Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Last Night at Chateau Marmont
This topic is about Last Night at Chateau Marmont
Book Issues > Confused

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (moragepona) | 33 comments I know I'm technically a librarian, but I'm a bit confused here (still new to the job).
The Bookcover, Author and ISBN are identical to the book I bought today, but the title is different to the one on the cover. Was "Last Night at Chateau Marmont" once published with this title? Or is it simply a wrong entry? If so, can I go ahead and change it?

message 2: by Georgina (new)

Georgina Howlett (georginahowlett) | 13 comments At a guess, I think the name could be wrong, unless it is the name of a book in the series...? You would know better than me - you should change it to what you think. If you're wrong or anything, there are other Librarians who will in their turn change it back if something is wrong :)

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments Georgina wrote: "At a guess, I think the name could be wrong, unless it is the name of a book in the series...? You would know better than me - you should change it to what you think. If you're wrong or anything, t..."

I wouldn't recommend that. Open discussion if there is confusion is much better, that way everyone gets edjucated.

In this case, it looks like it was just a bad import. It doesn't come up on worldcat but the link to Amazon has the correct title as Last Night. That could have been its title before it was published. I fixed it.

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments It looks like that How to Kiss a Rockstar is the international name for the book. Books are published with different titles and covers in the USA and Europe.

Hang off on changing anything - I have only found 1 mention, so will post back after a bit more exploration

message 5: by Jessica (last edited Nov 01, 2011 10:56AM) (new)

Jessica | 963 comments Paula wrote: "It looks like that How to Kiss a Rockstar is the international name for the book. Books are published with different titles and covers in the USA and Europe.

Hang off on changing anything - I hav..."

Clash of the Librarians, LOL! I did not see How to Kiss under the other editions so I didn't think that was the case. Feel free to "undo me" if you find anything, I'm hitting up worldcat.

*update- that title doesn't come up on worldcat, so I stand by the edit - unless of course you find something :)

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments LOL -

I think it's a safe change, I can only find one mention in a press release so looks like she only went with the one name

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments Paula wrote: "LOL -

I think it's a safe change, I can only find one mention in a press release so looks like she only went with the one name"

See this is why discussion is good :p

message 8: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (moragepona) | 33 comments Thanks to you all. I am aware that some books get published under different titles in different countries, but having bought it in Switzerland under the Last Night... Title I figured something probably went wrong

message 9: by Georgina (new)

Georgina Howlett (georginahowlett) | 13 comments You never get such peaceful coordination in Government... I guess that makes us Librarians just that awesome, hahaha :)

I'll go back to looking over another book that's been mentioned now :3

message 10: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (moragepona) | 33 comments Actually, whilst I'm at it, I have another ISBN that leaves me muddled. It's 978 185326 1169. My version is Little Women (Wordsworth Classics), the Edition on here, however, is a combined Edition of Little Women & Good Wives. Can I add an alternate cover Edition same as usual? Or is it more complixated than that?

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41704 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "Can I add an alternate cover Edition same as usual?"

That would be my suggestion.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

FYI, while the book was originally published as two parts, most modern printings combine Little Women and Good Wives into a single volume titled Little Women.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments rivka wrote: "FYI, while the book was originally published as two parts, most modern printings combine Little Women and Good Wives into a single volume titled Little Women."

Really?

(this is how you can tell I've never read it...)

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I have read the entire series many times, and had to remind myself of this fact anyway. (I separated it out and then looked some more and realized it really should be combined and put it back.)

message 15: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Hodson (shieldon) | 11 comments BTW, how do you add books?

message 16: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Help Topic
If you can't find a book
If you can't find a book on our search engine, you have two options. The first option is to search by ISBN. You can find ISBN numbers on in the inside cover of your book or on Amazon. The second option is to add the book yourself by clicking on 'manually add book' on the right side of the search page.

message 17: by Nenangs (last edited Nov 10, 2011 02:30PM) (new)

Nenangs | 469 comments rivka wrote: "FYI, while the book was originally published as two parts, most modern printings combine Little Women and Good Wives into a single volume titled Little Women."

rivka wrote: "I have read the entire series many times, and had to remind myself of this fact anyway. (I separated it out and then looked some more and realized it really should be combined and put it back.)"

why are they combined? i really am confused. is this mean that if older books published as series, with separate titles and different isbn (or without isbn), but later (or much later) mostly published as single book, they must be combined?

ETA: the implication is that the same way should be done for books originally published as single volume but later published as several books in a series.

ETA2: or is there a specific reason/condition to trigger such treatment?

message 18: by vicki_girl (last edited Nov 10, 2011 03:26PM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments There are some books titled "Little Women" that actually contain both parts 'Little Women' and 'Good Wives'. This actually true of most modern publications. Some older publications include both titles on the cover. These are combined because they have the same contents.

Editions containing just the first part (titled 'Little Women' and originally published separately) would be kept separate from editions containing both parts. :)

message 19: by Sarah (last edited Nov 10, 2011 11:06PM) (new) - added it

Sarah (moragepona) | 33 comments Aaah, but there's part of the rub, they're not... At least in my case.
And it's not even the first part that shares an isbn with a book that contains both parts, it's the second (though that shared isbn DOES Show up as a double of the first. But at any rate, I will finally (soon) get round to finding my book covers or taking pictures of them, and adding alternate cover editions.

Also, do I seperate those two editions in that case? The First and First & Second that show up as doubles?

message 20: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Looking at the ISBN you listed in msg 10, it looks like bad data from B&N. According to Worldcat, that edition should be just 'Little Women'. In this particular case, I would change the cover and title and separate it from the editions containing the First & Second parts.

Looking at the list of combined editions, the two part "Little Women" (and most of the rest of Alcott's works) really needs some attention.

message 21: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (moragepona) | 33 comments I'll get on that this weekend, my cover images and the list's.

message 22: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (moragepona) | 33 comments Well, I've managed to sort some of the books out on the Louisa May Alcott list. But there are a few editions out there that dumbfound me. One of them is: 1569945098
Whilst the numbering would suggest it might be goodwives, it's summary says it's Little Women, I'd say. Also, whilst I did my best to seperate any combined Little Women & Good Wives from the Single Editions, I'm not sure I got them all, as I received gateway errors twice during the process, so if someone could just have a quick check, 4 eyes are always better than 2 :)

PS, the other Editions that aren't entirely clear to me, are the ones that say Volume 3/3, same problem as above.

message 23: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments It probably means volume 3 (third volume) of a total of 3 volumes, e.g., vol 1, vol 2 and vol 3. Sorry to sound so "elementary" if you already knew that and were asking something else that's above my head :)

message 24: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (moragepona) | 33 comments I figured that much out, it's just that the numbering doesn't mesh with the summaries of those books, nor with the amount of books in the series, so I'm not sure what the numbers are referring to, if perhaps the easy readers are in 3 volumes instead of 1 or something like that...

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Georgina wrote: "At a guess, I think the name could be wrong, unless it is the name of a book in the series...? You would know better than me - you should change it to what you think. If you're wro..."

You spelled educated wrong.. lol it doesnt have a J in it

message 26: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Sarah wrote: "I figured that much out, it's just that the numbering doesn't mesh with the summaries of those books, nor with the amount of books in the series, so I'm not sure what the numbers are referring to, ..."

Yes, most of the "Easy Reader" editions for various works are split into multiple volumes.

message 27: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (moragepona) | 33 comments Kay, so I'll just leave those as is, hope I did more good than cause trouble with the combines/separations I did. I'm pretty sure I got at least some of the obvious ones right.