Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Welcome to Koontzland! > You know you've been reading too much Koontz when...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 273 (273 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 177 comments 1. You think random people driving behind you are going to follow you home and shoot you.

2. You watch the sky for government satellites and hope their cameras are pointed the other way when you go outside to take out the trash (or just go outside, period).

3. You hear an Elvis song and immediately think of a clairvoyant fry-cook who has an odd name.

4. You touch a sleeping dog to see if you can really sense the presence of God in its dreams; or you've at least considered doing it.

5. You know what a bougainvillea is even though you have never seen or touched one; and even though you're really not sure how "bougainvillea" is pronounced.

6. You think that everyone in California drives a Ford Explorer.

7. You hold a strange fondness for Hawaiian shirts and think of a man with a funny hairdo whenever you see one.

8. You want to know what a bodach is and have been waiting for eight years to find out.

9. You close your blinds so the rhesus monkeys can't peek in at you.

10. You know what "ululate," "susurration," and "preternatural" mean.

Add your own!

message 2: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 6057 comments Mod
You are funny J.S. Thanks for adding this fun game to the group :-) Hope someone else will join in.

message 3: by Amy S (new)

Amy S (amys_r) | 60 comments I like this!
How about when you need a new book you once again check to see if there is one of his books you have overlooked for the umpteenth time!

message 4: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

If your favorite snacks are Hershey Bars and Slim Jims.
If your ideal dog is a Golden Retriever with above average intelligence.
If you have gotten tattoos based on Koontz novels and still plan to get more of them.
If having a first name of ODD doesn't seem odd to you.

message 5: by Marina (new)

Marina Fontaine (marina_fontaine) | 103 comments .... When you surf for a long time, you feel the need to walk away for a while to prove you are not becoming a regressive.

message 6: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Nov 03, 2011 12:38AM) (new)

....If you become Breathless and suddenly get Night Chills at Odd Hours on The Darkest Evening of the Year.

....If you travel Strange Highways By The Light of the Moon.

....If you hear The Voice of the Night at Darkfall.

....If you see a doll and think it's really some kind of evil demon out to get you.

....If you have an evil twin stalking you.

....If a serious topic mentioning "Life Expectancy" comes up in conversation and you immediately think of Clowns and flying trapeze artists.

....If you have tried to locate the towns of Rainbow Falls, MT. Snow Village, CO , Moonlight Bay etc.

message 7: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 177 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "....If you become Breathless and suddenly get Night Chills at Odd Hours on The Darkest Evening of the Year.

....If you travel Strange Highways By The Light of the Moon.

....If you hear The Voice ..."

I love it!

message 8: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments ...you are constantly quoting The Book of Counted Sorrows
...you spontaneously drop whatever you are doing, say "lifeline," and run off
...you don't take an umbrella when it's raining, because you'll plan to just walk between the rain drops

message 9: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "...you are constantly quoting The Book of Counted Sorrows

In the real world
as in dreams,
nothing is quite
what it seems.
-The Book of Counted Sorrows

message 10: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "...you are constantly quoting The Book of Counted Sorrows
...you spontaneously drop whatever you are doing, say "lifeline," and run off
...you don't take an umbrella when it's raining, because you'..."

Well, I can tell which are your favorite Dean Koontz books by the things you referenced: From the Corner of His Eye, Cold Fire and every other Dean Koontz book which has a quote from The Book of Counted Sorrows :-)

message 11: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine You try playing scrabble with your pets.

You think cockroaches are whispering.

Hope old blue eyes will come back from the dead to take a swing at a jerk for you.

Try to kiss yourself in the mirror.

message 12: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine Got me.

message 13: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 177 comments You see a raccoon out in your yard and you fly into a blind panic.

message 14: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

J. S. wrote: "You see a raccoon out in your yard and you fly into a blind panic."

What book is this referencing? Winter Moon? Breathless?

message 15: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "...you are constantly quoting The Book of Counted Sorrows..."

Whiskers of the cat,
webbed toes on my swimming dog:
God is in details.
- THE BOOK OF COUNTED SORROWS

message 16: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 177 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "J. S. wrote: "You see a raccoon out in your yard and you fly into a blind panic."

What book is this referencing? Winter Moon? Breathless?"

Yep, it's Winter Moon. I'm reading it right now.

message 17: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

J. S. wrote: "Yep, it's Winter Moon. I'm reading it right now. "

Winter Moon is a good one. It's not one of my top favorites but it's well-written and I liked the story. Jason (co-moderator in Koontzland) highly recommended it & I'm glad I gave it a try :-)

message 18: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Alex wrote: "...you start wearing Hawaiian shirts."

I bought two Hawaiian shirts at the beginning of summer this year. I think I am reading too much Dean Koontz. I have never bought a Hawaiian shirt before. I am Koontz Crazy.

message 19: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Really, you just said "Lifeline" in the middle of a lecture and walked out?

message 20: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 177 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "J. S. wrote: "Yep, it's Winter Moon. I'm reading it right now. "

Winter Moon is a good one. It's not one of my top favorites but it's well-written and I liked the story. Jason (co-moderator in Koo..."

I'm over halfway through it, and I'm enjoying it so far. It just might make me develop a fear of Montana, though. Fortunately, I have never been there. ;)

message 21: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "...you are constantly quoting The Book of Counted Sorrows...."

Rush headlong and hard at life
Or just sit at home and wait.
All things good and all the wrong
Will come right to you: it's fate.

Hear the music, dance if you can.
Dress in rags or wear your jewels.
Drink your choice, nurse your fear
In this old honkytonk of fools.

message 22: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Montana is Big Sky Country. It's where people go if they really want to go to Alaska to get away from civilization but can't quite make it. Usually married men end up there because they can't convince their wives to go all the way to Alaska. I lived in Montana for a year and a half. The Western side like Kalispell and Missoula is much nicer than the Eastern side where Billings is. You should visit Montana if you get the chance :-)

message 23: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Alex wrote: "Some guy thought I was weird the rest of the semester though....Well, I am...sort of. I'm incredibly ordinary actually. "

Well, I would say in cases like this you should give a copy of Cold Fire to this guy but if you're a student, you probably can't afford to give books to everyone who thinks you are weird, so next time just slip the person a note that says "Cold Fire by Dean Koontz". They will be so intrigued that they will figure it out :-)

message 24: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

"Lifeline" is mentioned in the first scene of the book when Jim Ironheart is at the grocery store.

Well you never know... Koontz attracts all kinds :-)

message 25: by Jaice (last edited Nov 30, 2011 10:26AM) (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Alex wrote: "...hmmm say "lifeline" to get out of a long lecture about evolution of the universe..."

Why would you even want to get out of a lecture about the evolution of the universe? :-)

message 26: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Well Cold Fire and Intensity do both have Spiders in them so I can see how you got them confused :-)

Alex, this has been so much fun in Koontzland today. This don't happen very often that we have the chance to chat like this :-)

message 27: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Watch out for Jason.... I don't know if he is a horrible speaker because I have never been in one of his lectures, but he is probably more entertaining because he reads Dean Koontz. However I don't think the "Lifeline" thing will work on Jason because he uses that tactic himself.

message 28: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Alex wrote: "Once again Koontz is to blame for my procrastination. :]"

That's right. It wasn't me, It was Dean Koontz.

message 29: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Watch out for Jason.... I don't know if he is a horrible speaker because I have never been in one of his lectures, but he is probably more entertaining because he reads Dean Koontz. However I don't think the "Lifeline" thing will work on Jason because he uses that tactic himself."

Actually, I probably wouldn't mind if a student did that, because I would be too impressed with him/her and proud of myself for having gotten the reference. :-)

message 30: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Well that's good to know if I ever find myself in one of your lectures :-) How are you doing btw? I am reading 77 Shadow Street!

message 31: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "...you are constantly quoting The Book of Counted Sorrows..."

Winter that year was strange and gray.
The damp wind smelled of Apocalypse,
and morning skies had a peculiar way
of slipping cat-quick into midnight.

message 32: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

....you quote from the authors Martin Stillwater and Laura Shane.
....you quote from This Momentous Day, a sermon by the Reverend H.R. White.
....you search for a book called The Black Windmill by Arthur J. Willott

message 33: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Alex wrote: "Oh, are you a prof, Jason?..."

Only on occasion. Most of my time is spent doing nefarious scientific research of the variety Koontz often describes. ;-)

message 34: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "Most of my time is spent doing nefarious scientific research of the variety Koontz often describes. ;-)"

I had to look that word up. It means wicked or criminal. Please enlighten us Jason, what "nefarious" scientific activities have you done lately?

message 35: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Please enlighten us Jason, what "nefarious" scientific activities have you done lately?..."

I recently submitted an abstract to an international conference on a visual language fMRI study of increased attention during reading in autism spectrum conditions. See, I told you--very nefarious. ;-)

message 36: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Alex wrote: "I would so dig a prof who's a Dean Koontz reader and does that sort of research. I never would have one like that though because I'm an English and Psych major. No scientific stuff like that for me."

You never know--one of my degrees is in psychology. :-D

message 37: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Life is an unrelenting comedy.
Therein lies the tragedy of it.
- MARTIN STILLWATER

message 38: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Now take my hand and hold it tight.
I will not fail you here tonight,
For failing you, I fail myself
And place my soul upon a shelf
In Hell's library without light.
I will not fail you here tonight.

message 39: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Alex wrote: "Lol, you got the constantly part down. ;]"

Thank You!!!! Been waiting for someone to mention it. :-) I think Jason is purposefully ignoring my Counted Sorrows quotes. Don't worry I ain't done yet.

message 40: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Each smallest act of kindness reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.
-This Momentous Day, H.R. White

message 41: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

That Momentous Day quote is from one of Jason's favorite books called From the Corner of His Eye. I was seeing if that might lure him into commenting :-)

message 42: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Seems like you're yelling at him. That's a good tactic too. He may be busy doing a science project or lecturing.

message 43: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "...I think Jason is purposefully ignoring my Counted Sorrows quotes...."

You know me too well. :-)

message 44: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "That Momentous Day quote is from one of Jason's favorite books called From the Corner of His Eye. I was seeing if that might lure him into commenting :-)"

Nope. :-P

message 45: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

"Nope" with a funny face is a comment so we have succeeded to an extent. Jason will be happy to rave about From the Corner of His Eye. You can read his review - he just talks about the book all the time and Yes, I'd say it's quite good.

message 46: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Alex wrote: "A nefarious science project. That's what he's probably doing. Is From the Corner of His Eye any good? Han read it and liked it but she has strange tastes in books and I never listen to her."

Nefarious indeed, as I'm now preparing for the weekly support group for parents of young children with autism that I run at the university. Mwahahahaha! While From the Corner is my favorite Koontz book, Maciek hates it, while Dustin finds it mediocre, so the feelings toward it vary around here. Read it and form your own opinion once you get the time and motivation to do so.

message 47: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: ""Nope" with a funny face is a comment so we have succeeded to an extent...."

Yes, that was intentional. :-)

message 48: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Good Luck with your support group. That is awesome!

message 49: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Check it out. Add it to your to-read list.
From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz

message 50: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I would say it's better than Mediocre but slightly less than Amazing. I gave it 4 stars :-)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6