Creative Reviews discussion

Member's Blog's, Twitters...etc > Social Networking

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 80 comments I have been going through Facebook trying to friend up with my Goodreads Friends. I've been successful with a few of you but some of us use alias's here on Goodreads and I haven't been able to find you on Facebook. Perhaps you don't want to be found or just don't have a Facebook account. That is fine but for those who are interested in becoming friends with each other and sharing links to events and other things, put a comment here and let us know how to connect with you and on which site whether it be Facebook, Twitter or Google +

BTW Mel, you are welcome.

message 2: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Thanks for the post Bill! We have a thread where we have all put our twitters here so you might want to check that out! Google plus is new so great looking out on adding it here!! :)

message 3: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Is there a Facebook thread as well?

My FB is Vered Ehsani (pretty easy), but Cambria will let me know if I should put that info somewhere else!

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Chambers Clark (carolynchambersclark) | 8 comments I use Carolyn Chambers Clark wherever I go. So friend me, already.

Best,

Carolyn

message 5: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Vered wrote: "Is there a Facebook thread as well?

My FB is Vered Ehsani (pretty easy), but Cambria will let me know if I should put that info somewhere else!"

lol, Vered. To be honest I can't remeber if we have a thread for FB.... lmao. We have one for Twitter and Member blogs but I don't know about FB....
This page seems like a good enough place to put it to me. ha ha.
I hope that doesn't show my laziness. Its been one of those days.
:)

message 6: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Here's the link to my FB fan page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Cam...

thanks for any likes!

message 7: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Cambria - you are SO slipping there, lady!

It's ok - you can have the occassional lazy day, just don't make a habit out of it.

message 8: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) I like the page, Cambria! How did you put that contest / video up on FB? Do people have to register or does FB automatically keep track of the Likes to enter into the contest? Pretty cool...

message 9: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Thanks Vered!!! i actually had a designer do it for me. LOL. its actaully pretty easy. i uploaded it all but she gave me the instructions and html codes.

As far as the likes go... you can click on something on the left to see all the people who liked the page. Actually I am headed that way this AM to do that because its time to announce the PDF copy winner. :)

Glad you liked it. I think its neat. It helped me go from 28 to 61 likes in less than a week, so it was worth it for sure.

The designers name is Dafeenah Jameel and her prices are so cheap.
She is on FB and here is her site:
http://www.indiedesignz.com

message 10: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Vered wrote: "Cambria - you are SO slipping there, lady!

It's ok - you can have the occassional lazy day, just don't make a habit out of it."

LOL!!! yeah, i have been slipping lately. too much to do! I need a secretary!

message 11: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 80 comments Who uses Google+. I have an account but I've only visited it a few times.

message 12: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments I am not on Google+ yet, but i hear alot are!

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 80 comments I should probably explore it more, try to figure out how to put it to good use. Right now all I can see are comments from a bunch of celebs. Haven't made any contacts with people I'm familiar with yet.

message 14: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Oh my gosh - I can barely keep up with FB and GR, Twitter overwhelms me, and now there is something else out there?!!! I think Cambria may not be the only one who needs a secretary...

message 15: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Yes, Vered, I know. LOL. its way too much to keep up with. And now there is this new site I have been hearing about called Evofiction. its supposed to be good too.

message 16: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 80 comments It is a lot of work trying to market yourself with these services. I'm about ready to ask for help from a couple of family members so I can spend a little more time writing.

message 17: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments I understand that completely Bill! It does take away from writing time!

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) You won't see me on Google+ as apparently no pen-names allowed - and I DO have a pen-name (more than one soon)... so you can "like" my Facebook page, but that's it for social networks now. Oh, yeah, I have a blog in the right folder too. And an Author Central profile (claim yours if you have books on Amazon and haven't claimed it already - and if you have a blog, make sure the RSS feed goes to Amazon as well as your Goodreads Author page). So all my networking is either here or on Facebook.
But remember, the only way to sell books is to write more books and put them out there! ;-)
Happy writing! :-D

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 80 comments Thanks Barbara. I have a book on Amazon and the author page set up and my blog feeding to it and here as well. I just wish I could sell some books. I continue to write and would anyways. Your words are encouraging though. It seems that those who do manage to sell their work have been putting it out there for a while. I don't know if I'm going to invest too much time into Google+ because it would just be too much to deal with while trying to get my second book done.

message 20: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments I think a lot of people are feeling that way about Google+, its not that we don't want to go there but enough is enough, right?

message 21: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 80 comments Yeah.

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris Eboch (chriseboch) I wrote an article on social networking for Children's Writer earlier this year. After interviewing authors and some of the community relations staff at sites like GoodReads and LibraryThing, I came to a couple of conclusions:

1. If you are an author, it's worth going to every site and making sure your books are there, and putting up an author page. Gather all your information together -- your bio, book descriptions, ISBN numbers -- and you should be able to set up an author page in about an hour on most sites, pasting in the same info, so you could get through them all in a weekend. That's not major promotion, but at least if someone is reading your book they can easily find it (and find your other books, and recommend you to their friends...).

2. It's not worth trying to visit every site and engage in conversation. No one has time to do that effectively, and if you drop by once a month just to post about your work, you're more likely to be dismissed as a spammer than embraced as a friend. So choose a couple of sites that work for you and use them because you enjoy them.

A side note -- there are systems like Hootsuite http://hootsuite.com/ that let you manage multiple social networks, so you can post once and have it go out on twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc. Sounds nice, but I get irritated when I see the same post from the same person multiple times, because they post on Facebook, their Twitter automatically posts to Facebook a second time, and they also post it on Google+. So I don't recommend trying that unless you are keeping your social networks separate.

Some of the social networks focused on books and reading (besides this one, which you obviously already know):

LibraryThing: http://www.librarything.com
JacketFlap: http://www.jacketflap.com/
Amazon Author Central: https://authorcentral.amazon.com/
Shelfari: www.shelfari.com/
Red Room: redroom.com/

On some of them, you can have your blog feed automatically post to your author page, which is an easy way to have updated information without visiting each site (if you blog).

And don't forget to go back and update each page when you have a new book out! (Nobody said being an author was easy, right?)
Chris Eboch

message 23: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) Bill wrote: "Thanks Barbara. I have a book on Amazon and the author page set up and my blog feeding to it and here as well. I just wish I could sell some books. I continue to write and would anyways. Your words..."

Yes, it take some time for sales to pick up and yes, more titles you have, the more you have chances to be discovered. The only thing you can control in this is the number of books you upload - the rest is beyond your control, so ignore it! ;-)
I have a Wordpress blog that I added to Networked blogs to have it posted on Facebook and added the RSS feeds on Smashwords and Author Central. That's all I'm doing. Some say if you spend one hour a week marketing is too much - just get back to writing and upload another book. Which is what I plan to do next year! :-D

message 24: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments thanks for all that info Chris!!!

message 25: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Barbara wrote: "Bill wrote: "Thanks Barbara. I have a book on Amazon and the author page set up and my blog feeding to it and here as well. I just wish I could sell some books. I continue to write and would anyway..."

Um, can you explain what networked blogs are?

message 26: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 80 comments Probably just feeding or streaming to places like facebook when you post something on your blog. Whatever I put on my own blog shows up here and on Facebook as well. Makes it easy. I think that is what she meant.

message 27: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 80 comments I could be wrong. Lol

message 28: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) Bill wrote: "I could be wrong. Lol"

you're right... you're also supposed to "like" them, but I don't because they messed up while I was away! ;-) With Wordpress you add the widget and you're on, with Blogspot I don't know how it works...
Register your blog on Networked Blogs and follow the instructions! ;-) (it's a FB app @ http://www.networkedblogs.com)

message 29: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 80 comments Okay, I'll give it a try.

message 30: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 80 comments So, all of my blog posts will appear on the NetworkedBlogs facebook page? Thanks Barbara.

message 31: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Barbara wrote: "Bill wrote: "I could be wrong. Lol"

you're right... you're also supposed to "like" them, but I don't because they messed up while I was away! ;-) With Wordpress you add the widget and you're on, w..."

You rock! Thanks for the info!!!!

message 33: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments thanks Ashley we will all "like" you. :)

message 34: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Fontainne | 42 comments Thank you so much!

message 35: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments :)