Penny for Your Thoughts discussion

Pennies > Themes in Harry Potter

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Iviana (The Sign Painter) Mʘ‿ʘP (thesignpainter) | 350 comments I have a class at school called Superheroes, where learn the ups and downs of superheroes and how they do. Last class we talked about themes in young superheroes, with a focus on Harry Potter and Peter Pan (the original). I'm gonna talk about HP. I would love to hear your thoughts on this, because I think most of us have read/loved/love Harry Potter.

Themes that we discussed: Death, social class, inner darkness, power (aspiring for, abuse of), racism, coming of age, love, fear/bravery, underdog, adults/kids.

message 2: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments I think that another huge theme is 'origins' though that falls under coming of age a tiny bit. Because of Voldemort's childhood, he lacked a positive role model and was corrupted by his own power. Harry, however, had the same hopelessness and yet he wasn't corrupted, possibly due to the whole 'parent's love' thing.

We had an elective on this at Great Books the week you weren't there.

Iviana (The Sign Painter) Mʘ‿ʘP (thesignpainter) | 350 comments I like that. I feel like I should have brought that up, but I didn't think to.

message 4: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 415 comments Mod
I think one of the more important themes is 'inner darkness.' Rowling crafted her characters so that each had a significant flaw, which is definitely key in a good protagonist. Harry himself has a massive bit of internal darkness in him, which he struggles with constantly. I think the fact that Rowling's good characters have bad in them, and her bad characters have good, is what makes for such an amazing read.