Dad and his Weird Friends discussion

The Podcast > Episode 1 - Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Casey (new)

Casey (goochie) | 34 comments Mod
It's finally here!

http://www.bloodygoodhorror.com/bgh/p...

Welcome to the first episode of the Dad and his Weird Friends Podcast! Every other week our own Casey, a.k.a. Dad, sits down with one of his Weird Friends and discusses the book of the week as the dig deep into the world of genre fiction! Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Urban Fantasy and more, they'll cover it all!

In this episode, Casey sits down with fellow Bloody Good Horror Podcast Co-Host Mark Newell as the discuss Ernest Cline's Sci-Fi epic, Ready Player One.

As you can see, Bloody Good Horror has decided to publish this show! If you're already subscribed to the Bloody Good Horror Podcast, Episode 1 is already waiting for you!

Give it a listen, be sure to share your thoughts and comments!

message 2: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 12 comments Just finished the episode - good stuff! Didn't know the author was one of the creators of the film Fanboys, which I absolutely LOVED!

I'd already added Ready Player One to my To Read list here & just put a hold on it at the local library - will call/write in with my thoughts once I've read it!

Regarding downloading one's consciousness/self... it's a concept I've run into before, in books like Kiln People and some of John Varley's stuff (both highly recommended BTW)as well as the film Surrogates (less highly recommended) and I'd be tempted to try it out. Mostly for the "sending yourself somewhere else", but also for the "backup" possibilities. I'm curious to see how Morgan deals with some of the societal issues vs Brin and Varley's concepts.

message 3: by Casey (new)

Glad you liked the show Tracey!

Thanks for weighing in on the question too! :D I've not read Kiln People but I LOVE John Varley!

Horror Bookworm Reviews | 11 comments Just listened to the Podcast, it was great. Good job Casey! Mark was excellent at his comments on Ready Player One. He is probably the best on Bloody Good Horror and was a perfect choice to kick off your Podcast. I hope to hear from him again soon. Loved how you set up the structure and am looking forward to the next one. I wonder how far in advance you can let us know what book will be coming next so if we choose, we can have it read and listen to you and your guests thoughts, that would be fun. It's sad but true that I seem to be a slow reader. It will take me about two or three weeks to read it....I know....it's a curse that I live with...

message 5: by Casey (new)

Mike! Glad you enjoyed the Show! I was pretty nervous about this first episode, but so far the reactions been great!

The next episode will be on The Name of the Wind with That Ghoul Eva/Erin who's a blogger over at BGH followed by Robopocalypse with Amy from Night of the Livingdead Podcast!

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Newell (alright__fine) | 1 comments A fan! Hooray! Thanks Mike! I think I could get into this reading thing :)

message 7: by Ed (new)

Ed Wilcox | 2 comments I love the new podcast and am a big fan of BGH. Ready player one was a pretty good read. Being a child of the 80's I loved all the references. The only complaint I have is that explaining the references got a bit annoying, but overall I enjoyed the book. Thanks for bringing my attention to it and I'm looking forward to future shows.

message 8: by Casey (new)

Thanks for the comments Ed, greatly appreciated! Glad you're liking the show! I've got some good guests lined up, pretty excited for it all!

message 9: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) I haven't read Ready Player One yet (got it on audio) but thought you guys did a great job with the show. I'm a child of the 80's too and hope I get all or most of the references.

message 10: by Casey (new)

BarkLessWagMore wrote: "I haven't read Ready Player One yet (got it on audio) but thought you guys did a great job with the show. I'm a child of the 80's too and hope I get all or most of the references."

Glad you liked the show!

I think you'll get most of them, though I know there's some I missed myself! Was a pretty fun nostalgia trip all the same!

message 11: by Curtis (new)

Curtis | 1 comments Hey Casey, thanks for the book recommendations. I've listened to the first 4 episodes, and although the books in ep. 2 & 3 didn't interest me, I sought out and read Ready Player One and LOVED it. I've never had that much fun reading a book. It was like it was written FOR ME. And I'm going to give Horns a shot too. Thanks again.

Peace & Passion,
Curtis
http://CurtisLovesMovies.wordpress.com

message 12: by Casey (new)

Awesome, thanks for listening Curtis! Glad we found some thing for ya :D

I've been kind of itching to read Ready Player One again, I loved it that much!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Kiln People (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Varley (other topics)