Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Realms of the Elderlings Series > ASSASSIN'S QUEST - Finished reading **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I read this some time ago, and loved the developing relationship between Fitz and Nighteyes, the ongoing saga of whatever happened to Verity, and loved the resolution.

It has been criticized for using a 'Deus ex Machina' with the appearance of the dragons, but I disagree, as I saw hints woven into the entire trilogy about the fact that they would eventually appear, and were, in fact, what had saved the seven kingdoms in the past.

message 2: by Amelia (last edited Nov 01, 2011 10:13AM) (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Fitz's recovery from being a wolf, I felt really reflected what a wolf would go through trying to become human again. I was ready for Fitz to get over his vendetta against Regal. He did some really stupid things. I think he should have just gone to Verity.

I was sad that Verity wasn't able to return to actually rule his people again, but also very glad he got his chance to actually be out there fighting for his people and his country.

I loved, loved how Fitz actually ending up dealing with Regal.

I think this was quite a different take on dragons. From the cover I had, I already knew there were going to be dragons somehow in the book. Getting to the Dragons and the Elderlings, though, seemed fresh to me.

I really enjoyed this book. I will be reading the other 'sister series' whether we decide to keep going or not.

message 3: by Traci (new)

Traci This was where I really begun to love Hobb. My favorite part of the book was the growing friendship between Fitz and the fool. I loved the sections on Verity and the dragons. Burrich and Molly. I'm a little stumped right now because I have read Liveship and Tawny Man and don't want to give anything away...but they're both awesome.
She has a way with characters that they seem like home and family. One of the, maybe the best, writer of emotion I have read.

message 4: by Christy (new)

Christy Martin Bullock | 12 comments What a fantastic trilogy. I finished the third book about a month ago and have almost finished The Tawny Man trilogy. Not quite sure what I will do when I can no longer read about Fitz:(

message 5: by Helen (new)

Helen Finished it yesterday, shed yet more tears. I really enjoyed it; lots of reasons including Fitz and Nighteyes, Fitz and the Fool, and many, many more. I liked that the Elderlings couldn't be woken except by someone with the wit, nice little dig. I don't like that Fitz is left feeling like an old man, I want him to be toung and run with his wolf forever!

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 212 comments I agree with Regal, even though I wanted him to suffer, the way Fitz dealt with him suprised me and was good.

I would still like to know more about the Fool, but I was glad we learned some things, and I guess that is what other trilogies are for.

I also liked how very foreign the dragons were. They weren't cute, friendly, biddable beasts. It was good Nighteyes was there to direct them. It was also interesting and sad to read about where/how forging came about.

message 7: by Helen (new)

Helen Yes, I like the circle of forging. We started it, they copied it and now we're doing it. A twist I didn't expect. Presumably the fool's errand books are about our Fool?

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I think there is more about the fool in the Ships trilogy.

message 9: by Helen (last edited Dec 01, 2011 01:05PM) (new)

Helen Am looking forward to reading those. Are you putting their picture up in forthcoming reads - go on!

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Helen wrote: "Am looking forward to reading those. Are you putting their picture up in forthcoming rooms - go on!"

Yes, I believe we agreed that we will continue reading these and also select a new series next month to start in January.

message 11: by Mach (new)

Mach | 41 comments I don't want to spoil anything but the Fool is kind of in Liveships Traders but the Fool as you know him will not appear before The Fool's Errand books.

message 12: by Likos (new)

Likos X (likosx) | 10 comments In the last weekend I got some free time to spent... not much housework (the saturday is the day for such things) and not good weather for a walk, so I've decided to relax by reading and in the sunday late night I've finished "Assassin's Quest". Time well-spent.

First of all a word about Hobb, she is a very good writer, beyond if you like or not the contents. Though I got some problem with the second book, as I wrote before, I have to admit that this trilogy and its protagonist leave the mark.

I've read on the internet many reviewers which complain of the "change of direction" of this book, many found it "lesser emotional" and also many didn't like the final, finding the whole book and its conclusions "too depressing". My experience was quite different...

The beginnig: in some way it reminded me the movie "trainspotting"... like a drug-addicted, Fitz in his come back to life, had to refind himself and his humanity, trying not to give in to temptantiong of "remaing" wolf... the short way (a simpler life, with no duty, no suffering, no time... only today, only the pack it's important)
He struggled hard, with the reliable and patient Burrich at his side, and finally he come back!

Now Fitz is grown up, but everything is changed, he is changed and now he has to find his own way, and he has to do it alone... that's the real quest of the title for me: he has to find and realize his destiny.

And so begin his lone journey, where Fitz may appear the worst strategist in the history, but with all his mistakes I found him so human, so real. I liked all the inner evolution of the character. I liked also how were developed the relations between characters, and in particular the roles of the Fool and of Nighteyes.

I found interesting the role of the minstrel, described as an "untouchable", because he/she is a sort of "history guardian"... In our world the information (and the control of it) is power, an so are powerful minstrels in Hobb's world, doesn't matter which is the truth.

The end: the extreme sacrifice, the total annihilation for a greater good. "Do the right thing" doesn't mean that "...and they lived happily ever after"... but we all knew that from the first book, from the beginning the tone of the teller isn't that of an happy man.

In conclusion I liked this book, and I think that I will start the next trilogy, looking forward to the "Tawny Man" trilogy, to meet again Fitz.

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Nice analysis, Likos!

message 14: by Helen (new)

Helen I agree. I wanted Burrich to know he's alive but have changed my mind now as I feel that he deserves a happy life and he'd feel guilty about being with Molly. Excellent trilogy.

message 15: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 51 comments A good point that people don't always live happily ever after - a theme in Farseer seems to be that the past can never be returned to, and that some opportunities, once missed, can never again be taken. It's a theme that becomes a lot more important, iirc, in Liveships.