Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Two books, one ISBN???

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (father_steve) | 3 comments The ISBN 0002250489 is assigned to a hardbound book: "Finger Foods" by Norman Kolpas, Easy Entertaining Series, San Francisco: HarperCollins, 1996.

When one enters 0002250489 in GoodReads search window, the thing comes back "Repeal of section three of the Daylight-saving Act nu (United States) Congressional Memorial Address, an e-book, published by the U.S. Gov. Printing Off. It also gives the ISBN13 as 2940002250486).

If one goes to the Library of Congress website and enters ISBN 0002250489, one gets a return to

LC control no.: 95050522
LCCN permalink: http://lccn.loc.gov/95050522
Type of material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
Personal name: Kolpas, Norman.
Main title: Finger food / text by Norman Kolpas.
Published/Created: San Francisco, CA : CollinsPublishersSanFrancisco, 1996.
Description: 96 p. : col. ill. ; 24 cm.
ISBN: 0002250489

So what's wrong with our search engine/data base? Or am I just being a goof?

message 2: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments It is possible for two books to have the same ISBN number, most often it happens with reprint editions, but it has also happened with two completely different books.

In this case, however, it actually is wrong. When an ISBN13 begins with 294, it's a BNID assigned to a B&N ebook. They imported with 10 digit numbers in the ISBN10 field that have nothing to do with the BNID number associated with the book. I fixed it and imported Finger Foods, so you should be able to find it by ISBN now. :)

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (father_steve) | 3 comments I don't know Vicki but I have suddenly become fond of the ground on which she walks. Masterful job of sorting this out! My bibliographic detective skills are dwarfed by your (quick!) accomplishment. If you keep Hallowe'en, may yours be enjoyable. Otherwise, happy fall!

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Twist (jennytwist) | 3 comments My problem is that my book, Take One At Bedtime, has been entered twice. I can neither delete the surplus copy . because it has too many reviews, nor combine the two copies because it only gives me one tick box for the 2 entries and I could therefore, presumably, only combine it with a completely different book.

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments The entries are combine, I have merged them - deleted the copy with 12 reviews and no ISBN in to the edition that has the ISBN.

This transfers the reviews over to the other edition, therefor they are not lost

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Twist (jennytwist) | 3 comments Thanks, Paula
You're a star!
x

message 7: by Douglas (new)

Douglas | 28 comments Vicky wrote: "In this case, however, it actually is wrong. When an ISBN13 begins with 294, it's a BNID assigned to a B&N ebook. ..."
Thank you Vicky!
That clears up something that had been confusing me since I did an import six weeks ago. Importing an ISBN10 I ended up with the totally unrecognised http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...
I didn't notice the invalid ISBN13 belonging to B&N's Nook book.