Dystopian and Paranormal Romance discussion

The Twilight Saga (Twilight, #1-4)
This topic is about The Twilight Saga
Books > Why Haters Hate Twilight

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

Daphne Delacroix | 487 comments Mod
Okay, so basically, some of you may know of the discussion set up by Jo. 100 reasons why haters hate Twilight. Well, the list was really STUPID! Below is the link to the discussion:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

Go there, and check out the list, then come back here, and see the difference in mine.

Twilight Fans, this is in no offense just a better version of the above-mentioned discussion. You are all free to post your opinion. There will be minimum 5 points, and I'll keep adding more as I think it through.

1. It is badly written
2. Most of the characters are really shallow. Especially Bella. Truthfully, my favorites were Rosalie, Emmett, Jasper and, most of all, Alice
3. Love at first sight cliche/crap
4. Very bland
5. The end is really shitty. I mean, Jacob falls in love with Bella's kid?!Seriously?!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j_p_higgins) | 115 comments MUCH better version, I like twilight but I actually agree with all your points - especially the beginning of the 1st book was badly written. I love Alice the most. And yea the 5th point... seriously I could get over some things but that annoyed me the most.

message 3: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

You know that's against the law right? it was lyk Meyer cudnt think of an ending to the love triangle! of coure no offense to u. i was also once a fan.

message 4: by wolf spirit (last edited Nov 01, 2011 05:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

wolf spirit | 47 comments 1.I like twilight, but I did not love the movie
2. I agree with you on number two Daphne and also Jacob and his gang fit the book
3. In the movie, the first movie there was so many awarkd moments and Bella with Edward and they both never really clicked to my loving as the book protrait it
4. Vampires that sparkle in the sunlight? hm...very intersting considering the vampires I know in most books do not shine they already have that sex appeal to draw out thier beauty.
5. You just can't leave out Jacob though Daphne so she made an imprint with Jacob and Renesmee which is funny and weird. haha *laughs*

For one thing I love the books more than the movies.
For the second thing I loved the second and third movie more than the first. For the thrid thing no I am not that inlove with the series as most people are. I have only watched each movie once.

message 5: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

i liked the book, but any respect i had for it went down the drain after book #2

wolf spirit | 47 comments On what points did you lose the respect for the second and so on series?

message 7: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

after book 2 i still liked book 2. i lost respect for it when she kissed jacob just to hut up his whining and when she said yes to marrying eddie(he doesnt deserve to be called edward.)

message 8: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 1 comments I agree with number 5. Book 1 - 3 were okay but in bd i just thought: how unimaginative does it have to be? when i think about twilight i just delete book 4

message 9: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

i actually read it a while ago, so i dont exactly remember how i felt. all i remember is that i had liked it, but then hearing ppl point out the mistakes, i started seeing them too, and bye bye twilight!

wolf spirit | 47 comments @ Daphne yeah she did protray him as a whinny person...LOL Eddie nice one...ah yep she did only because Eddie wanted her to marry her in exchange for to become on of his species. Which was weird.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j_p_higgins) | 115 comments omg you are converting me... seriously, reminding me of the things I never liked about the books but made myself ignore in order to enjoy the story. It didn't seem like I ignored so many things at the time. I HATED when she kissed Jacob - it made NO sense for that to be her reaction.

message 12: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

wolf spirit wrote: "@ Daphne yeah she did protray him as a whinny person...LOL Eddie nice one...ah yep she did only because Eddie wanted her to marry her in exchange for to become on of his species. Which was weird."

way! i mean who wud say yes to a gay(sparkly) vamp who looks like a sheet?!

message 13: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

Jessica wrote: "omg you are converting me... seriously, reminding me of the things I never liked about the books but made myself ignore in order to enjoy the story. It didn't seem like I ignored so many things at..."

Jessica wrote: "omg you are converting me... seriously, reminding me of the things I never liked about the books but made myself ignore in order to enjoy the story. It didn't seem like I ignored so many things at..."

see? this is how i converted from being a fan to NOT! ppl reminded me of bad things i never even NOTICED!

wolf spirit | 47 comments LOL I would never say yes to a sparkly vampire...ooo no i would not. I know right

Okay out of curiosity do you think Bella made the right choice to be with Edward (Eddie for Daphne) or Jacob?

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j_p_higgins) | 115 comments If I was seriously in that situation, I would have gone with the one where I didn't have to leave my family - Jacob. But if you've read the books you know it is actually quite a while into the book before we are introduced to Jacob. Don't we always want the girl to end up with the boy character we first loved? Yes. And the next guy is always like the intruder. In the story we're supposed to believe she and Edward are soul mates also sooo I always wanted her to end up with Edward even though I would not have picked that.

wolf spirit | 47 comments I would have gone with Jacob as well. Yes I agree it is the character we love that we want the girl to go with. Sometimes it is not always the case....LOL I have no idea which man I wanted Bella to be with.

message 17: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

no actually! jacob was introduced FIRST! and they were best friends always! or at least friends! remember? when bella FIRST cam, jacob was there with his dad. she later met eddie at skool

I HEART JACOB BLACK/TAYLOR LAUTNER!

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j_p_higgins) | 115 comments ah but as sort of a side note at first lol

message 19: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

ehh, he was still introduced first, which was a subtle hint as to the importance of jacob.Im team jacob, btw! OH, BTW, didi u watch the part 1 of part 4? (lol!) i havent but i heard christina perri's song a thousand years and loved it!

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j_p_higgins) | 115 comments yes! I didn't like the director as much I think - I loved the story and all but I wasn't a fan of the horror scenes cause they looked so fake lol, but maybe that's just cause it had to be PG-13. But overall I liked it :) I really liked the honeymoon and the very very end. It did seem a little fast paced to me, think they were really trying to fit everything in!

message 21: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

I cant really reply that well cause unfortunately *note the sarcasm* I havent watched the movie, but I hate fake horror scenes! Theyre so...unnecessarily gory, i crack up laughing! LOL! XD

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j_p_higgins) | 115 comments lol I seriously was having trouble holding back the laughter - they showed her breaking her bones when she stood up like it says in the book and even just the movements for that were so fake!

message 23: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

Seriously?! BREAKING BONES?! She mustve done that weird zombie thing where they stand up all weirldy at right angles n stuff :P that is so stupid!

message 24: by Rishelle (new)

Rishelle (pinkshelly) | 6 comments Ok was I the only one that thought the ending was really lame. She builds up to this dramtic battle against the bad vamps. But then they dont fight, like really have the book is building up to the battle but then nothing, it was so lame!

Has anyone seen the trailer for the Host? Personally I think it looks lame. Why would they make that into a movie? How are they gonna do that, the whole book is the two girls arguing in one head.

Also the book is very differnt from her other books, the wrighting was way better, did she really wright it?

message 25: by Rishelle (new)

Rishelle (pinkshelly) | 6 comments *half

message 26: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

Mmmm, don't take offense in what I'm gonna point out, but being a great grammar and spelling freak,I just HAVE to say this! PLEASE DON'T HATE ME! But it's actually 'write' not 'wright'

And I don't know, which of the four books are you talking about? New Moon or Eclipse?

Third, I happen to love the Host!

message 27: by Jessica (last edited Mar 29, 2012 01:03PM) (new)

Jessica (j_p_higgins) | 115 comments I'm sorry I had to laugh - a comment about bad writing with that word spelled wrong. I'm guessing you were just using internet slang, so I'm not trying to say anything bad about you, just thought it was kinda funny.

She's definitely talking about Breaking Dawn. In the whole book they are getting ready for this battle and they get vampires from all over to come and help them fight the Volturi. It keeps building you up for this BIG action scene and then NOTHING happens. There is NO actual fight, no action! That annoyed me more than anything with that book. Well that and the Jacob and Renesmee thing.

I honestly think Stephenie Meyer just had more experience by the time she wrote The Host and probably a better editor too.

message 28: by Tess (last edited Mar 29, 2012 07:12PM) (new)

Tess I've never read the books but I've tried more than once. I just can't get past 50 pages, I'm not bashing Stephanie but the book bores me soooo much.

I've heard The Host is MUCH better, but it's so big that i don't think i'll ever pick it up, tbh.

I'm not gonna lie i enjoyed the first few movies. They definitely aren't great but they entertain me.

(although breaking dawn P1 was so boring nothing happened AT ALL, i expected there to be action but it was wedding, honeymoon, Bella's pregnancy, tiny fight, birth, Bella's eyes opening, the end.)

I don't think people should say some of the things they say about Stephanie's writing though, most is unnecessary, rude, and i can't imagine how it makes her feel.

message 29: by Rishelle (new)

Rishelle (pinkshelly) | 6 comments I loved the Host too.

Well she wrote the host inbetween eclipse and breaking dawn, and breaking dawn sucked, so i dont think she could have improved that much just to suck really bad again...

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j_p_higgins) | 115 comments I forgot about that Rishelle! She must think she doesn't have to try that hard for YA or something!

message 31: by Rishelle (new)

Rishelle (pinkshelly) | 6 comments The Host isnt YA? I thought it was.
I was just under the impression she had a lot of help, maybe even a ghost writer???

message 32: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j_p_higgins) | 115 comments haha idk about that, but yea The Host isn't YA.

message 33: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

Jessica wrote: "I'm sorry I had to laugh - a comment about bad writing with that word spelled wrong. I'm guessing you were just using internet slang, so I'm not trying to say anything bad about you, just thought i..."

I honestly don't know about that part,because all I've reallydone is read the reviews for book and movie no.4 I haven't read or watched, only done both in the three books before. But I'm guessing you're probs right! Probably had a different editor while writing the Host, because the first one must still have been working on Twilight fhen

message 34: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (last edited Mar 30, 2012 02:23AM) (new)

Tess wrote: "I've never read the books but I've tried more than once. I just can't get past 50 pages, I'm not bashing Stephanie but the book bores me soooo much.

I've heard The Host is MUCH better, but it's so..."

My family says that when I go to a book store, I don't ask the...helper...over there for a name of a specific book. I say, "Hi, I'm looking for any book between the range of ten to fifteen kilograms! please make sure the CONTENT is that much, don't add the weight of the hardcover. That's just excess weight. Oh, and also make sure that it's 5 cm in thickness! Has to be a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig book!" LOL that's like a classic joke among my family members. They bring it up at the dinner table EVERY TIME! And it's getting kinda old... XD

message 35: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

Tess wrote: "I've never read the books but I've tried more than once. I just can't get past 50 pages, I'm not bashing Stephanie but the book bores me soooo much.

I've heard The Host is MUCH better, but it's so..."

BTW, Tess, I understand your sensitivity towards Meyers, but people who talk that way about her writing are called critics and it's their job to do it. A good critic always has something negative ro say about a movie, book, piece of art, or anything else. Nothing and no ones perfect. It just takes a good eye to find the hidden imperfections! HEY! I should make that a quote! I WILL!

message 36: by Rishelle (new)

Rishelle (pinkshelly) | 6 comments Oh thats intresting that the Host is not YA i did not know that.

Dont read breaking dawn its not worth it, you will just be disappointed.

message 37: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

I wont!I'll just skip to the movie, and ONLY because I want to hear Christina Perri's song used in it.

message 38: by Rishelle (new)

Rishelle (pinkshelly) | 6 comments Yeah, i have no idea wat they r gonna do with that movie cuz nothing happenes in that second part. I'll have to look it up.

message 39: by Daphne, Prima Aphrodite (new)

LOL, then it'll be pretty boring, huh?