Penny for Your Thoughts discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Unicorns?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crowleaf (new)

Crowleaf For me, I totally believe that they are in existence. They are real.

message 2: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments Interesting thought. Why?

message 3: by Crowleaf (new)

Crowleaf Well, no one has ever proved they aren't real.

message 4: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments That isn't a legitimate reason for anything, as it is nigh impossible to prove that something doesn't exist, thus in any scientific study concerning the existence of something, it falls on the person claiming the existence to prove their point.

message 5: by Crowleaf (new)

Crowleaf There are many pictures of real unicorns.

message 6: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments Give me one, prove its real.

message 7: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (last edited Oct 30, 2011 11:50AM) (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 415 comments Mod
Unicorns are real (Mystery) wrote: "There are many pictures of real unicorns."

There are many pictures of UFOs and the Loch Ness monster, yet that doesn't prove they're real. Not saying they aren't, but that doesn't prove anything. PhotoShop?

message 8: by Crowleaf (new)

Crowleaf No, they're not photoshopped.

message 9: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

How can you tell?

message 10: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments How can you prove that? Seriously, I'm not saying that unicorns don't exist, but since there is no evidence to the contrary, I don't believe in them. If you can give me some scientific evidence rather than "I luv unicorns 1!1111!!!!" then I could believe you.

message 11: by Crowleaf (new)

Crowleaf How do you explain skeletons of unicorns?

message 12: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments What skeletons?

message 13: by Crowleaf (new)

Crowleaf Of unicorns

message 14: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments No, I mean where have we found skeletons of unicorns?

message 15: by Cloudy Storms (new)

Cloudy Storms (cloudstrife) | 347 comments There are many ways to photoshop. Experts, have the ability to put a celebrity face on a bikini model without anyone suspecting it was photoshopped.

Something like this?

UNICORN

Fashion designers are doing wacky things to animals these days. Proved in real life and in Pokemon.

message 16: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments COF, I don't think that fashion designers are genetically mutating animals >.>

message 17: by Cloudy Storms (new)

Cloudy Storms (cloudstrife) | 347 comments Well, I meant that in Pokemon, there's the thing that you dress up your pokemon and do tricks, right? And then your mom FORCES you to wear a tux? Or dress?

And it's something called a hairdo. And the horn could be a head band for horses. Anything.

Iviana (The Sign Painter) Mʘ‿ʘP (thesignpainter) | 350 comments Or it could just be photoshop. Saves time. If you hadn't noticed, the horse's entire mane was taken out and replaced with feathers.

message 19: by Cloudy Storms (new)

Cloudy Storms (cloudstrife) | 347 comments True. And saves money. Unless you payed for the full version of photoshop. :P

message 20: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) It all depends on how you define unicorn. (Semantics- I love it.) If you mean an ungulate (hoofed mammal) with a single horn, then yes- they do exist. They are slight mutations of established species. For example, there is the occasional "unicorn" deer.

If you mean a horse with a horn and magical powers... I have not encountered sufficient evidence to prove their existence or non-existence.

message 21: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments Yeah, since we have no comments from the only peson who believes in unicorns ATM, I think this is archive worthy.

message 22: by Crowleaf (new)

Crowleaf Oh, sorry. I didn't necassarily mean a horse looking thing. There's like a big bull with a horn that I classified as a unicorn.

message 23: by Cloudy Storms (new)

Cloudy Storms (cloudstrife) | 347 comments You know, the first thing that pops into my mind when someone says "Unicorn", is a Pegasus.

I know, like, WTF?

And... Mutations are more likely rather than myths.

message 24: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments If it's an actual animal, like a narwhal, or a mutation, then sure. But what I assumed you mean was a white horse with a horn that looks like its made out of gold.

message 25: by Cloudy Storms (new)

Cloudy Storms (cloudstrife) | 347 comments That's...

HOW WOULD THE HORSE RUN AROUND WITH A 24K HORN? XD

message 26: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments Rudyards wrote: ...looks like its made out of gold."

message 27: by Cloudy Storms (new)

Cloudy Storms (cloudstrife) | 347 comments Even though you said LOOKS LIKE and replied to your own words and bolded teh LOOKS LIKE, just think about it.

Running around with a 24k gold horn? Doesn't sound fun.

message 28: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments I'd assume they would have evolved with strong neck muscles.

message 29: by Cloudy Storms (new)

Cloudy Storms (cloudstrife) | 347 comments Maybe. Maybe not. Who'd know?

message 30: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments Well, they either would have evolved strong enough to carry the horn, or they wouldn't have evolved >.>

message 31: by Cloudy Storms (new)

Cloudy Storms (cloudstrife) | 347 comments Yeah. Just how heavy is a 24K gold (insert subject object)?

I pulled the number out of thin air.

message 32: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) So, horn and the neck muscles would have to evolve simultaneously? As Weismann's experiment with mice proves, changing a phenotype without changing genetics does not result in the phenotype being passed on to later generations. So, a unicorn with a very small golden horn might develop strong neck muscles just from carrying the weight around, but unless a unicorn was born with a larger horn AND naturally stronger muscles, the larger/heavier horn trait would be selected against... Simply put, it's statistically unlikely that a unicorn would evolve a heavy golden horn.

That is, assuming that it's even possible to evolve to have a horn made of real gold.

message 33: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments Yeah, I forgot about the phenotype stuff. My bad >.<

The longer this convo goes on, the less likely unicorns existing seems to me.

message 34: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) Ditto. :P

message 35: by Cloudy Storms (new)

Cloudy Storms (cloudstrife) | 347 comments Sitto. (I secondary that ditto.)

So, archive it? And move on toward something I can actually debate with? :P

message 36: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Archived.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.