Amazon Kindle & Fire discussion

Apps, Music, Movies... > Amazon Instant Video

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 293 comments Mod
Does anybody ever use Amazon Instant Video to watch things online?

Now that all the video stores around me have closed, I've pretty much had to resort to it. I was just watching Horrible Bosses, which was completely hilarious!

message 2: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments I have a Roku box and have amazon in my channel lineup.

message 3: by Gertie (new)

Gertie (gertiebird) | 4 comments I have the same setup as Stormhawk. It is a nice feature of the Prime program, if you don't have something with a larger selection like Netflix.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Wait a second. What is this Roku business both of you are talking about?

message 5: by Gertie (new)

Gertie (gertiebird) | 4 comments It is one of the devices available to be able to play streaming services like Netflix or Anazon Instant on your tv; works great for folks like me who don't already have a device (like an Xbox) they can use. Roku is a little black bix you hook up to your tv, and then you use it to add channels to it, like Netflix, and some free ones like Radio Paradise, or to connect to some of your accounts online like Flickr. (It isn't at all for browsing around online, just for getting the content onto your tv screen.)

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Ah-ha...so this is a Roku Box. Very interesting. I wonder which of my relatives I can coerce into getting it for me. ;)

message 7: by Gertie (new)

Gertie (gertiebird) | 4 comments Hehe. I bet you could get a cheap one on ebay or craigslist sinvpce they have a new model out. The old one works fine too (I have the old one since zi have had it a couple of years).

message 8: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) | 18 comments Amazon used to do a lot of discounts on the Roku Boxes, I think I got $20 off of mine. Also the Amazon Instant Videos are amazing, the selection is better than Netflix but you often pay per item. I often look for TV shows first on Netflix and end up buying them on Amazon when Netflix doesn't have them. I have yet to watch any of the Prime Instant Videos yet since their selection wasn't very good until recently.

The one thing Amazon needs that Netflix is great about it the queue, I haven't found any way of easily tracking videos I want to watch in the future.

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) Love the instant video on Amazon. I am doing a trail in Amazon Prime. Really enjoying this with my Roku.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) I had not tried any of the instant video previously...just finished watching Charade on the Fire...I was worried that with the streaming there might be the buffering issues I sometimes encounter with other videos on my laptop..no issues, great color I am kinda impressed with it....

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 40 comments Am I right in saying that Roku doesn't have YouTube? If it did it would be exactly what I want. I love that the more expensive models have extras like games. But I need my YouTube lol. I watch a lot of daily vlogs. :)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 40 comments Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) wrote: "Am I right in saying that Roku doesn't have YouTube? If it did it would be exactly what I want. I love that the more expensive models have extras like games. But I need my YouTube lol. I watch a lo..."

Apparently there are a couple of ways to get YouTube so I may have to get myself one of these little babies! :) Thank you everyone. I didn't realize how much that thing did!

message 13: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments Since I'm not around wifi 100% of the time, I wish they did a movie lending service like the prime book lending, where as a prime member I could download one or two movies per month for offline viewing.

message 14: by Robin Lyn (new)

Robin Lyn (dreamergirl) stormhawk wrote: "Since I'm not around wifi 100% of the time, I wish they did a movie lending service like the prime book lending, where as a prime member I could download one or two movies per month for offline vie..."

Give Amazon time and I would not be surprised that they start doing this!

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) I have been using the Instant Video for a couple of months not and still in love with it. I watch TV shows and movies on it probably 4 or 5 days a week. The thing I really like about my Roku is that I can use it on my old, old tv which I thought I was going to have to replace in order to do anything like streaming video.

message 16: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 55 comments Okay. I am new to this Amazon Prime. I have one month free membership. I am going to check it out and see what I think about it. If it something worth while I may just get rid of my humongous cable bill.

Do you have to pay to buy videos being an Amazon Prime member? I do see prices for some of the cable shows and was just wondering.

message 17: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I've been watching some old (to semi-old) Tv shows on my Kindle Fire. It works far better than I expected it to.

message 18: by Gertie (new)

Gertie (gertiebird) | 4 comments Monica I think it just means you can watch the streaming videos free.

message 19: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Monica wrote: "Okay. I am new to this Amazon Prime. I have one month free membership. I am going to check it out and see what I think about it. If it something worth while I may just get rid of my humongous c..."

I'm sorry, I should have read the question.

If you are an amazon prime member, when you select videos on your Kindle Fire, it shows you the "Prime" prices. Many of them say if you want to Download the video, then it will cost x number of dollars and cents. BUT if your a prime member, you can view the video without paying if you don't down load it.

Basically the cloud is just this nebulous.. internet place where videos books music etc can be stored. Your Kindle Fire can access itmes stored in "the cloud". Sort of use it as a portable hard drive in a way.

Your Fire also has two high speed processors designed for just this purpose. So when you View on the cloud, your fire goes out through wi-fi to this internet storage place and plugs (metaphorically speaking). When your done watching it unplugs. The date files and bytes etc that make up the video "file" never transfer to the memoryo on your Fire.

That means you can't share it, or copy it (Burn it) but you can watch it anytime you want as often as you want on your fire.

From what I've seen, the Fire is very good at this and, I don't see much of a reason to download the actual video unless you want to have some "ownership rights."

In the past (pre-cloud/Fire) Trying to stream video tended to be rather hit or miss. Videos would be jerky and freeze up a lot, stutter while playing. So it was considred "better" or more of a sure thing that it would play right if you down loaded it to your computer first, then watched it. With Kindle Fire it just reads it off of the cloud and it works.