UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > Words to the Wise:Book 1 - Cornelius Harker - How are you getting on

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Words to the wise Book 1

How did it go? Reviews here. If you know how to tag spoilers then they can go here, otherwise please wait for the book discussion thread to open.

Words to the wise Book 1

message 2: by Kath (last edited Nov 01, 2011 04:28AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I chose this book because I think it's stunning; it has challenged and changed my concept of its genre. It really defies categorisation.
Dark, yes; Gothic; yes but also historical - it begins in the 1740s and the language reflects this. It's philosophical, mythic, fantastic in the true sense of the word. It's an Arthurian style quest.

But I value it mostly highly because of its creative linguistic style. Cornelius uses words as an artist uses pigment, to mix, blend, produce completely new shades and nuances. You can't skim-read this book because the writing is so dense and rich. It's a treasure house which reveals more on each reading.

If half of those who read it enjoy it half as much as I have there'll be more satisfied readers in the world. You might, like me, become addicted to his work. Don't worry though, it's such a very pleasant addiction - like being ensnared in a net of stars!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments A very enticing explanation Ignite. I will be buying it. If everyone on the group behaves I might even have time to read it.

Thanks for making the selection :)

message 4: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Pleasure. It might be worth pointing out to anyone who has it in their TBR list, that this is a new edition with some editing and tightening of the pace. You can get the new version (free) by going on Amazon's home page, clicking 'help' in the top right corner and on the next page, click the 'contact us' button. You then get a page from which you choose Kindle and Kindle content, and then email them asking for the latest. Give the Author, title and the ASIN doesn't go amiss - B004GHNIOI. They'll send it free within an hour or so. You'll get an email.

If you have been, thank you for listening!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow - that is a good recommendation Ignite! Hopefully this will bring Cornelius's work greater recognition.

:0)

message 6: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I hope so Karen, because I find Book 2 is even more satisfying but you need the first book to set the scenes and pose the puzzles!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Wow. I'm looking forward to this one! You've made me salivate, Ignite!

message 8: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Wipe your chin dear. Mushy banana is not a good look!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Have a look at my post over in the 'zoo in Simons November Goodreads thread, Ignite. You may want to reply at some point.

I need some custard to go with these bananas...

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments I have this in my TBR list.........how do I find out which edition I have?

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments The no voters are out over at Amazon......

message 12: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Stuff 'em Simon! I have copied it over Patti.

message 13: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Jay-me (Janet) wrote: "I have this in my TBR list.........how do I find out which edition I have?"

It will be an older one - it's been updated very recently - ask for the new and we're all on the same hymn sheet.

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate (littlekate1) | 574 comments What a great recomendation. I have ordered it and put it in my 'to read' section.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments Ignite wrote: "Jay-me (Janet) wrote: "I have this in my TBR list.........how do I find out which edition I have?"

It will be an older one - it's been updated very recently - ask for the new and we're all on th..."

I've just checked & I got it on the 14th October.

message 16: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I believe it's been tweaked a tad since then but you are near enough for jazz with that! I hope you enjoy it.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Ignite wrote: "Stuff 'em Simon! I have copied it over Patti."

Erg. I was hoping they'd have to come here to see it...

message 18: by Kath (last edited Nov 01, 2011 07:13AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Whoops! Hush my mouth! Shall I edit it to say - come over and see?
Ok I edited it. Guilty of promoting the book more than the forum eh? Naughty! (But nice?)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Very nice, Ignite. You're a superstar.

message 20: by Cornelius (new)

Cornelius Harker | 829 comments I've only recently managed to pick myself up after discovering that my novel is one of those chosen for the 'November book selections'. Thank you so much, Kath, it means a great deal to me. Your reasons for choosing it have left me speechless. All of a sudden my little dungeon doesn't appear so dark, and I may just trade in my cobwebs for a fine net curtain.

To all those who pick up a copy to read, I really hope you enjoy it. I will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have, but please try and steer away from any enquiries relating to Algebra ... I'm very rusty.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yay, Cornelius! I was hoping you'd drop in!

Exciting isn't it? I'm glad your book has been pushed to the top of my TBR!

message 22: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Got the latest version Patti? (It will enhance your reading experience!) And it's free.

message 23: by Cornelius (new)

Cornelius Harker | 829 comments Hi Patti. I'm tingling here. All the spiders that are usually my friends have all scuttled away and left me smiling. I'm also glad that it's been pushed to your TBR list.

message 24: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Nov 01, 2011 08:57AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yep, I do, Ignite. Thanks for asking. Got it a little bit ago. Amazon CS are tops.

I going to start it as soon as I've finished a bit of a project I'm working on. Couple days, I hope. Unless I can't resist peeking at the first few pages...

No! Bad Patti!

message 25: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Good Patti! Have a nana - oh no. You have a plethora!

message 26: by Cw (new)

Cw (confusedwombat) The shame :( It's been sat in my pile since the 8th April.

I am now trying to rationalise things and claim I saw that it would be a great book ... but really, I HAVE to read faster :)

message 27: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Do get the latest version Cw. Free to download and the instructions (though fairly easy and obvious to the non-techologically challenged) are above.
don't just read faster - read this FIRST!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Good to hear from you Cornelius. I was hoping you might pop along. Can you help me keep these women under control please?

message 29: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "Good to hear from you Cornelius. I was hoping you might pop along. Can you help me keep these women under control please?"

Sharp intake of breath!

message 30: by Cornelius (new)

Cornelius Harker | 829 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "Good to hear from you Cornelius. I was hoping you might pop along. Can you help me keep these women under control please?"

Ahem ... I wouldn't dare. Coat on, door open, taxi on the way.

message 31: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Cornelius wrote: "Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "Good to hear from you Cornelius. I was hoping you might pop along. Can you help me keep these women under control please?"

Ahem ... I wouldn't dare. Coat on, door open,..."

Such wisdom, from one so young!

Audrey (Seaholly) | 219 comments I have read this its a brilliant read. Good choice Ignite.

message 33: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I'm glad you enjoyed it Audrey. I hope you'll join me in the Discussion thread later in the month.

message 34: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I just bought it!!!

Just started Dd's book so I shall start this once I have finished that :o) Thanks Ignite!

message 35: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Good-oh Jud!

message 36: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Purchased this am.Hope to read it during my holiday next week. Thanks Ignite.

message 37: by Freddiesmum (new)

Freddiesmum | 137 comments 'you purchased this item on 27th May'.....why have I not read it yet?? it looks brilliant!!
Thanks for bringing it back to my attention, will read it next and review and everything!!

message 38: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Do ask for the update Freddiesmum. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I have.

message 39: by Freddiesmum (new)

Freddiesmum | 137 comments ok will do! thanks Ignite!

message 40: by Freddiesmum (new)

Freddiesmum | 137 comments have emailed as instructed,thanks for the idiots guide, I needed it!!

message 41: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I just started this morning over breakfast :o)

message 42: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I'm starting it again today Jud. It will be my 5th reading (I've only read book 2 three times. I'm slacking!)

message 43: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments you are ignite! pull that finger out and pull those socks up and sort yourself out, GET READING!

I missed tea break today might have to try and squeeze it in this afternoon or i'll miss out on a whole half hour of reading.

message 44: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I'm back from lunch and I am now 20 odd % of the way through. I love the way its written in a story teller type narration rather than as it is happening.

I'm really glad you picked this Ignite cause I don't think I would have read it otherwise.

message 45: by Jane (new)

Jane (beetlejane) | 82 comments Ignite wrote: "I chose this book because I think it's stunning; it has challenged and changed my concept of its genre. It really defies categorisation.
Dark, yes; Gothic; yes but also historical - it begins in ..."

After this description I am really looking forward to reading it. I did hum and hah a while ago about buying this but have now taken the plunge!

message 46: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Glad you're enjoying it Jud. Yes, the person to whom it is narrated fascinates me too. I've read Book 2 and I still can't guess his role in the overall story.

Glad you took the plunge Jane. I hope you are glad too, after my monumental build-up - but I meant every word.

Audrey (Seaholly) | 219 comments I think I might go back and read this again.......Yep I will.

message 48: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Oh good Audrey. Twice isn't much - compared to me!

message 49: by Cornelius (new)

Cornelius Harker | 829 comments Hello there. I thought it best to pop in and tell all those who are reading the book that I shall be on holiday from tomorrow for a glorious fun-filled week. I wouldn't want you to ask questions and then think me terribly rude for not answering. You might think I'm being pretentiously aloof, standoffish and poised in the shadows like a predatory hobgoblin. Although, I must admit, it would certainly give me the opportunity to try out my new 'predatory hobgoblin' costume.

I really hope you enjoy the book.

@Audrey: Hi Audrey, I'm glad you enjoyed it the first time round. Do make sure you email Amazon for the free updated version before you read it again.

Take care, everyone.

Cornelius

message 50: by Cornelius (last edited Nov 03, 2011 12:48PM) (new)

Cornelius Harker | 829 comments Ignite wrote: "Oh good Audrey. Twice isn't much - compared to me!"

You're catching up with me. I think I'd best go and read it again.

« previous 1 3