Editio Self-Publishing discussion

85 views
Staying Motivated > Rejections

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Red (last edited Oct 30, 2011 05:57AM) (new)

Red Haircrow (redhaircrow) | 15 comments For me it might depend on the genre how I feel about a rejection, plus the "personal" aspect of the rejection.

In one of the genres I write in, I've had very few rejections. When it did happen, because I'd done my best, loved the story and felt confidence in it, I immediately submitted it elsewhere...and it was accepted. I didn't think twice about it though it was a momentary disappointment.

When I've written in fantasy, speculative specifically, I've had many more rejections but it is such a subjective medium that honestly the work might not fit a certain magazine or publisher, and for me that's perfectly understandable. I literally read the letter or email, may discard or delete, and don't think twice about it. Often it is a form letter: "just didn't work for us".

Only once a letter somewhat bothered me, not the rejection itself because it's their choice, but because the editor said something like "I think you should do this or that with this story..." and to me, that is only their personal opinion. I didn't ask for it. It is my story and I wrote it the way it occurred to me. If they don't want it, that's fine but for someone who doesn't know me to try to tell me to change it to suit their tastes? No.

I suppose then, when I think about it, it's the personal opinion that might be bothersome for me. As a publisher and editor myself, I can say yes or no, and if they ask my opinion, I'll give it to them honestly but I don't consider it my place to give unsolicited opinions.

The only time I did get as indignant as might about anything, I had a publisher tell me although my story was well-written, they only published what they liked to read, and it was a story they wouldn't personally read. And that just seemed such a strange comment because it's the readers choice what they wish to read. I didn't get that, but it strengthened my determination to keep publishing indie when I wished to. So I can still consider it a positive outcome, especially because that particular title has gone on to be my most highly reviewed and rated work.


message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim Taylor (timctaylor) | 35 comments BookieWormie wrote: "I received my VERY FIRST rejection letter today from Books R Fun distributer! Now I feel like a legitimate author!! And I feel a little dirty for letting them take my virginity without buying me ..."

Sorry to hear about your rejection. My advice is to get it submitted somewhere else asap. I find that as a writer it's easy to second-guess why the editor rejected the story and convince myself it is rubbish. Truth is there are many reasons to reject a story and 'not being very good' is only one of them.

As a publisher, I see the other side of the exchange too. It's simply impossible to read all the submissions through thoroughly, or to give detailed feedback. I'd probably annoy Red because when I reject a story,I do try to give feedback if I can articulate some key concerns that stopped me accepting it. But that's only my opinion and you need to see your story's rejection as (probably) one person's opinion and (almost certainly) one taken in haste.


message 3: by Red (last edited Oct 31, 2011 04:59AM) (new)

Red Haircrow (redhaircrow) | 15 comments Tim wrote: "BookieWormie wrote: "I received my VERY FIRST rejection letter today from Books R Fun distributer! Now I feel like a legitimate author!! And I feel a little dirty for letting them take my virgini..."

Why would you say you would annoy me? You don't know me to assume any such thing. As you'd have read, as a publisher also, I am used to saying yes and no, but I give my thoughts when asked. I choose not to automatically give them to others just because I happened to have them. It's just a difference of cultures I believe, not that either way is better than the other, but it's just considered rude where I'm from.

I've simply never understood the motivation behind people who do so, especially in these circumstances when you do not personally know someone, and it's nothing about upset or anything else.


message 4: by Red (new)

Red Haircrow (redhaircrow) | 15 comments In the end, I think that's the most important thing: the readers. I hope they enjoy your book and give you positive and helpful reviews. I've particularly enjoyed Goodreads, as it's helped me find readers, friends and fans I might not otherwise have been in communication with. Good luck!


message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Galford (jgalford) | 27 comments BookieWormie wrote: "Thank you both so much for sharing your experience/feedback! Last month I listed my book on a Goodreads give-a-way and am mailing out copies to the 5 winners today. My understanding is that the w..."

They "hopefully" give a review. Haven't had good luck with it myself. Seems a lot of people sign up for giveaways who don't actually WANT the books. Very confusing to me. Hope you have better luck getting people to do the reviews than I did! :)


message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike Markel (mikemarkel) | 10 comments The fact that many agents (and some publishers) are not highly literate or considerate only encourages my resolution to crack the system.


message 7: by Red (new)

Red Haircrow (redhaircrow) | 15 comments Mike wrote: "The fact that many agents (and some publishers) are not highly literate or considerate only encourages my resolution to crack the system."

You know, that's funny, and I agree. Though some people get down because of the rejections, and yes, understandably so at times...it just makes me more determined to crack that very biased, preferential and subjective system also. Mostly my way is to write the best I can, focus on my stories or work and not allow dismissive opinion to bother me when I have a small group that enjoy what I write. That group may grow in the future, it may not, but my success will be in knowing I don't need someone like that's affirmation.


message 8: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 2 comments I have had three so far, haha. Hey, there's still 200 others.


message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3 comments I don't trust any writer has hasn't been rejected.


back to top