Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Roundtable > Not Completely Off Topic

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I often felt the lack of a general discussion folder in our group, someplace to post a topic for discussion that wasn't completely off-topic, that might still be a thread about a fantasy series or author. So, I renamed an old empty folder (what was formerly known as 'Old threads') to the Roundtable folder.

Perhaps I'm completely out in left field and if so, the Roundtable will quietly become extra kindling for my infrequent winter fireplace combustion adventures.

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments LOL. Sounds good.

message 3: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments We all need that extra heat when it's cold out there. LOL!

I think it's a good idea too.

message 4: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Awesome idea!! Here's some fantasy news!!! Steven Erikson's has been finished his next book!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! Here's a link, oh and is that a sick cover or what!! I made it my screen saver!! :)

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Shelley wrote: "Awesome idea!! Here's some fantasy news!!! Steven Erikson's has been finished his next book!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! Here's a link, oh and is that a sick cover or what!! I made it my sc..."

Sick? It's certainly interesting. :)

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) So I am looking at my target for 50 books read in 2011 and realized that whilst I only made it to 47, I didn't factor in that I was going to tackle Malazan:book of the fallen in the back end of the year.
If your average novel (fantasy) is about 400 pages and 120,000 words, then Malazan books are worth 3 normal novels.

So 26,000 pages read @ 300 words per page = 7.8 million words / 120,000 words = 65 books.

Yeah! Made my target :)

message 7: by Traci (new)

Traci I'm making a personal list this year to count the pages read instead of just how many books. :)

message 8: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Lee wrote: "So I am looking at my target for 50 books read in 2011 and realized that whilst I only made it to 47, I didn't factor in that I was going to tackle Malazan:book of the fallen in the back end of the..."

Right on Lee!!!! I completely agree with you!!! One of SE books is like three of someone else's!! Not to mention the SE makes you THINK!!! :) Whoot 65 books for Lee this year!!!

message 9: by Helen (new)

Helen I read 2 books less than a friend but over 10,000 pages more. All the doorstopping fantasy.

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) I am quite pleased with myself going from Gardens of Moon to Toll of the hounds, plus 3 ICE books from June to Dec. I have had no idea what has been going on around me though?

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Risley (ElizabethRisley) | 228 comments Lee wrote: "So I am looking at my target for 50 books read in 2011 and realized that whilst I only made it to 47, I didn't factor in that I was going to tackle Malazan:book of the fallen in the back end of the..."

Sounds perfectly reasonable - congratz!

message 12: by Travis (new)

Travis | 11 comments As someone who has newly discovered GoodReads and this Group, I'm still playing around to see how it'll work for me. Here's a pretty random question. How do each of you access GoodReads? I was surfing on my iPad and found it via Safari. However, I found out that there is a GoodReads app. That's what I'm using right now. Is anyone else using the iOS app? If so, can you do the same stuff or are you able to do more with the sight using the website?

Thanks!
Travis

message 13: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Travis wrote: "As someone who has newly discovered GoodReads and this Group, I'm still playing around to see how it'll work for me. Here's a pretty random question. How do each of you access GoodReads? I was s..."

I access GoodReads from my laptop when I really want to be interactive (responding to messages and thread discussions).

I also access it via an app on my Nook Color. This is how I update my reading status (what page I'm on and any comments I want to post for later dissemination in my review). The NC app falls short though when compared to the functionality available via the web, so I switch to the mobile GoodReads site on my NC if I need more features and sometimes even go off the deep end and use the normal GoodReads site on the NC as well.

I don't own an iPad or an iPhone so I can't compare that app to what I see on my Nook Color.

Hope that helps,

Jon

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments The website is more versatile.

message 15: by Carolyn (last edited Mar 23, 2012 07:11AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) I have usually acessed GR through my pc, but if I go in through my iPhone, I stick with the regular Internet version, rather than the mobile app. I don't want to lose any functionality.

message 16: by Travis (new)

Travis | 11 comments Hey, I just saw that Pottermore has posted their Shop where you can buy Harry Potter eBooks and digital audio.

Interesting purchase method. Apparently, they have negotiated a way for the books to be purchased via Pottermore and then you "link" them to your preferred ebook account (I.e. Amazon, B&N, etc.). I am assuming only Harry Potter has the power to make these companies change their business policies this way.

Personally, I'm okay with it (especially since I saw the pricing and it doesn't look like we're going to be gouged).

Anyway, thought some of you may be interested.

Happy Reading,
Travis

message 17: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta Traci wrote: "I'm making a personal list this year to count the pages read instead of just how many books. :)"

Goodreads will track that for you, also.