Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

454 views
Questions & Debate > Is it bad to re-read books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kari Jennifer (new)

Kari Jennifer (karijennifer) | 20 comments Some people re-read books, and other people don't. They say that re-reading books is a waste of your time because you know what is going to happen. Is that true? Other people say that they re-read books because the book is good. Do you re-read books? Why or why not?

My answer: Personally, I re-read books after about 2 or 3 years, when I forget how the book story line went. I don't re-read the book right after I just finished it because there are just so many more books to read!


message 2: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I disagree with whoever says you shouldn't. I love re-reading! There are things I pick up in the second, third, fourth, fifth... read that I don't pick up in the first. My esteem grows for the book and I see little clever details that mean more to me now. Since I've grown since the last time I read it, I might like a different character, or a different aspect than when I was younger.


message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments If I really like a book, I will reread it, probably countless numbers of times. There's always something new to get out of it, whether it's just a familiar story or little details I missed, or what. I don't usually, but will occasionally, reread within month of my first reading. Even I will admit that that is a little excessive, but I don't understand when people say rereading is a waste. Although a lot of people say it.


message 4: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 7 comments i love re-reading books! I have read harry potter and percy jackson at least a million times and the first time was the best because it was all new, but i still like reading it over


message 5: by Mayze (new)

Mayze I think that rereading is fantastic! If you love a story you will catch new details almost every time, and it's fantastic to get caught up with the story all over again.


message 6: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments I'm definitely for re-reading books. For me (and probably several other people), when I reread, i catch details and little things that I didn't notice the 1st, 2nd, or even 5th time around!


message 7: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Yes, Rae, I agree with you. You catch little, intricate things that makes the book that much more special.


message 8: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
Re-reading is brilliant. I aim to re-read all my favorite books. One series a year, at least two years since I last read them.


message 9: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) I like re-reading. It isn't bad. But if its a book for children and read it when you are an adult you may not like it sooo much


message 10: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Harshini wrote: "I like re-reading. It isn't bad. But if its a book for children and read it when you are an adult you may not like it sooo much"

And the same for a book you read 2 years ago and just reread and you just didn't like it as much- or it could be the complete opposite. You could re-read a book you didn't particularly like the first time around a few years after that time and come out of it loving that book.


message 11: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Harshini wrote: "I like re-reading. It isn't bad. But if its a book for children and read it when you are an adult you may not like it sooo much"

And the same for a book you read 2 years ago and just reread and you just didn't like it as much- or it could be the complete opposite. You could re-read a book you didn't particularly like the first time around a few years after that time and come out of it loving that book.


message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments That's true, although I'm more likely to reread a book that I did like than one that I didn't. (But I love The Phantom Tollbooth now, despite hating it the first time I read it. [I was too young at the time])


message 13: by kathrine (new)

kathrine  (scarlettshea) | 391 comments I re-read books all the time if I love them!


message 14: by Mia Claire (new)

Mia Claire | 142 comments I re-read books when I run out of new books to read. I also re-read it after a couple of years when I don't remember the story anymore. And speaking of re-reading, I think I need to re-read the whole HP series next summer. I miss the characters and it's been a long time since I first read the books.


message 15: by Yue (new)

Yue I love re-reading, in fact, sometimes I read e-books and if I liked it, I buy the real book as soon as I can, just to re-read it anytime and anywhere I want =)


message 16: by Jade (new)

Jade Varden (jadevarden) | 11 comments I re-read like crazy. There are some books that I re-read every few months because I love them so much. Some books become more wonderful the more you re-read them. It's like visiting an old friend.


message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan | 158 comments Jade wrote: "I re-read like crazy. There are some books that I re-read every few months because I love them so much. Some books become more wonderful the more you re-read them. It's like visiting an old friend."

Exactly how I feel.


message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan Ayres I love to re-read books, for one there's always a bit I miss and also if I love a book I want to go back over my favourite bits. It'd be strange to spend your money on something you're never going to look at again :)


message 19: by Marian (new)

Marian (mariang) | 45 comments I think re-reading books is pretty much like re-watching a movie... and I think it's not bad at all :)


message 20: by cy (new)

cy I love to enjoy the adventure again even if it's not the same as the first time!
and concerning books like the son of neptune, i have to re-read as much as i can because i have to wait TILL OCTOBER TO READ THE MARK OF ATHENA


message 21: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) кαяι wrote: "Some people re-read books, and other people don't. They say that re-reading books is a waste of your time because you know what is going to happen. Is that true? Other people say that they re-read ..."

Re-reading helps you pick up new details and in complex books you are still emotionally affected the second and third time just like the first. I read the Harry Potter books, then re-read them and Snape still made me mad, even though I knew he was good (among other things). So I embrace re-reading and it is not, in any, way, shape, or form a bad thing.


message 22: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
I recently re-read Mockinjay. First time I hated it, second time loved it.


message 23: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) ★ Jess wrote: "I recently re-read Mockinjay. First time I hated it, second time loved it."

I found that the second time I read it I didn't quite hate is as much too.


message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Am I weird? I loved Mockingjay more so than the first two. Anyway I love to reread. I've recently reread all the noddy books when going through my childhood stuff and absolutely loved them. Read all my whinny the pooh ones aswell. I think I'll keep all my kids books :D


message 25: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
I've got all my kids books too, and have every intention of giving them to my own one day. Mum and dad tried to get me to give them away, but not a chance :)


message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Thats what my parents were trying to get me to do :( But I probably won't give mine away to my kids. When I was younger I destroyed several of my dads favourite kids books :/ I'll probably just read them to them :) I found it hilarious that my dad wanted me to give mine away but he hasn't given any of his away at all. He has several boxes of them stashed away. At least I inherited his Hardy Boys...


message 27: by King JT (new)

King JT (easymoneysniper) | 297 comments I love re-reading.


message 28: by King JT (new)

King JT (easymoneysniper) | 297 comments My parents were not interested in me rereading


message 29: by Amna Gillani (new)

Amna Gillani | 141 comments i don't reread the whole book....just parts i've forgotton


message 30: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Amna wrote: "i don't reread the whole book....just parts i've forgotton"

It depends on the book, sometimes I reread certain parts and sometimes I reread the entire thing.


message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

i reread books definitly theres still something you can get out of it lik little details u didnt notice the first time


message 32: by Jordan (new)

Jordan кαяι wrote: "Some people re-read books, and other people don't. They say that re-reading books is a waste of your time because you know what is going to happen. Is that true? Other people say that they re-read ..."

That's exactly how I feel. I think it's great to re read books, if you love them. Maybe not right away, because there are so many books out there. But it's really up to the reader.


message 33: by £mily (new)

£mily (3mily991) | 1107 comments I've read all of my favourite books so many times! With a good book I think you should be able to reread it and each time pick up something new (a hidden meaning, a missed sentence, a small detail etc).


message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

NO! It's great to re-read. I just finished The Hunger Games for the second time and my friend just finished it for the third!


message 35: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Welsh (katrinawelsh_) I like to re-read books that I really love, like the Book Thief, etc. But I only reread books if the last time I read it was 2-3 years ago and I have no clue what has happened. Also, I like to reread books if I don't think that I've fully grasped the awesomeness of it. Like with Book Thief, the second time I read it, I was more aware of writing style and author's crafts and was therefore, appreciated the book more. Somehow, it was even better than I remember. I have quite a long list of books to reread, btw; Looking For Alaska, Perks of Being A Wallflower, The Pact, etc


message 36: by Maxine (new)

Maxine Mathew (maxpam93) Re-reading gives you a chance to note the finer points of the book and makes you appreciate the writer even more. And some books are there to be savored again and again


message 37: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (chloescorner) re reading books is a great thing how can it be bad?


message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I had to memorize the poem The Reader by Richard Wilbur for English, and I think it goes perfectly with its topic. It talks about the joys of rereading, as well as why some people find it pointless. It's a really good poem.


message 39: by anilee (new)

anilee (anileesghost) | 46 comments I don't understand how someone could say that rereading is bad. I can understand how someone could consider it to be a waste, but people read for different reasons.

Some people read to find out what happens. Once they know, their interest is gone, so why would they reread a book? Unless, perhaps, they forget the ending. Then they might be driven to reread a book.

Other people might have a regular influx of new books, so they have no time to reread. They always have something new to read.

I reread a lot. There are certain worlds I love to be in, certain characters I love to hang out with, so of course I want to keep returning. Also, sometimes I worry about running out of money to buy book (an irrational fear, truth be told), so I reread because it gives me more books to choose from. Also, sometimes you just need something familiar or comforting. If you're in a reading slump, a book that you know you love might get you out of it.

More importantly, though, I think rereading is important if you write. Like others have pointed out, rereading often gives you the chance to pick out new details, notice new things that help move the plot along or develop characters better. The first time you read a book, you're paying attention to the story itself, so that you know what's happening. You don't necessarily pay attention to how the story is being told, the diction, the syntax, etc. When you reread, you already know where the story's going, so you can focus on how it gets there, and if you write, it's helpful. Dissecting other books and seeing how they work can give you a sense of what you like in a novel and what you don't, so it can aid you in your own writing. Although truthfully, I'm more likely to reread for familiarity or comfort or because there's nothing else to read than I am to study the novel's construction. That's just a side effect.

Although rereading a book can also make you disenchanted with a book you once loved, since you might start to pay attention to the actual writing and notice things that you dislike.

To me, stories are more about the how than the what, if that makes sense. I usually don't care what happens (so I'll skim ahead a lot); I'm more interested in how the events unfold, and that's what I get by reading the book, once I know the major events. I get inside the character's mind, learn the minor events that led to the end. Rereading a book is similar. But that's a personal thing; a lot of people don't share my love of spoilers.


message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I think re-reading a book you loved is a good idea. You usually pick up on things you didn't notice the first time you read it. If you didn't like the book that well to begin with, then the obvious answer is don't read it again (duh).


message 41: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments "There are certain worlds I love to be in, certain characters I love to hang out with, so of course I want to keep returning."

I love that sentence, Anilee. It's so true, and it puts it so beautifully.


message 42: by Sapir (new)

Sapir | 11 comments Personally, I just cannot reread books. I mean, what is the point of reading a book you know exactly how it ends? I'm quit busy and I don't have much time to read, so rereading a book feels like a total waist of time for me.


message 43: by Bee (new)

Bee (yowgaile) | 18 comments I do reread books when I feel like I missed some details that made me confused and kept thinking about the questions I had after reading the book. Rereading helps me understand more the book. Sometimes, it feels like the story was better than the first time I read it which means that I missed some important details which are keywords for better understanding of the book.


message 44: by Bookgeek_zah (new)

Bookgeek_zah | 43 comments I love re-reading books it's like watching a movie you absolutely love all over again or reliving a family moment that your very fond of. I often re-read books with the maximum being about six times...Why don't u try it? I often do this after a certain time has elapsed, say a year or so and I actually understand even more details and improve my analytical skills.


message 45: by Bee (new)

Bee (yowgaile) | 18 comments Zahraa wrote: "I love re-reading books it's like watching a movie you absolutely love all over again or reliving a family moment that your very fond of. I often re-read books with the maximum being about six time..."

I agree with you. It's like a movie in words :)


message 46: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments GirlOnFire wrote: "Personally, I just cannot reread books. I mean, what is the point of reading a book you know exactly how it ends? I'm quit busy and I don't have much time to read, so rereading a book feels like a..."

That's true if the only reason you read is to find out the ending. But there's so much more to a book than just its plot twists (at least to a good one), and even those can stand up to multiple readings, especially if there is time between.


message 47: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) GirlOnFire wrote: "Personally, I just cannot reread books. I mean, what is the point of reading a book you know exactly how it ends? I'm quit busy and I don't have much time to read, so rereading a book feels like a..."

Why read just to find out the ending? Like Kate said, a book holds so much more. You get to in vision the story again, see little details you missed the first time around, join the character through their adventures. Now, I will say that all books can not take a re-reading as they are just about the end, no more no less. They do not have depth that other books do. Personally, I have a book that I can read over and over again even though I know that one of the main character dies halfway though and that the other makes it though but is determined to not be miserable again. I can read this book over and over even though I know this because the characters have a wonderful depth and so do their actions.


message 48: by James (new)

James (theadventurousbookreader) | 43 comments I belive that re- reading books are a great way to pay attention to important details that you didn't realize before. I can re-read some books for over three times. The reason why I sometimes re-read a book twice or more is because of the character development in the story and the main character action as well.


message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

HEKS NO IT AINT BAD!!! THATS WHAT I DO ALL THE TIME!!! IT HELPS IF YOU MISSED SOMETHING,OR YOUR BORED!!! OR MAYB YOU FORGET AND NEED TO REMEMBER ( pft thats totally not like me...wait mayb it is) but i wouldnt re-read something you dont like. i always re-read books.. it aint bad!


message 50: by literariel (new)

literariel No, not at all.


« previous 1
back to top