Disillusionists Re-read discussion

Mind Games (The Disillusionists, #1)
This topic is about Mind Games
Mind Games > Head start

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Eliza Brand (eliza_b) | 4 comments Since this is the first time I'm reading Mind Games, I decided to get a little head start. I started last night. I thought I'd read the first couple chapters to get a feel for the book. Big mistake, this book really sucked me in and I stayed up way too late. I love it so far. Justine is wonderfully neurotic.

"You know, even hypochondriacs die of horrible diseases. Sometime they even die of the horrible diseases they fear the most."

"People who grew up normal think it's something to be rejected. They're wrong. Normal is a precious kind of freedom, and if you don't have it, it's all you ever want."

Being a nurse I encounter people like Justine every day. The character rings very true. Carolyn Crane has done a wonderful job capturing the almost paralyzing cascade of fear and anxiety a true hypochondriac experiences. And the remorse and guilt they feel about it. Many of them would do almost anything to gain the peace that is offered to Justine.

I can't wait to read more.

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 31 comments Mod
Happy Reading, everyone! I'll be back later tnight to post my thoughts on day 1 of the re-read.

A little later than I hoped, but I'm here!

THere is something about re-reading where you remember the things that you enjoyed the first time around, the tiny tidbits that don't necessarily pop into your mind right away when you think back on the book, but really contribute to the overall satisfaction.

Right now my favorite: "A lot of men ridicule Sanchez's elegant suits and berets and his unconventional hair..." Made me laugh. I will get back to the why after more folks have read the book. Foreshadowing, that's all I have to say.

Eliza - characters with profound, debilitating mental illness are not usually the main characters in an urban fantasy (sure - some are really screwed up, but Justine & co have real psychological issues). The internal logic in her attacks rang true for me (no I'm not any kind of expert in the field, but it all felt very believable).

I can also see where it would be very hard to live with someone who frequently (daily) attacks.

I love the part where Justine gets to talk to the other disillusionists and they can indulge in their brand of crazy together, commiserating like "normal folks". So easy to see how anyone would be drawn to Packard's offer.

Eliza Brand (eliza_b) | 4 comments I finished the book over the weekend. Over all I liked it and I'm looking forward to the next book. I had some issues with Justine choices in the end. Specifically her interactions with Otto. They didn't feel right to me. My question is this, when a disillusionist "zings" a target I know the target feels a connection to the disillusionist, but does that connection go both ways? That might explain some of Justine actions towards the end of the book.

ELiza - you summed up one of my big probs too - I HATED Otto. I think that the connection can go both ways, and since she's already infatuated with him, it's pretty intense.

Def one of those where I cringe, knowing that Justine has not hit rock bottom yet.

Bastard | 4 comments I finished this the other day, though on the surface just not a book for me, I really enjoyed it. Too much love drama and sex for my tastes, but it's right now in the same level for me as Kara Gillian by Diana Rowland, which I also like plenty.

I don't have any preference towards any of the love interests. And I don't see why anyone would question Justine's attraction to Otto or why she would come to trust him.

And Eliza, remember that she didn't only "zing" Otto, she went inside him and connected with him the same way she connected with the rapist, in a way that she personally came to understand them completely identifying a sameness that's inside her too.

Bastard wrote: "I finished this the other day, though on the surface just not a book for me, I really enjoyed it. Too much love drama and sex for my tastes, but it's right now in the same level for me as Kara Gill..."

I didn't trust anyone by the end of this book (OK - maybe I trust Simon & Shelby to BE Simon & Shelby) but every other character has a lot more darkness in 'em, IMO. Sure, Otto SAYS that he just puts away the bad guys, but I never completely bought it.

Good point on how she didn't just "zing" Otto. I forgot about that distinction.

Bastard | 4 comments Oh, I don't trust anyone myself. It's quite clear that everyone is playing some sort of game. I just can't fault or really question Justine's action given what we know about her, and what she has experienced.

Agreed. If Cubby was her best shot at the normal life she craves, Otto is the freaking knight in shining armor. She is a believer that he is a force for good, truth, and crime fighting, and since she really wants to be a crimefighter herself, it's easy to see how easily she falls for him.

I just don't have to like it. ;) And I'm an emotional reader at times (OK - most of the time).

Bastard | 4 comments I just don't care one way or another in this series, since all the romantic interests are kinda in the same boat for me. At least they're not annoying characters.

Eliza Brand (eliza_b) | 4 comments Ha ha, Otto is a knight in shining beret and cape. That is not sexy. 0_o

I have been trying not to comment on the beret - but, yeah. I'm also remembering parts of book 2 (so I can't mention it right now for those who haven't gotten there yet).

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 16 comments I'm halfway through this one for the second time. There are a lot of things that I am picking up on this time through that I did not catch the first time. And I'm with whoever said previously that they don't trust any of them. Everyone has their own agenda. Can't wait to se how it all plays out!

Bastard | 4 comments Kindle-aholic wrote: "I have been trying not to comment on the beret - but, yeah. I'm also remembering parts of book 2 (so I can't mention it right now for those who haven't gotten there yet)."

Yes, let's stick with Mind Games discussion solely here for the time being.

As for a beret and cape thing, I'm just a different reader. I just don't picture it in a way that I'd have an opinion one way or another. I notice in various reviews for other series how people have come to hate a character by the way that character dresses, etc. and it's just something I don't give any thought to.

message 16: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (Kindlelove) | 16 comments The reason behind the beret is what's most important. And if you consider all the fashion possibilities for head gear for men, I think the beret is a perfect choice for Otto. I can't imagine him wearing a baseball hat or beanie instead. IMO. That might be an interesting question for Carolyn, why she chose the beret for him?

Sara wrote: "The reason behind the beret is what's most important. And if you consider all the fashion possibilities for head gear for men, I think the beret is a perfect choice for Otto. I can't imagine him we..."

Sara - you read my mind. :) Def one of my ques for the author.