Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Questions & Debate > Can reading a lot influence you to write?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kari Jennifer (new)

Kari Jennifer (karijennifer) | 20 comments I have friends and most of them like to read. Read and write. Being me, I loved reading all through my childhood. Reading is my second home. Now, I love to write as much as I love to read. However, some of my other friends are writers BUT NOT readers. Is that possible? Others are readers and not writers. What do you guys think?

message 2: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Reading and writing tend to go hand in hand, but you don't need to do one a lot to enjoy the other. Although the writing without reading a lot makes me scratch my head a little since almost all authors tell you that a big part of being an author is reading all the time.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I can't imagine liking to write without liking to read. If only for the fact that in order to write, you have to read your own manuscript tons of times, let alone the fact that that's how a lot of authors get their ideas, learn to write, see what works and what doesn't, etc.

I can, however, easily understand liking to read but not write, although I personally like both.

That Slytherin Girl Reads  (shereadsatnight) I really does. I just read the The Iron King recently and it inspired me to write a poem. I guess it is possible to be a good writer even if you are not much of a reader. For me writing comes from within you or sometimes having an inspiration. Your inspiration could be a book, a person, an event. It just really depends on the writer.

message 5: by Mayze (new)

Mayze I definitely am influenced by the books that I read. Even if it's not topics, seeing how characters develop/deal with conflict is always influential in my writing

message 6: by Whitney :) (new)

Whitney :) (wvn1998) | 1808 comments Nope... I dislike writing my own stories. Just reading is my passion :D

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, yes and yes. I doesn't exactly mean you're going to write all the time and want to be a writer. But it will help you, and you will get ideas from reading.

message 8: by Lia (new)

Lia (noitscornellia) | 9 comments Yes, but in my case, I liked writing first. During my childhood, the adults always read to me, and I watch a lot of movies, and there, I got inspired writing short stories and stuff. But then, Harry Potter came, and that's when I started loving books! And that just increased my passion for writing. :D

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I am in middle school, but when I write I think about how different authors write differently, and then I usually write the way I liked the best.

message 10: by Ann Ross (new)

Ann Ross (badasswannabe) | 37 comments I think that reading and writing are interdependent. But I guess there are some cases in which a person who reads a lot doesn't really have the passion and the zest to write. For me, I was introduced to reading first then my passion for writing began years after. And boy did I read a lot of books then before I started writing. :)

ReadingToTheStarsAndBack hell yeah!

vee xD

message 12: by Breanna (new)

Breanna (bremanley) | 148 comments Yeah

message 13: by Reno (new)

Reno Charlton (renoc) | 16 comments I started reading Enid Blyton when I was little and I can still remember, at the age of around ten or something, thinking about how much I'd love to write stories like hers, as I loved reading them so much. I even started writing stories and forcing my older sister to mark them and give me feedback (I did cry if the feedback was bad, thankfully something I've now grown out of!) Writing was always the natural choice for me, inspired by my love of reading, and I now work as a copywriter as well as being an author. The sister who used to mark and feedback on my stories...? She's now a head teacher lol.

message 14: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jenna123) | 3 comments Well I have to say when I started reading It kinda influenced me into wanting to be a writer when i grow up but it may be different for other people

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (BrittyJC) | 1236 comments I think reading does influence you if you get ideas from everyday things. If you read a lot, you might find it difficult to separate imaginary from reality.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Reading influences me a lot

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes!!! You can get ideas, encouragement, ideas of what not to do, ideas of what to do, a good outlook on certain genres, a role model, proper spelling, and much more all from reading books! It made me want to become a writer in the first place.

This may be different for other people, but I can't see how it would be.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (Oceanwhisper) | 28 comments Well, I know reading and books inspired me to write and when I started I couldn't stop so that's how I became a writer. But then some of my friends, they love to read and not to write, but I'm just waiting for them to say 'I love writing' xD

I think it would also be relatively hard to be a writer and not a reader! As you would have trouble thinking of ideas and maybe not have the widest vocabulary, but that's just my opinion! I'm sure their are lots of writers who don't like reading!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

You could always get writing inspiration from everything, like stuffs happening around you, or your imagination. But I agree with Sarah, it would be hard! Or maybe your friends read, but not an avid reader. Everyone read books at some point of their lives!

message 20: by Raevyn (last edited May 08, 2013 02:44PM) (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 43 comments In my opinion, you can be one or both, but if you write you should probably read to get an idea of which names are used a lot in your genre(fantasy writers, for example, don't seem to use Harry or Peeta, because they've already been used in famous books!)