You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Chit Chat About Books > I just don't get it.....

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments OK, please no one take this the wrong way :-), but what is the attraction with paranormal romance? I see that the top five (that's as far as I got) list for 2011 best books are all what I consider to be paranormal romance/YA paranormal romance.

I'm not a genre-snob by any means, but I just don't understand what's so appealing?

And if you can 'sell' me a book enough to get me interested, I promise I'll buy one and give it a whirl.

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47832 comments Personally, I think the attraction is the forbidden love aspect. Stephanie Meyers made reference to Romeo and Juliet in the book Twilight. What is more forbidden than a relationship between a vampire and a young woman?

Other writers were quick to grab onto the shirt tails of Meyer's success and take advantage of the young readers clamouring for more. It seems to have taken a life of its own.

My hope is that the fans of this genre will outgrow their interest in fluff and nonsense and begin to mature in their reading interests.

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Thanks Janice, I was also thinking along those lines. I think its great to find a genre you love and be able to find a lot of great books that give you immense enjoyment from reading them, but I also find it can be quite limiting.

I have a (not so) secret passion for the Zombie/Post Apocalyptic genre, but found myself getting rather obsessed by the whole thing and not reading anything outside that genre for some time.

And then over the weekend I read Elsewhere on a plane journey as I thought it would be something easy, and ended up really enjoying it whilst getting some very thought provoking and motivating thoughts about life and how we live it.

After all, variety is the spice of life and all that!

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Haha not at all Judy! I recently tried to re-read some books I obsessed over as a teenager and had to give up after the first few chapters as the magic really had gone!

But for example I've joined several book clubs and reading groups that I've given up on because every group read, challenge etc was full of books I have never had a desire to read, so I had absolutely nothing to contribute!

Maybe I'm just 'special' :)

message 5: by Maranda (new)

Maranda Russell I totally get what you guys are saying. As a children's/YA author, I find it really sad how most kids go for the fluff. Now, don't get me wrong I enjoy a good comedy or romance once in awhile, but it seems like many kids never delve deeper into more meaningful books. Hopefully they will when they get older like Judy did. I will say I know fluff sells so much better than deeper literature, but I want to write the heartwrenching, life-changing stuff...even if that means I won't get as many sales!

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber I'm going to be totally honest: when I want something to read that is brainless and quick, I'll grab a YA paranormal romance. But (sadly?) it's for those reasons only: it's quick and brainless. Sometimes I just need a break from the bigger, deep books that I'm in the middle of and they are perfect for that. But, I don't recommend them to anyone because they usually have no substance. They could definitely be considered a secret guilty pleasure.

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Judy wrote: "Yes, I understand perfectly what you are saying. Hang in there with YLTO, there are exciting things upcoming as far as our monthly reads are concerned. Beginning next year, they will accommodate mo..."

Ooooohhh I can't wait :) but to be fair, you guys do have a great range that appeals to all tastes already, hence why I felt brave enough to start this discussion :)

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Amber wrote: "I'm going to be totally honest: when I want something to read that is brainless and quick, I'll grab a YA paranormal romance. But (sadly?) it's for those reasons only: it's quick and brainless. S..."

I have those too Amber, my zombie and some PA novels are what I call my comfort reads - for when I'm ill, on a train/plane or on holiday where I'm easily distracted!

I guess it just makes me a little sad when I see whole challenge lists made up of the same genre and think of all the other excellent books that people are missing out on by restricting themselves.

Then again, maybe I'm just worried that I'm missing out on something great that everyone else knows about except me :)

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Judy wrote: "Kat, there is a wide range of reading done in this group. It makes it a great place to get recommendations. BTW, I'm glad you felt brave enough to start the discussion. Please don't hesitate to sta..."

It certainly is! That's why I'm scouting for recommendations instead of working like I'm supposed to be *giggles*

message 10: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments That's why my book friends and my work friends are seperate ;-) and I'm working from home, so I can totally justify it by saying I'm on a break...honest !

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47832 comments Judy wrote: "I wonder if that genre won't be a stepping stone for more mature reading. Speaking from experience, my teens and early 20s were spent devouring poorly-written romances, but once I got a taste for c..."

That was my experience too Judy.

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47832 comments Kat wrote: "That's why my book friends and my work friends are seperate ;-) and I'm working from home, so I can totally justify it by saying I'm on a break...honest !"

I do believe I've said that myself. :)

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate Z (kgordon3) | 144 comments What is YLTO?

message 14: by Kim (last edited Nov 13, 2011 11:30AM) (new)

Kim Galla (catmommie) Romance - ick. I don't mind the paranormal mysteries, however. Pretty much the only romance I read is romantic suspense. As a kid, I hit the ground running with Nancy Drew and never looked back. If I need fluff, I read a cozy mystery or possibly something contemporary.

message 15: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Amber wrote: "I'm going to be totally honest: when I want something to read that is brainless and quick, I'll grab a YA paranormal romance. But (sadly?) it's for those reasons only: it's quick and brainless. S..."

I agree. It is also a guilty pleasure for me.
I also pick up the YA Paranormal Romance because it takes me back to the good memories of being young without bringing on the 'What if's'. The stories are so completely unreal & extreme that it is very hard to intermix them with reality for me. I can put them down & still be content with the 'romance' that is there when real life is happening.

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Hmm I'm not much for the YA Paranormal Romance though I will read it...as for the regular Paranormal Romances...I've always loved them some are good some are bad but I love the genre just the same however I can't read too many too close together or else I get bored but with me the same can be said with any other genre.

message 17: by Kim (last edited Dec 12, 2011 05:28AM) (new)

Kim Galla (catmommie) Well, my pre-teen years were spent reading Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but I quickly progressed into Stephen King and other murder and mayhem. And yes, my mother knew, she bought me my first SK, Christine, as a stocking stuffer and I was hooked!

message 18: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 I love paranormal romances, but I read a wide range of genre as well as that genre. I guess it is the unrealality of the genre. There is so much angst in the world it's nice to read something that is not real.

I read a lot of mills and boons when I was a teen. Can't read them now, so paranormal romance is a step up :).

message 19: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Jan 20, 2012 02:24PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) My "in the box normal genre" is contemporary romance and has been for years...I liked it and got stuck there. Over the last few years I have been straying outside the box and dabbling in bios/auto bios which I never could get interested in as they were just boring to me. I also started reading historical fiction/christian historical fiction which is my mother's favorite genre. She likes anything set in the 1800's. So she started giving me books and I tried a few and liked them too. As far as paranormal romance, I am not really interested in them although I think I have a few on my TBR that I thought I would give a try just to see.I also tend to struggle with fiction/romances that have lords/ladies, earls, dukes etc but I am trying to get over that as well. I'm trying to broaden my horizions by at least trying new genres. Who knows I might find something else I like : )

message 20: by Dorottya (new)

Dorottya (dorottya_b) | 35 comments I think it mostly has to do with:
-people fed up by their human life, and they wanna get as far away from it as possible
-girls being fed up by average boys, and longing for someone mysterious
-the urge to read a romance, but they find normal romance books boring
-rebellion, forbidden love etc.

message 21: by Ladyhawk (last edited May 25, 2014 07:14PM) (new)

Ladyhawk | 11 comments I agree with what has been said about the YA paranormal reads! Been there, done that, not ashamed! But... Moving on to adult urban fantasy/paranormal reads. I am currently on a Harry Dresden binge! Loved Karen Monings fever series, Anita Blake and Cat and Bones!!!

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Romeo and Juliet (other topics)
Elsewhere (other topics)