly the Catteni series (a long way from one of my faves!) is based on a short story in Get off the Unicorn as far as I recall.

I've finished it now and enjoyed it second time around, but Jeff irritated me somewhat and I felt my hackles rising that he had to be better, stronger, faster etc., etc., than the Rowan herself. In other words, only a man who could 'best' the Rowan could mate the Rowan!

message 24: by Scott (new) - rated it 1 star

Scott Some of it is based on "The Lady in the Tower," which appears in Get Off the Unicorn.

Similarly, Dragonflight began life as two novellas, "Dragonrider" and "Weyr Search."

message 25: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy (kathy_h) The first part of the book was enjoyable with the world building. But as we progress through the book -- it seems that there are a couple of big jumps in the story where a smoother transition would have helped the plot. Talk about falling in love in a paragraph.

message 26: by Scott (new) - rated it 1 star

Scott I'm sorry for picking this book for the monthly read (unless you enjoyed it, of course.)

I really thought it would be appropriate for the theme.

message 27: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy (kathy_h) I can't say that I am not enjoying it, but it will not be a favorite, but I will finish it. These group reads give me a chance to read a book that I would not necessarily read by myself.

message 28: by Suzanne (last edited Nov 14, 2011 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suzanne | 69 comments Nothing wrong with picking it Scott - you were right, it fit the theme =)

What people said about the first part being a short story makes a lot of sense. It would have been a great short story! So that was good to know.

message 29: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy (kathy_h) Finished it, and yes a short story would have been enough.

message 30: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 1 star

No worries Scott-It's good to keep ourselves open to reading different things...

message 31: by David (last edited Nov 20, 2011 02:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Fournier (mohawk1df) I'm a big fan of Anne McCaffery, and I have enjoyed all the books in this series (read 3X). From a males perspective I'm glad there was very little romance in the story. The story is suppose to be about the science fiction not the romance. To many people are more interest in the romance and not in the story itself. Quite a few of the books (some the beginning of series) I have read had a heavier inclusion of romance then in "The Rowan" and while being good. were about as exciting a watching paint dry. So why were they written?

For true Sci-Fi try the "WWW" series or "Mindscan" by Robert J. Sawyer. These books bring up some really interesting topics/issues for discussion.

message 32: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 1 star

There was more romance than this one????
My whole issue with this book was that it turmed into a romance rather than follow through with the set-up for Rowan being a true Psionic leader that was happening in the first section. Too much for my taste

message 33: by Scott (new) - rated it 1 star

Scott Very little romance? David, are you sure we are talking about the same book? Every other page with the "Oh, Jeff, my love!" It wasn't about the science at all, in fact the characters might as well have been wizards with all the unexplained power they have.

I read Sawyer's first WWW novel, and while it did have some interesting ideas and information in it, the writing was terrible.

message 34: by Pat () (last edited Nov 22, 2011 11:44AM) (new)

Pat () Dragonsong, Dragonflight and Dragon Singer are and always will be my favorite books with Robinton Masterharper of Pern a very close second. Such a sad story.
I am very glad you chose The Rowen Scott. The fact it was once a short story would explaine it all.

There are reports coming in from a couple of sources that Anne McCaffrey died yesterday.

The Rowan may not be one of my favourite of her works (and I do find her later work, in particular, weak), but Dragonsong and Dragonsinger had a huge impact on me when I was growing up. She will be missed.

message 37: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy (kathy_h) Pat (Scorpio) wrote: "Dragonsong, Dragonflight and Dragon Singer are and always will be my favorite books with Robinton Masterharper of Pern a very close second. Such a sad story.
I am very glad you chose The Rowen Sco..."

I too am glad that this book was chosen. The book was not my favorite, but this discussion has been very good.