Weekly Short Stories Contest and Company! discussion

Games! > First sentences

Comments Showing 1-50 of 143 (143 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments She heard a loud sound, and an excruciating pain burst up her spine, emulating from a single spot. She turned around and came face to face with her killer.

message 2: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments OH nice XD

The diamond sparkled in the sunlight, and drew the attention of the misfortunate boy.

message 3: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 11091 comments Before it could start, he had come to the end. ;-)

message 4: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments yes it does XD

The fists and openhanded slaps rained down on his neck and face.

message 5: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 11091 comments She raised her white knuckled fist with a slow determined grace before opening it to reveal the line of blood slowly seeping from the shallow cut.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (eyrer) Wicker had no place in Madame's foyer, let alone the bedrooms. Porcelain, however! Madame demanded porcelain!

message 7: by M (new)

M | 11009 comments That in the end I refused to wait for her is the thing I couldn’t admit even to myself, and that marks the closing of a chapter in my youth I would dare to revisit only years afterward, when looking back on that time I realized that a beautiful part of my life was gone forever.

message 8: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 11091 comments Nice sentences, everyone! Hmmmm. What about a thread for last sentences?

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Isabel’s jaw dropped. It took her a moment before she realized this. When she did, she hurriedly closed it. “How do you know that?”

“What? That you’re pregnant?” He shrugged. “You’re in a circus, darling.” He looked away but his eyes didn’t leave her long. They slid back to rest on her. “Do you really think you’re the first widow for us to find?”

message 10: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments Her heart plunged as she saw the blood seeping from under the door.

message 11: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments XD CHOO! CHOO! CHEESE! CHEESE!

The writing of a hundred pens sounded in her ears for hours.

message 12: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 11091 comments Alex, how about this?

She is a nobody now, but she was much younger than that then.

message 13: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 11091 comments That sounds so funny, but I know exactly what you mean. But I must say the amount of writing and reading you do blows me away!

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments His heavy breathing would’ve made him cringe but he was accustomed to it now.

message 15: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments The silence was almost deafening.

message 16: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Decades of research. Trillions of dollars spent. Dozens of failed breakthroughs, funding cuts, and ruined careers. Eight deaths.

One success.

message 17: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Although he knew the moment when he would die, how it happened still came as a delightful surprise.

Feel free to steal. In fact it would be awesome to have a contest based around first lines instead of topics. Just a thought ...

message 18: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 11091 comments It was when she asked 'Where am I?' and no one answered that she knew she had arrived.

And how do you mean, Edward? Do you mean a story told by a chain of people, one line (or maybe better, one paragraph) at a time?

I like the idea a lot. It has an echoe of the popcorn thread, but with a bit of a twist.

Al, would you like to start one - or, since you are very busy, I could start it? Let's see, what might make a good starting paragraph?

It was when she asked 'Where am I?' and no one answered that she knew she had arrived. She raised her white knuckled fist with a slow determined grace before opening it to reveal the line of blood slowly seeping from the shallow cut before picking up the torch in order to crawl up to the attic. Decades of research. Trillions of dollars spent. Dozens of failed breakthroughs, funding cuts, and ruined careers. Eight deaths. One success.

message 19: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Not exactly what I was thinking, but that could work too. You could make another thread for it.

Okay, combining our sentences like that was just weird. That definitely sounds like a story I might read.

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Lol. That would be cool.

message 21: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 11091 comments Thanks Al.
I'm cogitating how to proceed with this idea, which has challenges. And I am seem to be particularly busy with life right now. Stay tuned. I'm thinking of twisting this idea just a bit.

message 22: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments lol

message 23: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments XD Hello Al :)

heres my sentance

The rain pounded on the window as she sat at her table, plotting.

message 24: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments XD LOL

The trees were so green in the unknown forest, it looked like Central Park in the middle of summer.

message 25: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments A shot sounded, piercing the ear drums of those who witnessed the tragedy.

message 26: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments I'm morbid everyday.

She smeared the lip gloss over her lips, ready for business.

message 27: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments ahahahah that's awesome...cause someone is going to smear blood on their lips XD

The pounding on the window sent shiveres down his spine. He knew it was only the tree, but it couldn't hurt to check.

message 28: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments lol i guess

Her eyes darted to the scissors, then back to her attacker. She groped behind her for them.

message 29: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments oooh, nice

Painting was her way of expressing herself. Cutting was his. How it ever worked out is beyond either of them.

message 30: by A J (new)

A J Burton (bullburton) Even cowards can sometimes find courage in their darkest moments of despair but in my case fear truly ranneth over.

message 31: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments I will lol

nice one aj XD

The wrapping paper fell to the floor, forgotten.

message 32: by A J (new)

A J Burton (bullburton) Kat wrote: "I will lol

nice one aj XD

The wrapping paper fell to the floor, forgotten."

Hopefully she hadn't punctured the condom in her haste to unwrap it.

message 33: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments XD Oh gosh

message 34: by A J (new)

A J Burton (bullburton) Kat wrote: "lol i guess

Her eyes darted to the scissors, then back to her attacker. She groped behind her for them."

She found her eyes and put them back in, suddenly everything became clearer.

message 35: by A J (new)

A J Burton (bullburton) I am in comedy mode if you don't laugh I shall go to sulk, followed by deep depression and bad spelling.

message 36: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments I did laugh, after I was finished cringing lol

Vomit splattered out the car window and onto the girl, ruining her sun dress.

message 37: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments Kat wrote: "oooh, nice

Painting was her way of expressing herself. Cutting was his. How it ever worked out is beyond either of them."

I am making this into either a novel or a novella, titled 'A Cutter and a Painter'

message 38: by A J (new)

A J Burton (bullburton) First she tied me up, I was beaten for ten minutes, then she stopped, apparently I hadn't signed my cheque.

message 39: by A J (new)

A J Burton (bullburton) On a serious note I am about 19000 words into a paranormal comedy novel where a man is bitten by a werewolf infected minature poodle and becomes a hu-oodle.

message 40: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments night

message 41: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Aldis walked out of the cotpit and said to his rather wealthy passengers, in a mild tone, "Excuse me, everyone, I thought it would be prudent to explain that the plane is on fire."

message 42: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments My favorite characters are the ones who barely react to danger. The contrast between the actual situation and the way they handle it can, sometimes, actually heighten the feeling of danger (and hilarity).

message 43: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) | 2867 comments lol

message 44: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments A bullet shattered his morning mug of coffee, ruining his whole day.

message 45: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Alex wrote: "He was craving a doughnut."

Clearly that's the beginning of a story about being held hostage at a Krispy Kreme.

I collect mugs, so a bullet blowing through my coffee is twice tragic: Lost mug and lost coffee. Oh, and someone's shooting at me, so thrice tragic, I guess.

message 46: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Nice ... Thanks for the idea; not a family own doughnut shop, but a family owned comic book store. I have pleanty of geeks in my social circle to provide me with facts and resource materials.

message 47: by Kyra (new)

Kyra (Nikara) | 1221 comments I am cursed.

message 48: by Kyra (last edited Mar 25, 2012 06:52PM) (new)

Kyra (Nikara) | 1221 comments LOL, first sentences thread. Don't tell me you're this tired???

message 49: by Michelle (last edited Mar 31, 2012 04:21PM) (new)

Michelle | 181 comments As I stared out the dusty classroom window, I listened to my teacher drone on and on.

That was a terrible sentence. I need some sleep...

message 50: by Jess (new)

Jess Schira Feeling the blood trickling down the side of his face and being unable to wipe was driving him to madness.

« previous 1 3