Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Why was title deleted?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eva (new)

Eva Dillner (eva_dillner) | 0 comments I'm a Goodreads Author. Someone has deleted my title http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11... Z2A 2012 Art Calendar. Not only are the 11 or so reviews gone from the Giveaway in May of 25 copies, the current giveaway http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/edi... of the calendar and companion book is lost.
According to Patrick this would have required super librarian status and is against policy to do so.
I've spent a lot of money on the giveaways... I'm appalled that you can just nilly willy delete a title.
I happened to discover this by chance. If the moderators consider the title eligible for giveaways, then why would a librarian delete it? Couldn't you at least ask first?
I also think it's blatantly disrespectful to all the winners who took the time to write reviews. Not to mention all the would be winners who marked it as to read. Over 1000 people requested it.
Now would you please add it back. Surely you must have a backup so this can be restored?
Eva Dillner
Author and Publisher

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments If you supply an ISBN then it can be re added to the catalog.

As to why it was deleted I would suspect because it has "calendar" in the title. Calendars are generally not books but that is only a guess.

The only people who may have a back up are GR i.e. Patrick but I don't think they do keep backups - I would suggest you ask Patrick or another member of GR staff.

message 3: by Eva (new)

Eva Dillner (eva_dillner) | 0 comments 978-91-978231-7-3 is the ISBN
So if librarians are on a quest to delete calendars, why would they be eligible for the giveaways? I had no idea librarians were out there on a sweep, me thinks there would be more important tasks? And why is there no warning? I can't be that hard to send a courtesy inquiry before erasing it all together... especially since it was an active title - and connected to my latest book.

message 4: by Experiment BL626 (last edited Oct 30, 2011 11:50AM) (new)

Experiment BL626 | 358 comments Eva wrote: "978-91-978231-7-3 is the ISBN
So if librarians are on a quest to delete calendars, why would they be eligible for the giveaways? I had no idea librarians were out there on a sweep, me thinks there ..."

There's is no practice that I know of that requires or recommends a courtesy PM to let the authors know that a Librarian deleted a "book" of theirs. And I use the word "book" loosely because sometime it's a duplicated edition or not even an actual book.

I have no idea why the calendar, which is correctly deleted based on the Librarian Manual (proof here: http://www.goodreads.com/help/librari...), was even made a giveaway in the first place. Looks like whoever did that didn't pay attention to what was given.

I don't know what you mean by important tasks, but Librarians are trying to make every book page adhere to GR's standard. And that does include NABing things like calendars.

message 5: by Shay (new)

Shay | 179 comments Eva wrote: "978-91-978231-7-3 is the ISBN
So if librarians are on a quest to delete calendars, why would they be eligible for the giveaways? I had no idea librarians were out there on a sweep, me thinks there ..."

I believe that if calendars have ISBN's we are supposed to NAB them, not delete. In other words, put the title and author as "NOT A BOOK". In which case, if a calendar is found to have text- even a few quotations, they can be changed back.

message 6: by Eva (new)

Eva Dillner (eva_dillner) | 0 comments But why? As an author/member I'm a bit dumb founded by this quest... and I think you need to advise the authors you are doing this. It never would have occurred to me that my titles could just disappear.
If calendars are such a no no on GR why are they allowed in Giveaways? The left and right hand are on opposite tacks here....

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments Eligiblity of calendars for giveaways is something to ask GR. I would suspect that anything on GR could be entered in to a giveaway i.e. DVD or Music CD - except for the fact those items get NOT A BOOKED since they are not books despite having ISBN's assigned.

Looking on Amazon it is classified as a calendar and the description also implies this.

The Calendar is a companion to the book Z 2 A,
"Companion Art Calendar to the book Z 2 A, available in print, audio and e-book formats and illustrated in full color with over 60 pieces of original art"

The calendar does not auto import with the ISBN for some reason which also means it may be excluded by GR import code - but GR would need to confirm that.

message 8: by Eva (new)

Eva Dillner (eva_dillner) | 0 comments "In the case of items currently credited to an author who is a member of the Goodreads Author program, proceed extremely carefully and contact the author for clarification if there is any question regarding the status of an item as a book, particularly in the case of calendars, workbooks, or blank books with additional content."

It imported fine when I set up my author account.
It is a calendar with text in it, so in a sense it is a book.

Experiment BL626 | 358 comments Shay wrote: "Eva wrote: "978-91-978231-7-3 is the ISBN
So if librarians are on a quest to delete calendars, why would they be eligible for the giveaways? I had no idea librarians were out there on a sweep, me t..."

We can delete them but...
When an item which is not a book is imported via ISBN into Goodreads, it does no good to delete it: the item will only be re-imported as long as it remains on the feeder site.

it's just NABing them is the more efficient and permanent way.

Eva wrote: "But why? As an author/member I'm a bit dumb founded by this quest... and I think you need to advise the authors you are doing this. It never would have occurred to me that my titles could just disa..."

Same reason why Librarians don't contact authors when we add a book to their profile or when we make any changes to their book pages and etc. If Librarians have to contact authors for everything we do on GR, nothing will get done. It's like asking for author approval to just even breathe.

message 10: by Experiment BL626 (last edited Oct 30, 2011 12:03PM) (new)

Experiment BL626 | 358 comments Eva wrote: ""In the case of items currently credited to an author who is a member of the Goodreads Author program, proceed extremely carefully and contact the author for clarification if there is any question ..."

How much text? Because...

These items are books:
* calendars or something-a-day books with additional content

If your calendar is just purely a calendar, then it's not a book. But if your calendar have additional content, then it is a book and someone wrongfully deleted/NABed it.

message 11: by Eva (new)

Eva Dillner (eva_dillner) | 0 comments Paula wrote: "Eligiblity of calendars for giveaways is something to ask GR. I would suspect that anything on GR could be entered in to a giveaway i.e. DVD or Music CD - except for the fact those items get NOT A..."

Actually only print books are allowed as giveaways.

message 12: by Eva (new)

Eva Dillner (eva_dillner) | 0 comments "Same reason why Librarians don't contact authors when we add a book to their profile or when we make any changes to their book pages and etc. If Librarians have to contact authors for everything we do on GR, nothing will get done. It's like asking for author approval to just even breathe."

A notification would be nice, however. I understand that approval would be cumbersome... but as a Goodreads author I would like to know what is being done on my official page.

message 13: by Eva (new)

Eva Dillner (eva_dillner) | 0 comments I think this post summarizes the discussion:
http://evadillners.blogspot.com/2011/...

message 14: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl It shouldn't be possible to delete a book which is in a Giveaway. That's completely crazy. The programmers need to figure out a way to make such an item ineligible for deletion.

message 15: by Fincalian (new)

Fincalian | 6 comments Eva wrote: "I think this post summarizes the discussion:
http://evadillners.blogspot.com/2011/..."

I think you're being kind of unfair to the general population of librarians. There are specific rules set out in the manual regarding things that are not books, and the manual is very clear about it. These are specifications laid down by Goodreads staff (I think). Either way, a regular (or maybe newbie) librarian probably just followed these rules, and inadvertently deleted your item. Which, while unfortunate, was probably just an accident.

I do agree, however, that a giveaway item shouldn't be able to be deleted.

message 16: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 46 comments As the original post notes, a super librarian was needed to delete the data, which means this thread isn't relevant to 99% of the librarians in this group. It seems that direct contact with someone like rivka is needed, not a librarian group post.

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments Brooke wrote: "As the original post notes, a super librarian was needed to delete the data, which means this thread isn't relevant to 99% of the librarians in this group. It seems that direct contact with someone..."

I'm pretty surprised a super would have deleted it. In general we don't delete those, just NAB them. Personally I don't even NAB them if they are by a GR author (not worth the hassle).

message 18: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Fincalian wrote: "Eva wrote: "I think this post summarizes the discussion"

I think you're being kind of unfair to the general population of librarians."

I don't think your title should have been deleted. It's unfortunate that it was, I understand why you're frustrated about it, but accidents do happen and I agree in Fincalian that you're being unfair to us as librarians in this matter.

I guarantee you that the majority of librarians perform no "seek and destroy" missions, but when they come across something that is not a book in their editing travels, the make the appropriate changes to it. We don't do things to be malicious, we do them to follow the policies that the GR Staff have created for us.

message 19: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 125 comments Out of curiosity, how does one know, when looking at a book's page, that it's up for a Giveaway? In other words, if a librarian were looking at this item and planned on making a change, how would s/he know it even was part of a giveaway in the first place (and then be able to make changes or not, depending on the decision of editing/deleting giveaway items)?

message 20: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45034 comments Mod
When a book is part of a current giveaway, there is a fairly visible box with the giveaway info in the middle of the page, below the book details.

message 21: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 125 comments Okay, thanks!

message 22: by Eva (new)

Eva Dillner (eva_dillner) | 0 comments I've added the title back in, manually. Please leave it alone this time. I added a note to librarians.

message 23: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments Eva wrote: "I've added the title back in, manually. Please leave it alone this time. I added a note to librarians."

You must have put it in the change comment field. There is no librarian note on this book. To add a librarian note, you must click on "add a librarian note" near the top of the page.

message 24: by Eva (new)

Eva Dillner (eva_dillner) | 0 comments ok I found the librarian note field... added a note...