Penny for Your Thoughts discussion

What Ifs > What if: No one was able to talk?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crowleaf (new)

Crowleaf I'm wondering: What would happen if no one could talk? Would the world be better, or worse?

message 2: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 415 comments Mod
Does this mean we have developed telepathy yet? ^_^

message 3: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments That's one of the more interesting questions I've heard in this group. I think we still would have developed some method of communication, possibly sign language. I don't think it would have been radically different, except to an outsider.

message 4: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

That's true. And it would also screw with all those theories that the development of a common tongue is what made early humans distinct from other primates, in a way.

message 5: by Crowleaf (new)

Crowleaf That's interesting. Mind telepathy? Maybe. I'm sure that might get kind of chaotic in a teacher's mind if she asked the whole class something and everyone answered.

message 6: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

True, but in many sci-fi novels and movies, a race that has developed telepathy has slowly moved away from the spoken word, preferring to use telepathy, and eventually losing the capability or will to speak.

message 7: by Crowleaf (new)

Crowleaf Or what if there was no communication at all? No one could do anything but their own stuff?

message 8: by Cloudy Storms (new)

Cloudy Storms (cloudstrife) | 347 comments That would be catastrophe. Here's a crazy example.

GLaDOS: Mr. President, are we going to launch the Atomic Bomb?
President: *shakes head no*
GLaDOS: I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you.
President: *writes on notepad* NO.
GLaDOS: You are not saying anything. So, I am assuming it is a yes.
President: WTF? Man, we should've got Wheatly instead.

message 9: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Lane (leighmlane) | 18 comments Did you ever see the Buffy episode, "Hush"? This post reminded me of it for some reason.

On topic, I think we'd all be speaking in sign language if we couldn't talk (or texting?). Communication is far too important to human society.

message 10: by Grouphug (new)

Grouphug | 12 comments great! we can all learn to write and use words to communicate
anyway its gonna happen soon with all this tec around

Iviana (The Sign Painter) Mʘ‿ʘP (thesignpainter) | 350 comments It's sort of all a development thing. If we never came up with speech, either a) we would make incomprehensible noises that would some how be comprehensible or b) we'd have some other form of communication. If it happened suddenly (i.e. now) then we could probably figure something now (i.e. via textual communication).

Either way, there are many things that words cannot begin to describe and can only hope to even scratch the surface of the object described.

message 12: by Cloudy Storms (new)

Cloudy Storms (cloudstrife) | 347 comments If no one was able to talk, maybe we would develop a kind of sixth sense? A hypothesis, yet kind of possible. A sixth sense is a pshycological(not sure if I spelled that right) thing, as it happens when someone is adjusted to a certain type of situation. Maybe we would develop some sort of telepathy, maybe because we were all adjusted to being speechless?

message 13: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments Occum's razor suggests that we would develop simpler ways of communication (sign language, chances are) before telepathy.

Iviana (The Sign Painter) Mʘ‿ʘP (thesignpainter) | 350 comments Which reminds me: science/tech is getting closer to that telepathy thing.

message 15: by Cloudy Storms (new)

Cloudy Storms (cloudstrife) | 347 comments @Rudy: Um, when do you learn about "Occum's razor"? Like, what grade?

@Ivi: The latest advancements in tech is starting to scare me more than awe me, but I don't see how it's getting closer to telepathy.... Unless you're talking about AIs. If you are, I'm starting to see the IPocalypse.

Iviana (The Sign Painter) Mʘ‿ʘP (thesignpainter) | 350 comments Meh. I'd be more worried about google than Apple, to be perfectly frank.

message 17: by Rudy (new)

Rudy | 484 comments I'm in 10th grade. I heard about Occum's Razor in 8th grade. It's a remarkably simple concept: "The simplest solution is the most likely."

I'm not afraid of technology, actually. The sci-fi idea that Artificial Intelligences may take over and try to kill us all is, to be honest, stupid beyond belief. It comes from Luddites who don't understand technology. Technology can be a weapon, but never a fully automatic one. Besides, neither of those two are really going to take over. Apple just deals with hardware, and due to its pricing isn't not really as wide spread as most PCs. Google is expanding, but it'll hit its reach soon, since its stretching itself kinda thin. It's not going to be any of the giant companies that creates AI, there isn't enough money in it.

message 18: by Cloudy Storms (new)

Cloudy Storms (cloudstrife) | 347 comments Gah, stupid GR. I HATE it when my posts are doubled for no reason...

@Rudy: I am wondering why I'm discussing complex discussions about things that I don't exactly know. 7th grade science is ALL Biology. Ugh, I don't really want to learn how snails mate. Can't wait for 8th grade.
I guess I'm just slightly paranoid. I should go watch more comedians. Helps me chill.

@Ivi: Google has taken over the Android Market.... What's next?