Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Language & Translation Issues > Request for box "primary language"

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grada (BoekenTrol) (last edited Oct 31, 2011 11:27AM) (new)

Grada (BoekenTrol) (boekentrol) | 17 comments The long story of this request has been transported to the Feedback Group as was suggested by Paula. For reasons of clarity I only leave the request here.

To cut a long story short here's my request:
1. would it be possible to add a second box (again) for the language the book at hand is written in?
or, if that's not possible
2. would it be possible to rename the box into something like 'this edition's language?'

That way a lot of confusion would be avoided and (in my humble opinion) it would add (valuable) data to the registrations.

message 2: by Paula (last edited Oct 31, 2011 11:14AM) (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Hi

There is only one field for language called "Primary language" this relates to the specific edition of the work. Therefor it is the language of the edition that goes in that box.

In addition, the tool tip associated with the field describes that it should be the language the book is primarily written in, so if the book had 1 chapter in German but 6 in French the language would be set as French.

There is no where to add the original language and if you wish to request another field then that needs to go to the Feedback group - the Librarians do not have any control over that

Grada (BoekenTrol) (boekentrol) | 17 comments Paula wrote: "Hi

There is only one field for language called "Primary language" this relates to the specific edition of the work. Therefor it is the language of the edition that goes in that box.

There is no ..."

Thank you for the sugestion, Paula. I'll make the request in the feedback-group then. But I thought (language being discussed here in many ways) this might be the place.