Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

Pieces of Sky (Blood Rose, #1)
This topic is about Pieces of Sky
MEET OUR RESIDENT AUTHORS > Review for book won at previous group drawing

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Larisa (msgodiva1) | 28 comments Pardon, not sure which folder this would best go in as a review of a book club drawing?

From my review on Amazon:
Disclaimer:
I was fortunate enough to win a book from Ms Warner and she generously sent me not just the book I won but the preceding trilogy that begins with this book. Cannot thank her enough!

"Pieces of the Sky" is set in the late 1860s New Mexico territory that is wonderfully described in all its harsh, beautiful glory. The dialogue between the protagonists is witty, sharp, insightful and fun; very reminiscent of a Hepburn-Tracy film. They could get any more opposite of each other and you can feel the magnetic attraction between them. She's wound as tight as only an aristocratic Victorian English Lady can be and he's the epitome of the pragmatic 'needs-must' rancher.

The reading cherry on top of this delicious tale? There wasn't a single gratuitous moment in the entire book. This book is on my reread shelf and Ms Warner's future releases are on my must-read list.

The plot unravels in technicolor stereo, inexorably taking us to a nicely done ending with just enough twist to be fresh and still the expected Happily Ever After.

*Spoiler Alert*
A testament to Ms Warner's writing - I am a horse lover, so I usually avoid books that a hard on the horses. The hero has to shoot his steadfast gelding at the very beginning of the book. It is so realistic that I didn't realize I was already hooked because I had to know how he was going to get out of his dire situation. The last time an author did that to me was decades ago, and it was Louis L'Amour introducing my 8th grade heart to the Sackett brothers. The Wilkins brother would get along grand with the Sacketts.

message 2: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new) - added it

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Larisa wrote: "Pardon, not sure which folder this would best go in as a review of a book club drawing?

From my review on Amazon:
Disclaimer:
I was fortunate enough to win a book from Ms Warner and she gener..."

Thanks for sharing this Larisa.

message 3: by Kaki (new)

Kaki Warner | 8 comments Thanks so much, Larisa. You do know how to make a lady's day!