BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Book Chat > Bookmarks

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (porterak) So I was curious if everyone else had a large collection of bookmarks like I do. I have close to 30 and I switch out with each book that I read. I have large, small, average size if there is such a thing. Pictures, saying and cartoons on them. I love them all! And it is fun to use a different one with each book. So I was wondering if anyone uses bookmarks and if they do what are they like? And if you don't use bookmarks then how do you keep your place in the book that you are reading?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol Bro (cjbro) | 34 comments Last week I used a dollar bill as a bookmark! I've used napkins, Sweet n Low packages, register receipts and Panera napkins. But, yes, I also have a collection of bookmarks - they're just never around when I need them. I recently made one from ribbon and charms. It's my favorite. (Check out etsy.com - there are tons to choose from.)

message 3: by Nina (new)

Nina (marshnina) | 6 comments when I read real books I used whatever was available. Candy wrapper,kleenex, mail. I now have a nook and do not have to use bookmarks. :))

message 4: by Carol (last edited Oct 31, 2011 05:24PM) (new)

Carol Bro (cjbro) | 34 comments Nina - I almost made the same plug for my Kindle.
;-) Love that bookmark feature. But I still read paper books too.

CJ

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 42 comments I've got about 20 in total, although some I don't use because they've come in proper little presentation boxes and are just far too nice (and I don't want to risk losing them). I'm the same when choosing which bookmark to use, Amanda, the book will decide which one suits it best!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (porterak) Hey I like the idea of using playing cards. I have never thought or heard of that. Nice! And yes you have a bunch of opportunities to loose them.

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele | 3 comments I have an exceptional amount of bookmarks, primarily cheap printed ones that libraries give away, or promotional ones from new books. I also have some nicer ones. The only bookmarks I do not really like are metal ones--they are too heavy and do not stay in the book. However, I find that more often than not I wind up using whatever little scrap of paper I have available at the time: sticky notes, bits of mail, cough drop wrappers!

message 8: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
I seem to use scrap paper that has writing on one side or a business card. Writing on one side is very important so you know the direction of the page you were on.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm terrible. I fold pages or postit note. I have bookmarks somewhere, but they always fall out during transit and I can never find it when I want it. Studying literature means that I now keep packs of mini-tab postits with me everywhere I go, so i use these now but if I can't get at them, then i'll fold tops of pages for where i'm at, bottom of pages for 'there is a note on that page' etc.. Once i've read a book, you know it, but I have no intention of ever giving them away so I guess that is okay?

When I switch it up with e-books, I love the bookmark feature.

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kshelley83) | 17 comments I use anything I can find. Used bus transfers are a favorite. Once I found a five dollar bill someone had used as a bookmark in a library book (that was a pretty awesome day, $5 I didn't have AND something good to read).

I too love the bookmark feature on my kindle when I use that. Also loving that it holds my place if I forget and that I can resume on my computer at work where I leave off on my kindle.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (porterak) Yes I just got a Kindle and I love the bookmark feature.

message 12: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
Kasi wrote: "I'm terrible...so i use these now but if I can't get at them, then i'll fold tops of pages for where i'm at, bottom of pages for 'there is a note on that page' etc.. ..."

O.o OMG you fold the corners... *walks away shaking head* "How could you?" Wes mumbles as he leaves the room not bothering to close the door behind him.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (porterak) Wes wrote: "Kasi wrote: "I'm terrible...so i use these now but if I can't get at them, then i'll fold tops of pages for where i'm at, bottom of pages for 'there is a note on that page' etc.. ..."

O.o OMG you..."

LOL

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (basketchik) | 5 comments well I must say that I have a rather large collection myself, but never use them, because I have a Nook and have no need for them now... Yet I'm still collecting them.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (porterak) Sharon wrote: "well I must say that I have a rather large collection myself, but never use them, because I have a Nook and have no need for them now... Yet I'm still collecting them."

I tend to do that too! :) They are so colorful and fun!