The Next Best Book Club discussion

Angela's Shelf-A-Thon Challenge > Shelf-a-thon 10 !!!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 409 comments Object of the Game: To have read off the most shelves from the official list below.

Start: November 1, 2011
*Any book that you finish after this date can be used for this challenge.
End: January 31, 2012

1. To have read a book off a shelf, you must read a book that is found on that particular shelf. i.e. to have read a book off the classics shelf, you must read a book that is found on the "classics" shelf within the first page.
Here is how you find the page:
-Find the book you just read and click on it so you get to the original page. For example: Pride and Prejudice
-After you get to this page, look all the way to the right hand side and scroll down a little to find "See Top Shelves", click on it and you should get to this page which is a list of the most popular shelves for Pride and Prejudice. Now you mark off the shelves you you "touched" from our list of Shelf-a-Thon 9 shelves.

2. A single book may be found on several shelves however we will only count the first page of top shelves for this book. For example, you may find a book that has 148+ pages of shelves (such as Pride and Prejudice), but only count the first page.

3. You don’t have to read off the shelves in any particular order of shelves.

4. The name of shelves must MATCH EXACTLY to the shelf you are trying to count. No deviations are acceptable (check the spelling off the official list below). For example one shelf reads: 2008-books and another 2008-book or childrens or children-s.

5. It is permissible to read a book that is found on a shelf you've already counted. I may read 10 books that include the shelf "books-i-own". After you have found this shelf once, continue to check off the same shelf, but do not count it as an additional shelf. At the end of the round, report the shelf you hit the most.

6. Reporting:

All we want you to report on the thread is the number of books you've read and the number of shelves these books are found on. Do not report titles because that will give your competitors a strategic edge. I will be creating a another thread where people can post questions on where to find a shelf. So if someone is looking specifically for economics, they can ask other players where they found that shelf. Some of us would like to keep this a secret, as it may give the competitors who are trying to get the most shelves more of an advantage.

For example:
52 shelves
2 books

b. You must track the titles read and the shelves on your own. You can come up with your own method of tracking. I personally print the list and highlight the shelves I have hit, but someone out there may have made a excel spreadsheet, which can be requested by other players via email.

7.HOW DO I GET RID OF SHELVES I CAN'T TOUCH??
If you read a book with a certain amount of pages, you can cross off a shelf you are finding difficult to hit. If you cross off a shelf and later hit it, you cannot change your original shelf. You must choose another shelf to cross off.
* 400 pages - Mark off 1 extra shelf of your choice
* Over 500 pages - Mark off 2 extra shelves of your choice
* Over 600 pages - Mark off 3 extra shelves of your choice
* Over 700-1000 and over pages - Mark off 4 extra shelves of your choice
(Please include this in your reporting)
For example:
216 shelves
23 books
Book over 400 pages crossed off so and so shelf.

8.At the end of the first month, the top three shelvers will be allowed to cross off 3 shelves. I will also randomly (names out of a hat) pick 3 people to cross off 2 shelves of their choice. At the end of the second month, the shelvers with the biggest change in their number of shelves will be allowed to cross off 3 shelves. I will also do the 3 random shelvers thing again.

9.We will continue to celebrate GR authors, so if you read a book by a Goodreads author, you can eliminate one shelf.

9. Objective
The "winner" is one who has either read off all 350 shelves noted on the official list or who has read the most off these 350 shelves by the end date, January 31st.

*Also, please post the shelf you 'touched' the most at the end of the challenge.

**This is still Angela's challenge, I'm just trying to keep it going until she's ready to take charge again. Hope it is smooth-ish sailing. - Adrienne

message 2: by Lolita (new)

Lolita (lillo) | 20 comments are there new shelves this time? or once we are erasing?

message 3: by Think (new)

Think | 332 comments Yeah, can we use the same spreadsheet as last time?

message 4: by Adrienne (last edited Nov 01, 2011 07:30PM) (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 409 comments Sorry, nope. I do finally have the new shelf list available. And here it is:

2000s
2008-reads
2009-reads
2010-books
2010-read
2010-reads
2011-books
2011-read
2011-reads
20th-century
21st-century
3-stars
4-stars
5-stars
abandoned
academic
action
action-adventure
adult
adult-fiction
adventure
all-time-favorites
america
american
american-history
and
animals
anthologies
anthology
anthropology
arc
art
at-library
audio
audio-book
audio-books
audiobook
audiobooks
autobiography
biographies
biography
biography-memoir
book
book-club
bookclub
books
books-i-own
books-i-own-to-read
books-i-want
books-owned
books-read-in-2010
books-read-in-2011
books-to-buy
books-we-own
bookshelf
borrowed
bought
british
business
calibre
chick-lit
chicklit
childhood
childhood-favorites
children
children-s
children-s-books
children-s-lit
children-s-literature
childrens
childrens-books
childrens-fiction
childrens-lit
childrens-picture-books
childrensbooks
christian
christian-fiction
christianity
classic
classics
collection
college
comedy
comic
comics
coming-of-age
contemporary
contemporary-fiction
contemporary-romance
cookbooks
cooking
couldn-t-finish
crime
culture
detective
did-not-finish
didn-t-finish
dnf
do-not-own
don-t-own
drama
e-book
e-books
ebook
ebooks
ebooks-i-own
economics
education
england
english
erotic-romance
erotica
essays
europe
family
fantasy
fantasy-sci-fi
faves
favorite
favorite-authors
favorite-books
favorites
favourites
feminism
fiction
film
finished
first-reads
food
for-review
for-school
french
friendship
fun
funny
gay
general
general-fiction
german
glbt
graphic
graphic-novel
graphic-novels
guilty-pleasures
hardcover
harlequin
have
health
high-school
historical
historical-fiction
historical-romance
history
home
home-library
horror
humor
humour
i-own
i-own-it
in-english
in-my-library
indonesian
inspirational
juvenile
juvenile-fiction
keepers
kids
kids-books
kindle
kindle-books
language
library
library-book
library-books
lit
literary
literary-fiction
literature
love
m-f
m-m
magic
manga
maybe
maybe-to-read
memoir
memoirs
middle-grade
might-read
military
mine
mm
modern
music
must-read
my-books
my-favorites
my-library
mysteries
mystery
mystery-suspense
mystery-thriller
mythology
nature
need-to-buy
need-to-get
never-finished
non-fiction
non-nook-ebk
nonfiction
nook
not-at-library
not-owned
not-read
novel
novels
on-hold
on-kindle
on-my-bookshelf
other
own
own-a-copy
own-it
own-not-read
own-to-read
owned
owned-books
owned-copy
paperback
paranormal
paranormal-romance
parenting
part-of-a-series
partially-read
pdf
personal-library
philosophy
photography
picture-book
picture-books
picturebooks
poetry
political
politics
print
psychology
public-library
re-read
read-2008
read-2009
read-2010
read-2011
read-in-2007
read-in-2008
read-in-2009
read-in-2010
read-in-2011
read-more-than-once
realistic-fiction
recommended
reference
relationships
religion
religious
reread
review
reviewed
romance
school
sci-fi
sci-fi-fantasy
science
science-fiction
science-fiction-fantasy
scifi
scifi-fantasy
second-hand-bookshop-wishlist
self-help
series
sf
sf-fantasy
short
short-stories
short-story
signed
sociology
speculative-fiction
spiritual
spirituality
sports
stories
supernatural
suspense
tbr
teen
teen-fiction
textbooks
theology
theory
thriller
thrillers
to-acquire
to-buy
to-get
to-purchase
to-re-read
to-read-fiction
to-read-non-fiction
to-read-own
to-reread
to-review
travel
unfinished
unowned
unread
unsorted
urban-fantasy
vampires
want
want-to-buy
want-to-own
want-to-read
wanted
war
warehouse
we-own
western
wish-list
wishlist
women
writing
ya
ya-books
ya-fiction
young
young-adult
young-adult-fiction
youngadult
youth

Go to town!!!

message 5: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 409 comments Yes, that is a "1" on the first shelf. No, have no idea what that means or why there are more that 6,000 books on a shelf marked "1". Maybe you can tell me.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 616 comments here is the link if anyone needs it - https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4wg...

there is no preview but in the upper right hand corner there is a download link

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 616 comments according to the shelf there are 6313 books on "1" but I couldn't figure out rhyme or reason to the books on it

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 202 comments Dee wrote: "according to the shelf there are 6313 books on "1" but I couldn't figure out rhyme or reason to the books on it"

well, shelves are completely subjective. So, someone might set up a shelf called "1" for books they think are top books they've read, or books that they plan to read as #1 priorities, etc. These aren't anything official - just shelves that people set up for themselves. And, if lots of people set up a shelf with the same name, then you'll get a GR shelf with lots of books on it, even if people are using it to mean different things.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 616 comments oh I know that, but most of them you can see some kind of pattern or something and I didn't with '1'

message 10: by Marla (new)

Marla | 158 comments The pressing question is...does anyone here have a 1 shelf? Not me and I have quite a few.

Not playing 'cuz I've just got too much going on, but it's been a fun year! I will miss you and thanks for all the organizing!

message 11: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 409 comments Marla, pressing question indeed.

We will miss you, but you're welcome to come back and check in on us occasionally!

message 12: by Marla (new)

Marla | 158 comments Thanks so much for the invitation...I surely will!

message 13: by Kristina Marie (new)

Kristina Marie This round I am trying to figure out the best way to keep track of my shelves that isn't so time consuming. I think I am just going to go with the paper method and not keep a tally of which books hit which shelves. Hopefully I'll have something to report this week. This challenge is just too fun to pass up!

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 616 comments looking forward to trying this again with SAT11 ;) soon

message 15: by Lolita (new)

Lolita (lillo) | 20 comments Is anyone done ng this challenge anymore?
In a new group or new thread ?

message 16: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) Lolita wrote: "Is anyone done ng this challenge anymore?
In a new group or new thread ?"

I wish someone would