Outlander Series discussion

How To?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leea, Escape Artist (last edited Jul 19, 2013 09:18PM) (new)

Leea | 1239 comments

Most groups have this folder for those who just don't know how to post a picture, hide something with a spoiler tag or post a book. I know it took me awhile to learn all this so here a few helpful hints. Please feel free to add what you find helpful :)

*Note these images are for this site only, please do not copy and past them into another - Thank you!

All of these can also be found by clicking on the (some html is okay) tab in the top right of the comment box.

How do I make a spoiler tag:

In order to read a spoiler tag, just click on it
(view spoiler)

Post a link to book:

Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon

or

Outlander

In the comment box there is an 'add book/author' button, click on that and you can either have a link (text) to the book or the book cover (image) depending on what you choose. You can also add a link to an author, just type in the authors name.

Post a picture:

Put your own picture link in between the quotation marks. You can also find this image link by clicking on the (some html is ok) above the comment box.

How do I make my text look different:

How do I post a link to another site or group:

Outlander Series - Group

Happy Reading and Posting...

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina | 162 comments This is great. I was just writing on a post and couldn't remember how to hide a spoiler.

Thanks Leea!!!

message 3: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments You're most welcome Tina.

message 4: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments I've wanted to post pictures - but everyone said I had to go through photobucket. Thanks Leea!

message 5: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments If you right click on any web picture you can go down to properties and it'll give you the pictures URL, that makes it easy to add pictures in your posts.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i use picasa as a base sometimes as well...and they have a link to the picture that you can just paste into the text book

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara (saragr) | 96 comments Oh cool, I didn't know about the goodreads link for pics. I also thought you had to use photobucket or something similar.

message 8: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Who says you cant learn something new :) Yay!!

message 9: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments I know that some of you don't have a picture/avatar set to your profile. This is my gentle *nudge* to have you add one. For several reasons:
1. it's just fun! Plus we all would love to know a little more about you.
2. Here in the GoodReads community, if you don't have a picture/avatar people sometimes think you are spamming or just here to network. I know this is not the case for most of you :)
3. It's so easy...

Here is how to add a picture/avatar to your profile:

First you must have the picture/avatar saved to your computer. This can be anything from something you got on the internet to a picture of your bookshelf or nightstand. Anything goes...

Go to your profile page, on the left hand side click on 'more photos/add photos.' That will take you to your photos page. Then click on 'add more photos' on the top right of the screen. This will bring you to the page where you upload that picture/avatar from your computer. Click on 'Choose File', select the picture/avatar you would like to use from your computer and then click 'upload' it's that easy!!

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 345 comments Where on earth do you find these beautiful pics, Leea?! That fairy/butterfly/book is gorgeous!! And the Highlander or Knight and his horse...*sigh*...thoughts of Jamie...must be the red hair? Excellent instructions - thanks!

message 11: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments Psstt.. Leah... I totally want the butterfly book.

message 12: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments It's yours :)

I just searched 'book' and clicked 'images'

Lisa, thank you! I just searched 'Outlander' and clicked images :)

It's always fun to mix up the avatars.

message 13: by Auntchata (new)

Auntchata | 26 comments Ok how come on status update where you can put what page you are on it always shows different # pages in the book I am reading? Example I am reading Into the Wilderness says 978 and my Nook says 758.

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1360 comments When y ou chose the book for your status did you choose the e version? The print version has different numbers.

message 15: by Auntchata (new)

Auntchata | 26 comments how do you choose eversion

message 16: by CHC94 (new)

CHC94 | 44 comments How do you read the spoilers? I've read all the Outlander books so there is no spoiling... more like memory refreshing. :-)

message 17: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments click on them. If you see this, (view spoiler).

message 18: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Clearly I need to update this...

message 19: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments lol, Stacia made those pictures, I bet she wouldn't mind if we borrowed them.

message 20: by Leea, Escape Artist (last edited Jan 20, 2013 10:15AM) (new)

Leea | 1239 comments That's what i'm going to do. haha!! It's fixed!!

message 21: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments perfect. :)

message 22: by Keely (new)

Keely | 7 comments Found it!! Thank you so much!

message 23: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Johnson How can I see what I've posted before in a group?

message 24: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments If you hover your mouse over your name in the group, you'll see a comment total. Like right now I see that in this group you've only posted one comment. There is also a link that says 'comment history'.

message 25: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Johnson Thank you!

Wendy F wrote: "If you hover your mouse over your name in the group, you'll see a comment total. Like right now I see that in this group you've only posted one comment. There is also a link that says 'comment hi..."

Wendy F wrote: "If you hover your mouse over your name in the group, you'll see a comment total. Like right now I see that in this group you've only posted one comment. There is also a link that says 'comment hi..."

message 26: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Wendy, the message you received was a general group message.

message 27: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Brown | 40 comments How does the (new) get posted by one's name?

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments its just an idication for a new post since you last read the thread

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 27 comments Love the books and the series!

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura (saltrams) | 26 comments This seems the most appropriate thread for two questions that I just know people are going to be amazed at my stupidity about but I've Googled and tried to guess the meanings by context but I just can't get it! Here goes...
1) What does it mean when Diana Gabaldon keeps putting in her comments; and
2) What is MOBY ?

message 31: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I'm not sure about your first question.

BUT, your second question, MOBY is Written In My Own Hearts Blood. She shortened it to MOHB. Then, because people were reading it phonetically it just became MOBY.

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura (saltrams) | 26 comments That was my best guess at MOBY but I dismissed it because it wasn't WMOHB!! I just take things too literally. Thank you :-)
As for the other question, I wrote what does < g > mean? But because it is also HTML, it fails to come out in text (grrr) and also in Google searches. Hence I can't find out what it means! (grrr again).

message 33: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Oh yeah, I definitely have no idea what means, lol. I've wondered myself.

message 34: by Rox (new)

Rox | 11 comments I could be wrong but I think it's her way of indicating a grin or giggle.

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (saltrams) | 26 comments Ah! Right, not sure I can see why she does that (and it must be hard to do because it is HTML and often won't appear on Web pages). Thank you for your insight though Ro... (Why can't I see your name? That isn't helpful!)

I have more questions :-)

How can I quote a previous post and the author in a thread? In many posts it starts with "Ethelbert wrote: "I really love Outlander..." And then there follows a relevant reply. I can't seem to work out how to do that, on my iPad in the App. Is it just a Website function?

message 36: by Rox (new)

Rox | 11 comments It's Rox, don't know why it did that

message 37: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments yep < g > is grin

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments as to copying the relevant part of a reply - i typically just highlight the whole post i want to quote in a reply, copy and paste it and then just keep the section i really wanted

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura (saltrams) | 26 comments Dee wrote: "as to copying the relevant part of a reply - i typically just highlight the whole post i want to quote in a reply, copy and paste it and then just keep the section i really wanted"

Thanks Dee: I have moved to my PC and I can see now that it is a Website function that isn't on the App.
In fact, I'm doing it right now with this reply!

message 40: by Keri (new)

Keri | 74 comments Does anyone know if spoiler tags can be added/removed using the mobile app?