*~Can't Stop Reading~* discussion

Don Quixote
This topic is about Don Quixote
1001 books > Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) Hope everyone enjoys this one!!! We are making a small but important dent into the 1001 books!!!

Let's discuss shall we!!!

message 2: by Hayley (new) - added it

Hayley Stewart (haybop) It took me ages just to get through all the notes at the beginning :O And it's over 3000 pages on my eReader!

Other than that I'm finding it more readable than I thought I would :)

message 3: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) 3000 pages??? I didn't know it was going to be that big....Ooooo e reader...lmao....I almost had a heart attack...I still haven't got a copy so hopefully it won't be that big!!!!

message 4: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha I am really excited about this! I read the first part of the book ages ago, but then never got back to finish it. Now I am debating whether to start from the beginning, or try to pick up where I left off....

message 5: by Hayley (new) - added it

Hayley Stewart (haybop) @Teri-lynn - yeah, it scared the heck outtame when I saw it to! The thing is the first 200 pages was an essay from the translator and then30 pages were author's notes -so I've really only just started :P

@Trisha - if I do that I end up trying to see how much I remember to see if it's worth rereading again.

message 6: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) I am picking up my copy tonight at the library....and it's not 300 pages, but it is 628....I may not be able to read Sarah's key this month....

message 7: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) Has anyone started yet?? How far are we in the book??? Don't forget to keep spoilers hidden!!!

Miss.terri | 186 comments I am going to start about mid-week this coming week. How about you?

message 9: by Hayley (new) - added it

Hayley Stewart (haybop) I'm going to carry on a bit more today - once I've written a review for the last book (... and done the housework, grocery shopping, etc... blech!)

message 10: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) Hate when life gets in the way of reading...I am hoping that I will finish my other book today and get started tonight!!!

message 11: by Hayley (new) - added it

Hayley Stewart (haybop) I can't help but feel sorry for this man - he really was one born in the wrong time (from what I can tell of reading it so far anyway).

@Teri-lynn - Why must such small things get in the way of my reading - it's just not fair :(

message 12: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) @Haley...I have the same problem...it's not fair I know...I wish that sometimes the world would just stop and let me just read!!!!

message 13: by Hayley (new) - added it

Hayley Stewart (haybop) I think maybe we all need a panic room - but just rename it (and redecorate it) as a reading room instead ;D

Miss.terri | 186 comments Hayley wrote: "I think maybe we all need a panic room - but just rename it (and redecorate it) as a reading room instead ;D"

That has my vote! Wonderful comfy chair and lovely sofa to streach out.

Miss.terri | 186 comments I read the first ten pages to start but won't be able to do anymore due to the afore stated housework.

message 16: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) So....I have just started...a friend of mine told me that I am going to love it!!! How about not having a 1001 book to read in december, and that way we can just take our time...this is a really big book that I will spread it out over 2 months.

message 17: by Miss.terri (last edited Nov 08, 2011 01:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miss.terri | 186 comments That sounds good to me. December is usually a very busy time anyway.

I have been doing some late night reading.....I have to say whoever told you that you would love this book is right!!!

O M G! I have been laughing out loud. The writer has a sense of humor; in addition, there are some differences between the vernaculars of centuries that set up another sort of humor.

We are going to enjoy this book!

message 18: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) I think so...I laughed so hard when he just decided to become a night because he read about it and thought it would be fun....Just wondering...where does he think he is going to find a Giant anyway???

message 19: by Hayley (new) - added it

Hayley Stewart (haybop) I'm just near the end of Chapter VI and find this writing to also be quite humourous! This book so far is brilliant, and poor old Quixote - he's like an old uncle I just want to keep happy!

message 20: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) I love that he called the Wenches Virgins....I laughed so hard at that...I could just see the looks on their faces!!!!!

Miss.terri | 186 comments It cracked me up with the "activities" the night at the castle/Inn.

message 22: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) Man...glad I wasn't the one who watered his horse!!!!

I would have loved to have been the group of people when his horse stumbled and he fell of the horse...Oh my...this poor man has no luck what so ever!!!

message 23: by Hayley (new) - added it

Hayley Stewart (haybop) I'm actually more addicted to reading through this than I am to continue reading Jo Nesbo's book - and that's a good book :O But this one just intrigues me more!

message 24: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) Yes I agree it is very intriguing...I am now on chapter 5.

Does anyone have any questions so far about it??

message 25: by Hayley (new) - added it

Hayley Stewart (haybop) Not a question from my p.o.v but is anyone having difficulty with the style of writing?

It adds to the atmosphere and such but I do feel anyone who hasn't read anything like this before may have issues keeping with it, especially when the characters go off on those long speeches they so love.

message 26: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) I am stuck on page 32 in the book and I just can't get any further....I am finding it very hard to understand...I think I may have to put it down for a while, I am getting very frustrated with it

message 27: by Hayley (new) - added it

Hayley Stewart (haybop) Teri-lynn wrote: "I am stuck on page 32 in the book and I just can't get any further....I am finding it very hard to understand...I think I may have to put it down for a while, I am getting very frustrated with it"

What you got stuck on hun - spoiler cover it if you need to - I'm on Chapter XV so maybe could help?

message 28: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) the language is so hard to understand and it is very boring at times and I just can't keep focused on it...I am going to see if I can find a study guide on line to help me out...maybe it will give me an over view of the chapter to help me out a little...it is very enjoyable...

message 29: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) I guess I wasn't as bad as I though!!! I found cliff notes on line for the book and I did understand it alright...I am glad that cliff notes are out there for us!!! If anyone else is having problems please check out Don Quixote cliff notes!!!

message 30: by Hayley (new) - added it

Hayley Stewart (haybop) Glad you found cliff notes! I think I paid more attention in my english classes than I realised - it seems this language doesn't bother me as much anymore (I blame Shakespeare ;P).

Is there a link you can post for the cliff notes you found for anyone else to look at?

message 31: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) All I did was type in Don Quixote cliff notes into my search bar and it took me right there...I don't know how to add a link...but I can try

message 33: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) Yea!!!! I did it!!!! My Hubby gets the credit for this!!! All I had to do was copy and paste...Who knew!!! Obviously everyone but me...tee heee!!!!

Miss.terri | 186 comments Teri-lynn wrote: "Yea!!!! I did it!!!! My Hubby gets the credit for this!!! All I had to do was copy and paste...Who knew!!! Obviously everyone but me...tee heee!!!!"

lol! Welcome to my world!

message 35: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) hahahaha....Ok so I am back reading it!!!

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Hayley (new) - added it

Hayley Stewart (haybop) Teri-lynn wrote: "hahahaha....Ok so I am back reading it!!!

Oh I know, I couldn't believe it either!! Didn't have the effect that was hoped for though - suckers! I think slow, painful deaths may have been considered if it was me - not carried out, just considered!

(no spoilers, just mean teaser-ish sentence, mwuahaha!)

message 37: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) Then when they tried to convince him that (view spoiler)

message 38: by Hayley (new) - added it

Hayley Stewart (haybop) I thought that (view spoiler)

message 39: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) Yes they did....(view spoiler)

message 40: by Hayley (new) - added it

Hayley Stewart (haybop) Teri-lynn wrote: "Yes they did...."

Haha - I think that (view spoiler)

message 41: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha Is there any way to break up the discussion of this book into different threads? I would love to participate in the discussion, but I am not sure where everyone is and I don't want to give things away, but I also don't want to spoil it for myself by peeking at other people's spoilers to see where they are. I just thought it might be useful o have different threads since its such a long novel :-)

message 42: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) Well we could start writting down the Chapter at the top of our posts and that way we always know where the spoiler is and that way no one is reading things they shouldn't be

message 43: by Hayley (new) - added it

Hayley Stewart (haybop) So how's everyone doing with this one? This is taking some slogging through for me and I am now on pg 856 of 3564 (or something like that) must read more before christmas!

However, I am still in love with the writing and the humour :)

message 44: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) I had to put it down...I found it really starting to get annoying...I am going to pick it back up soon...Sorry about that, I just found it too whats the word I am looking for....blahhhh....I can't think this morning....I will get back to you when I figure it out!! LMAO

message 45: by Hayley (new) - added it

Hayley Stewart (haybop) Teri-lynn wrote: "I had to put it down...I found it really starting to get annoying...I am going to pick it back up soon...Sorry about that, I just found it too whats the word I am looking for....blahhhh....I can't ..."

haha, that's okay - I did put it down a few times for a break so I coudl read other books - and I'll be doing it again over christmas as I aim to read an Austen whilst I'm awol from the internet :D

It feels like it's going to turn into another one of those 'fallback' books where I'll just end up reading bits at a time and slowly get through it.

message 46: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) Yes we do add our review on here...and if you wanted to add a spoiler all you have to do is hide it!!! do YOU know how???

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) This book is such an old friend. In fact, as an Atheist, I have often had discussions with those who are believers in Christian mythology and other religions who want to insist there is a Jesus or there is a god and I tell them they remind me of Don Quixote who was equally sure that things existed and that he had seen and even spoken to them when in fact they did not exist and he had not really seen and heard things- he was just gullible and convinced himself that he had. There is a lot of humor in this book but has to feel sorry for those who spend their lives tilting at windmills and in believing things that are not true. This book is rich with lessons and there is a bittersweetness to it.

message 48: by Teri-lynn (new) - added it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) Hey Terri Lynn....I have started reading this again...much easier and not so overwhelming when it's on an ereader...Plus the english is new English and not the old style