Lush Library discussion

Past Group Reads > White is for Witching - progress and non spoiler thread

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirkel) | 1160 comments Mod
Right guys - this is the thread for us to update on our progress. Generalisations but NO SPOILERS.

Please remember to add the book to your shelves and update your progress - it's nice to see who's joining in.

Sam (VanillaFountain) | 577 comments Mod
I found it slow going at first but now I'm really getting into it. Sometimes it's hard to tell who is narrating.

message 3: by Kirsty (new)

I think it's about to grip me at just over a third through:)

message 4: by Kirsty (new)

Amina wrote: "I am still waiting for it to arrive. I have ordered both books so I shall start the one that arrives first. I am so excited to take part in my first book with you guys *group hug*"

I'm excited to have you joining in *hug*

message 5: by Ness (new)

Ness (Violet74) | 209 comments Mod
I'm not far in but I'm loving the unusual prose and how it's narrated by different voices.

I don't quite know what's going on yet but it's all very intriguing ...

I agree Ness, I didn't think I would like this at all but it starts to get much better about a third of the way through. I do like how it's written though, very different to most things I've read. :)

message 7: by Kirsty (new)

reminds me slightly of the magic toyshop. It's not a heavy read but it does make me tired. It's quite a cold, matter of fact book.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (scheherazade) | 364 comments Mod
Kirsty wrote: "reminds me slightly of the magic toyshop. It's not a heavy read but it does make me tired. It's quite a cold, matter of fact book."

I only started reading this morning, but it reminds me of The Magic Toyshop, too. I didn't like that much, though, so I'm hoping that this picks up a little. I rather like it's narrative strangeness, though -- it's certainly keeping me on my toes :)

message 9: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Williams (missybsleeping) | 32 comments I'm getting a little confused but only a few pages in, so hoping it will flow better as I read more

Isn't strange that it's published by Picador? Maybe it's just me, found that odd and funny coincidence :)

message 11: by Ness (last edited Nov 13, 2011 04:45AM) (new)

Ness (Violet74) | 209 comments Mod
I think it's another book we could be divided on, like The Magic Toyshop (which I loved) but then I adore all Angela Carter's work.

I am drawn to strange narration. I find that this book flows more though than The Night Circus did at first ... but I think the writing here is a bit more clever. I've put that one on hold for a little while to read WifW ... I'll come back to it when I finish this one :)

message 12: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Williams (missybsleeping) | 32 comments I have finished the book, I finally got into it half way through and found it much easier to read. I quite enjoyed the story but am a little confused at parts

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Katrina wrote: "I have finished the book, I finally got into it half way through and found it much easier to read. I quite enjoyed the story but am a little confused at parts"

I think it had most of us a bit confused lol :)

I would've done the same Amina I took mine on a train journey so I HAD to read it or be really bored lol, but after a bit it got interesting :)

*kicks Amina up the bum and runs to hide* you'll get there honey I remember thinking it was a chore in the beginning but iit was worth it honest. Hehe x

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Amina wrote: "I try and open this book, read the first page and close it, I then read another book. What is wrong with me? *naughty bug*"

I was like that at first, too, but it really does get interesting. You'll see ;)

Oooh that one looks interesting Amina, must remember to look out for it, was it good?