Readit1st Book Club discussion

The Help by Kathryn Stockett > Final Thoughts on The Help

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What were your final thoughts on our first months group read?

Overall, I have to say I loved the book much more than I thought I would. The writing was excellent. The characters were complex and three dimensional. It really took the reader back to that place and time in history. And when I finally found out what the Terrible Awful was, I almost died. I may never eat chocolate pie again. What did the rest of you think?

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy (thecollectedworks) | 5 comments I actually only got the copy that I'd ordered online yesterday :/ Such a shame I missed out on this discussion! But I'm still looking forward to reading it :)

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana Jacobsen (threedanes) | 4 comments Mod
Oh yes Amy can't eat chocolate pie ever again. I felt like you though I felt transported back in time due to the authors writing. It was a great story

message 4: by Maeve (new)

Maeve (mepwave) | 5 comments I adored the book. It is wonderful to be transported to a time and place and experience it from marginalized perspectives. I am always fascinated by what home life was like in different eras and in different places from my own, and the Help explored the political and social dynamics of a southern Mississippi home.

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma Keyes (ekeyed) I really liked the book. I read it in a day without stopping basically. It won't stop me eating chocolate pie though.

message 6: by Trisha (new)

Trisha I really loved this novel! I felt like it was funny, heartbreaking, suspenseful, and powerful all wrapped up into one book. I would laugh out loud (especially about the pie), get all choked up, and feel my heart race at the violent prejudice of the deep south. Fantastic novel!

message 7: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (amalley71) | 2 comments This is one of my favorite books and movies ever!

message 8: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 3 comments I really enjoyed the novel. When I was done I was sad because I wanted to keep reading about the characters!

message 9: by Al (new)

Al (alstone) I really need to read this novel. It's been on my shelf for a while and I refuse to watch the movie before reading the book, so I better get a move on.

message 10: by Ami (new)

Ami (amiradelal) Alecia wrote: "I really need to read this novel. It's been on my shelf for a while and I refuse to watch the movie before reading the book, so I better get a move on."

I took it out from my library and renewed it twice already. I plan on reading it before it's due on the 27th and I go back to school. I haven't seen the movie either, but I'm definitely running out of time, too.